short vs long mag

I had mine made up with a Proof Research 1:7.5 twist Carbon Fiber and is also a 26" length. I can shoot > 1/4 inch but I am still trying to decide which bullets to use. I am mainly looking at the Berger, Hammer and Nosler. I want to get set up on one bullet for each 264WM's that I have then I don't need such a variety of things around.
I, too, am still playing around. I have plenty of Berger 140s and 156s and might stick with it. But I might explore the 144 and 153.5.

what makes you choose 1 over the other in the same caliber? what do you gain or lose from 1 or the other?

The only reason I have ever bought any short actions is because from time to time I find screaming good deals on used short action rifles and just can't pass them up. Otherwise I would only buy long actions. My family has three short action rifles, all rebarreled to 6.5 SAUM.

If you shoot large capacity cases and heavy-for-caliber bullets, with a short action you will always end up fighting mag length after the lands retreat a bit.

Best to buy a long action set up for at least a 3.850" magazine.

Last edited:
My custom 264WM runs a custom chamber and throat, 29.5" barrel in 8" twist, throated for 150g class bullets. It is a switch barrel on a trued REM 700 Sendero II. It has barrels in 7STW and 6.5-300 Weatherby (unfinished at this time) which is 30" and 8" twist.
This is the rifle.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 58
I, too, am still playing around. I have plenty of Berger 140s and 156s and might stick with it. But I might explore the 144 and 153.5.
The 144's are great bullet and very easy to develop a load for. I shoot them in 2 different rifles and both were the easiest load development I've ever done. I use them for hunting also and open up the tip .002, @lancetkenyon turned me onto opening up the tip. They're lethal and super accurate. Reduced BC .002-003 and they're dead on at distance.

I had good success with 270 SM. Anyone have any tips on how to get the short mags to feed better? D.
I've really never had any issues with my WSMs feeding with proper bullets. The one I have had issues with is my 243 WSSM, but that was only with hollow points. Mine are all A-Bolt IIs in 243 WSSM, 7mm WSM, and 325 WSM. What rifle are you shooting?

The 144's are great bullet and very easy to develop a load for. I shoot them in 2 different rifles and both were the easiest load development I've ever done. I use them for hunting also and open up the tip .002, @lancetkenyon turned me onto opening up the tip. They're lethal and super accurate. Reduced BC .002-003 and they're dead on at distance.
Cool, thanks!

40 years ago I would have been all over these new short mags popular today. But now I avoid anything that has MAG attached to it. It's hard enough to get through the day without having my shoulders hurting as well. I will load them, just have the owner shoot them. My cut off without a break on it is 6.5 PRC. That being said, one guy has a Remington custom shop 300 RUM that is now a push over to shoot. .243 recoil. Break came from Australia. But the short mag concept is something I like.

This has been my take on all magnum offerings.
I look for capacity to match bore diameter that will give great expansion ratio numbers.
For instance, the 300WSM is perfect for 25, 26 & 27. Loses out in 30 & 33. Same goes for RSAUM.
The 300WM is a niche size good for 6.5, 7 & 30.
The 300 Weatherby is great for 6.5 through 375, even 416 is doable.
The 8RM is great for the same above.
The 338WM is another niche size that can utilise 25 through 375 and maybe 416 if you like slow.
All the new magnums have pretty much had all the development in calibre already done.
Personally, my love affair with the 300WM will never sway, but I love the RUM nearly as much. I have a 300RUM, have had both the 7 and the Edge and looked very hard at both the 338 & 375 versions.

Cheers.
I've been a lurking and learning member for a number of years. I'm 76 and have been a reloader sine around 1965. I got into reloading to improve the accuracy of my Rem 700 and to allow me to shoot more on my limited paper route earnings. This is my first post. Your comment "capacity to match bore diameter that will give great expansion ratio numbers" is a mystery to me but it seems like something I should understand. Would you mind explaining the concept or pointing me to where I can get an explanation?

Gino, welcome from North Central Wyoming!

You're at the right place for answers. My very limited take on efficiency could be summed up as a process of "diminishing returns". At some point as the case capacity/powder volume increases the bullet velocity does not increase in a linear progress.

In other words, let's say (just my definition not actual numbers) a 300 WM gives 200 fps velocity gain over a 30-06 with a 10% actual increase in powder. The 300 RUM may need an additional 20% in powder to gain an additional 200 over the 300 WM.

That may not be a perfect (hell even accurate) explanation…..but, that's the way I see it! memtb