Shot execution

jgleas114

So I have noticed some similarities with properly executing a shot with my bow and making consistent shots with my rifle. I feel like the trigger control is some what similar. Am I the only one that has noticed it?

You fight dumping the thumb barrel/ punching the trigger on a index release. You fight the same tendencies with a rifle right? Im new to the long distance shooting discipline.

Most guys experience target anticipation bow shooting. So thus, the punch of the trigger.

About the only similarities in my opinion is you want a surprise break, though it's not really something I think about myself anymore on a rifle.

You really want to get as stable as possible. The less error required of the shot, the more steady you ought to be. Like a 10 inch target at 1000y.
It starts with fundamentals of marksmanship, building a shooting position, then of course good data and calls. Of course, this a simplified explaination. Fundamentally, if you concentrate on the surprise break, you'll get in the habit of not having tendencies to fight.

Clean backwards press, surprise break, follow through during the recoil ( follow the shot), rinse repeat. Use the pad of index finger, not the joint, all that stuff.

To fix punching the trigger on the bow, I actually switched to back tension for a long while. I only switched back to index trigger (spot Hogg wise guy) in the last 3 years and have been fine making shots. I got that idea from John Dudley I reckon.

Last edited: