Shawn Carlock wins the USPSA Precision Rifle Nationals.

I'd be careful Shawn, being an armchair general, this sounds like better practice for helping out in IRAQ than shooting milk jugs at 2+ KM. Soon there will be calls for you to go solve the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Besides, Shawn Carlock sounds too much like Carlos Hathcock

I've included a couple links to USPSA
What Is Practical Shooting?
How Do I Get Started & What Equipment Do I Need?
Double Kick ***!

rpix6.jpg
rpix7.jpg
rpix8.jpg
rpix9.jpg
rpix10.jpg
rpix1.jpg
rpix2.jpg
rpix3.jpg
rpix4.jpg
rpix5.jpg

It is funny you mention that, given my previous competition record, and mostly my law enforcement tactical back ground, I was offered 2 different jobs in the sand box for a scary ammount of money. However I like my family and taking off for a year wasn't in the works. The one agency was the standard, we understand you have a background in blah, blah, blah. The other recruiter has obviously surfed through here based on the repeated mentioning of extreame range engagements over 1000 yards, and I understand your 338 Edge would meet our mission specs with the results you are getting. Before wife and kids came along I'd have been on the first plane out. There has been some talk of stateside training and equipment supply, that is the way I'd have to support the effort at this point in my life.

Well Done.

With family life settling done to a dull roar, I am hoping to get back into comp shooting maybe as soon as this fall.

Focus on F class as this is the most common available in my area. "Sniper" type shoots are a possibility down the road.

Any links to see the rules/tasks of this type of comp?
Jerry

Shawn,

What advantage does the 260 have over the 308? I see more and more 260's used in competitions.

In the "real world" would the 260 be better than the 308?

Thanks

Devin

I am fairly sure that I was one of the first ones in precision action shoots to start using and building 260's in place of the 308. The 260's bc is nearly double and shoots about 200 fps faster. This makes for a flatter and more importantly, less wind sensitive round. The 260 drifts almost exactly half as much in the wind as a 308. The 260 doesn't go subsonic until about 1200 yards tending to make it a much better performing round at extended distances. I shoot mine at 1150 quite often. As far as real world performance the 260 will best the 308 in almost every department, wind drift, trajectory, penetration, supersonic distance, less recoil, it has a fair amount more energy at distance than a 308, and it is compatable in any 308 platform. There are a few drawbacks although small ones, No one produces factory "match" ammo that I am aware of, and it has almost no tactical documented track record. That being sais I'd choose it in a heartbeat over a 308.

I have always wondered myself why rounds that beat out the 308 were not shot in real world instances. But you answered it pretty much perfectly Shawn, it is just not cost effecient or practical to have someone loading match grade ammo for every sniper in the field.

It is a shame since the 260 beats the 308 out so well, but I do see the point why it is used.

Congrats Shawn, **** nice shooting. Cant wait to see you and Kirby on the big screen soon

Congrats
Steve

Great shooting Shawn.
Ive been beaten enough times by a .260 while my .308 that I will NOT be shooting a .308 for my upcoming shoots.

I think more people would go to these shoots if they knew where to look. I had no idea the USPSA had such a event. There needs to be a site or something that all of these places post a schedule of events.

Heat,

The problem with USPSA is that they require that you shoot the 3 gun nationals in addition. Carl and I are going to request to run and host the USPSA Area 1 Precision Rifle Championships, this match will run under USPSA manualy opporated rifle rules. We will be running the match at the Ephrata Sportsmans Club in WA. I will post it several places when we set a date. Also check www.sppl.us for the dates of their 3 or 4 club precision rifle matches, each year. The action precision rifle matches are a whole different game compared to traditional tactical / sniper matches.

Maybe this site is in need of a rifle competition forum, which could include Hi Power, 3-Gun and Sniper Competitions along with match results. Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.