Sendero 300 VS Building a rifle???

Wisner74

Hello and thanks in advance for any help:

I have a Sendero 300 WinMag, I put on a jewel trigger, brake, Nightforce scope. The gun shoots well but is almost to heavy to hunt with. Was going to put a 26 oz stock on it to drop weight but that only puts it at 10.5 lbs. Went to my local gunsmith here in Reno (J & G Gunsmithing) to see if he could turn down the barrel. He said don't do it. He said to Re-barrel. I asked with Obermeyer or Kreiger. he seemed to want to do a shilling. But he would also blue print the action.

So here I am thinking to rebarel with an Obermeyer # 4 or 5 fluted, blue printed action, and new stock. Some where in the 9.5 lb range.

But would it be better to just build a new rifle??? I am new to This. I already have an older m77 300 win mag my dad never shot. I put a mark 4 on it and it shoots great. only weighs 9.5 lbs. so maybe just blue print this action…….IS IT WORTH IT??

As far as building a new long range hunting rifle i am all confused now because I started reading….lol. I here about these Deviant Ultralight actions and I am like wow….they look nice but are they worth it??? is it better to just buy a Remington 700 action and have it blueprinted???

Right now I am thinking Deviante Ultralight action, Jewel trigger, 26" Obermeyer #4 0r 5 fluted Barrel, muzzle brake, precision Edge stock…..Is it worth it????

Next What Caliber??? I live in Nevada and Hunt Elk, Deer And Antelope. Plan on a sheep and goat hunt in the future. Did a red Stag and Tahr hunt this year in New Zealand with the m77.

My buddy swears by the 300 rum. My dad is all about the 7mm. don't see any reason to have another 300 winmag.

I am by no means a guru when it comes to this…….just read a lot. I am that type that sees $$$$$$$ signs and I think it is good. But I really don't want to waste the money.

Something about the custom building and piecing together sounds nice and makes it personal to me. You know, to build the rifle you always wanted.

I just need some direction for a long range rifle that weighs in at about 8.5 lbs and hits hard

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Unless you weigh less than 125 pounds soaking wet 10.5 pounds (I'm assuming that's with the scope mounted) shouldn't be too heavy. Remember this is a long range forum thus every one, as in me, assumes all rifles are for long range hunting where weight, to a point, is an advantage.

My lightest LR rifle is 12 pounds but then I don't walk and stalk and a pack animal carries my rifle and most other stuff. :)

The difference between a fully custom rig and an blue printed factory rifle is possible a fraction of MOA in group size and tons of dollars.

I will mention that a custom rig built by a quality builder will save a ton of money and time in developing loads and burning powder. If you have the bucks go the custom route but you're on your own regarding "your" gunsmith.

If you want a reference/recommendation send me a PM.

I have gone down that road. I think the benefit you will gain by getting a new barrel or a new rifle altogether are outweighed by the money spent. In other words, too much money for so little. What are u going to gain? A pound lighter? Not worth it.

Check out the Kimber 84M Mountain Ascent. It's like 5lbs or something silly. Offered in many powerful cartridges up to 300 Win Mag. Comes with a muzzle brake already.

You can even get it in 280AI! Which I thought was cool of them to offer. :)

You can get rifles down to 7lbs for around $400. Seems like to get down to 5lbs it'll cost you close to a couple G's.

Thanks for all the help and thoughts. Think i am going to go with a new barrel and have the action work done.

Thinking about all this has generated other questions. Talked to Boots Obermeyer about the barrel and he recommended me going to a 30-338. Now I am all screwed up again. Think I will just keep it a 300wm, go with a #4 0R #5 BARREL contour fluted 26". This will keep the rifle weight around 8.5 to 9 lbs.

Before I make the order…..any thoughts on the 30-338.

Any gun smith recommendations?

Thanks for all the help and thoughts. Think i am going to go with a new barrel and have the action work done.

Thinking about all this has generated other questions. Talked to Boots Obermeyer about the barrel and he recommended me going to a 30-338. Now I am all screwed up again. Think I will just keep it a 300wm, go with a #4 0R #5 BARREL contour fluted 26". This will keep the rifle weight around 8.5 to 9 lbs.

Before I make the order…..any thoughts on the 30-338.

Any gun smith recommendations?
Thoughts on the .30-.338,,,, a fine wildcat. At one time used by the AMU for LR target. It's the .338 win. necked down to .30 or the 7mm Rem. Mag. necked up to .30. You end-up with a cartridge with slightly less capacity and a longer neck than the .300 Win. Mag. Better to neck down than up. Necking up thins neck walls and unless the reamer is specifically designed for 7mm necked up there'll be excessive neck clearance. Thin neck walls may or may not give sufficent neck tension which may or may not cause consistancy issues. Another draw back at the current time is availability of .338 Win. Mag brass. Brass availability for many chamberings that are touted on the forums can be an issue. Brass other than Winchester or Remington head stamp can run into some serious coin! "Nice rifle,,,, whish I could find some brass for it so I could shoot it!".

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.