Serious question

While I'm no grandpa like all you 60's folks. Looking back I feel like I was right in that transition of technology. I can relate to some stories but I also was in college at the invention of Facebook. I tell people I was born 100 years to late. My kids screwed. Once I finish my current contract it's off to the hills to live the simple life on a piece of land. Our generation missed the ball, my only goal is to show my son the outdoorsman lifestyle and raise him in the dying ways. You guys had it better for sure. Things are moving to fast nowadays and social media is a disease.

I'm on the older side of millennial, and my life I'd sadly not recreatable. Thank God I grew up before pay to play hunting hit the west, got out of college before smartphones and married before tinder ruined dating.

There is a tendency to rose color the past, but objectively my childhood was better than kids coming up now.

The railroad came through the little town of three hundred I grew up in. I would walk those tracks out of town either way for miles and miles. Towns laid at the other end ten miles away in both directions, and I often hunted squirrel, rabbits, or quail almost to those communities. Squirrels were beyond abundant one year and dad shut me down as the fridge was full, the neighbors were full, and I was getting into his quail ammo. Two creeks bordered town, and I spent my summers riding my bike to spots up and down those creeks, and fished while me and my best friend waded from hole to hole. We had all the holes named by the size of the biggest bass we had taken out of them. Definitely simpler times, and very good times, and the best way for someone like me to grow up.

For those of us who lived through the 60's and after before everything was so messed up and fast paced.
What do you really regret that your children and grandchildren missed out on??
For me it was being able to live a life without anything electronic, and being able to open your imagination.
Spending time fishing all by yourself or just a sibling, exploring everything outdoors by yourself and learning life lessons.
I had to ride my bike to town 3 miles and another 3 miles to get to school.
I wish my children and grandkids could have experienced life the way it used to be before all this fast paced technology life they have to live
Some friends accused my wife and I of being the strictest parents they have ever met. Besides ranching and farming, we had our sons experience most of what my wife and I went through growing up. I do not consider ourselves strict; instead, we have certain expectations. Growing up, there were many things I did not care about. I did not realize at the time, my parents were preparing me for life's challenges. For that, I am very thankful. Our sons (now 35 and 32) also thanked us for doing the same.

I was born in 1953 so I remember the 60's very well!Big family,after breakfast everything we did was outside.Chores galore but smiles often went with us,mom saw to that.We watched tv in the evening and saturday mornings then the tv got turned off.First car was a 1951 chevrolet 4 door car 3 on the tree!If you know what that is you too miss the 60's.
I miss the music and now I have a bunch of cd,s of the old stuff and go back to the 60's often.But Mom is not there,so sad!

Trapping to pay for my first car, a 72 Comet. Having no trouble going to town to pull together a baling crew, working on the farm because that's just what most did, and yes I rode my bike most places until I did get that Comet. Taking the model 25 to school because we were hunting rabbits after the last class (if we didn't already skip school) and nobody cared. And most all the things you all have mentioned above. Good read…

I'm half the age most of you are, and was in that transitional period after the golden era. I was born in 91, thankfully in a remote area. Isolated on a hilltop, we had 8 acres that we rode laps upon laps through on our bikes and dirt bikes. Had a rifle range in the back yard (a shaky bench and a soft stump).

Cells phones were just becoming a thing. I remember my dad hated the idea of them, but when he started his own business he had to get one. It rankled him something fierce. Now he can't put his cell phone down, or if he does it's just to turn on his laptop or table. Bit of irony there.

We had dial up internet until I was 12 or so, 3 channels on tv until I was 16. All cell phones were flip phones or Nokia brick phones, nothing "smart" yet.

I'm thankful I was fortunate enough to grow up remote, with woods around us. There's a lot of lessons to be learned (nobody else in my 6th grade class had to put down the occasional deer shredded by a cougar in the back yard!) that most kids I knew never had the chance to experience.

I have an adopted brother who's 16 right now and I feel for his generation. I can't imagine how hard it is to grow up in an era of digital everything, ubiquitous smart phones, regular school shootings, increasing teenage hard drug use… the list goes on. Makes me dubious about having kids of my own, and wondering what their world will look like in 15-20 years

Another HUGE thing. When I was in Grade School at a Little School House we were allowed to bring in our .22 rifles and single shot shotguns. The teachers had us put them in the closet in the back of the room. We would hunt on the way to school and on the way home.
Boy think about that to todays environment!!!!! Being able to bring a firearm to school with you.

Another HUGE thing. When I was in Grade School at a Little School House we were allowed to bring in our .22 rifles and single shot shotguns. The teachers had us put them in the closet in the back of the room. We would hunt on the way to school and on the way home.
Boy think about that to todays environment!!!!! Being able to bring a firearm to school with you.
Society has drifted so far it is hard to fathom it. Men calling good evil and evil good, madmen doing unthinkable things to people. My hardest thing to grasp is how quickly everything descended. We're not talking three or four hundred years; the last forty years chaos has come to rule. There have always been bad things happening, but there were lines that were rarely crossed, now is seems there are no lines, and it is a competition to see how evil, evil can become. Me thinks it's a right time to make sure one is right with God; something is definitely up.

Society has drifted so far it is hard to fathom it. Men calling good evil and evil good, madmen doing unthinkable things to people. My hardest thing to grasp is how quickly everything descended. We're not talking three or four hundred years; the last forty years chaos has come to rule. There have always been bad things happening, but there were lines that were rarely crossed, now is seems there are no lines, and it is a competition to see how evil, evil can become. Me thinks it's a right time to make sure one is right with God; something is definitely up.
To Ignore Evil is to be an Accomplice to IT!!!

Recent Posts