Setting up Forster benchrest sizing die help

Look up from bottom of die at expander ball. Can see clip just touching ball and adjust stem to appropriate depth, then test.

For the straightest necks, I set the sizer die as I want it and then adjust the expander ball so there is maybe 20 thou of withdrawal when the neck contacts the expander. Has to be done by sizing a case and feeling it contact afterwards. Then I pull the case out, remove the decap rod, screw the ball up or down to what I think will work and try again. Usually get it where I want it in 3-4 tries.

For the straightest necks, I set the sizer die as I want it and then adjust the expander ball so there is maybe 20 thou of withdrawal when the neck contacts the expander. Has to be done by sizing a case and feeling it contact afterwards. Then I pull the case out, remove the decap rod, screw the ball up or down to what I think will work and try again. Usually get it where I want it in 3-4 tries.

Ok boomtube. I need a play-by-play on that one. How exactly are you doing that? Oh, by the way, how's that global warming thing working out your way? I can't really tell on my end of the county!! Ha ha.

I'll try to get back to you later on the details but I'm going to take a shower and go to bed now, tired of shoveling sunshine off the walk and driveway so I can get out tomorrow. I'm almost up to my knees in "global warming" and been freezing my butt off for the last several weeks. :D

The 3 acre pond out back is thick enough some kids have been playing on it. If Algore doesn't get GW stopped pretty soon we all gonna freeze before we can drown in the vast artic melt-down. :rolleyes:

I'll try to get back to you later on the details but I'm going to take a shower and go to bed now, tired of shoveling sunshine off the walk and driveway so I can get out tomorrow. I'm almost up to my knees in "global warming" and been freezing my butt off for the last several weeks. :D

The 3 acre pond out back is thick enough some kids have been playing on it. If Algore doesn't get GW stopped pretty soon we all gonna freeze before we can drown in the vast artic melt-down. :rolleyes:

Alright boomtube. Take care my friend. Take it easy.

I screw the expander lower than it should be, but not so low that the bottom of the stem will contact a case and bend the expander stem.

I then size a case in the die.

I then screw up the expander until I can feel that it is touching the neck/shoulder juncture. I then screw the expander a little lower to provide clearance. Probably a revolution or 1 1/2 (haven't done it in a bit).

I then withdraw the case and with the expander just starting to contact the case neck I tighten the expander lock ring (although it's not really "tight" but self centering because of the rubber washer in the newer Forsters).

You then need to test a few cases t obe sure that the expander is low enough and that you aren't collapsing case shoulders. Also bear in mind that if you use thicker brass the setting may be wrong and you may buckle shoulders.

Ok, thanks for all of the good replies guys. Just one problem......I don't know what the hell you are talking about!! Ha Ha... This is one of those times that I think it's best to see it done rather than have it explained how it's done. I tried google, but cant find any videos on setting this thing up. Any ideas? I'm sure it's really simple, but I just aint picking up what yall are laying down.

CRNA---I have Forsters for my 25-06 and 30-06s that I bought and my buddy used them to load for me until recently when another friend gave me all of his reloading equipment. The way I read the instructions for the die is that it is already factory preset. If you read your instructions and they say the same thing, I think you won't have to do anything if you haven't messed with that adjustment yet. I just ran the die down onto the shell holder with it up all the way according the instructions. I ran 50 cases through to deprime the once fired brass, as well as 50 new brass. I ran them all through my rifle and all went in and the bolt closed with exactly the pressure that I like. I think I'm okay and I hope somebody will tell me on here if I'm not! I don't plan on priming and loading any for a while yet, but I did already set the seating die up for my RCBS press according to the instructions for it using loaded rounds as my reference to do it. This was necessary for both dies because he was using a Lee press.

If you have misplaced the directions, they are located at link....At least those who are trying to assist can point out using the same document your looking at...

Reloading Dies

"When the case is withdrawn from the die, most of the neck is still in the neck sizing portion of the die, keeping the axis of the neck and case in alignment."

Forster dies have small pressure/lube hole in the threads of their br dies. Put a small paperclip in the hole and adjust as they direct, looking up from the base of the die. test depth by sizing a piece of brass and see if it drops out the fired primer completely without going too deep.

that's pretty much the way I do it. That gets me close, and then I often make small adjustments from there.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.