Scopes that did not disappoint

Well, I'll start with my limited experiences.

I've not been able to view/use the high dollar scopes so I don't know what is possible.

The scopes I have bought that haven't disappointed me are the Vortex Gen 1 Razor and the Nightforce ATACR (enhanced)

Scopes that have come up short of my expectations are the Burris XTR-II and Nikon Monarch

Nightforce ATACR and nxs, in terms of functionality, did not disappoint. In glass, left a lot to be desired. After owning Leica glass and looking through swarovski and schmidt, I've decided I can't just have a good functioning scope. I need crystal clear glass!

For me it's been the nightforce nxs, nightforce shv and sightron siii. Now I'm not saying the the shv and siii are as good a scope as the nxs. But when I purchased the nxs I felt it should be a good reliable scope and I feel that's what I got. The other two scopes I wasn't expecting as much out of them but was hoping they would fit the bill and do the job. So far they have far exceeded my expectations, especially the siii.

Did not disappoint...ATACR Enhanced, Athlon Cronus, and any Premier Heritage.

Missed the mark...XTR II, Veracity lines.

Scopes I used that did not disappoint are Tasco World Class 4-16X and 6-24X, Weaver 6-24, Bushnell 4200 4-16 and 6500 4 1/2-30X50, and Nikon Monarch 3 5-20X44. I had a Nightforce 12-42X56 that had fantastic glass, better than any scope I ever compared it with at the range, but it was too heavy so I sold it without mounting it. Scopes that were a major disappointment were several Burrises, including three 8-32X Signatures, four Swarovski z5 5-25X52, and a Minox ZA 5HD 5-25x56 SF PLEX.

Earlier this year I was looking for a scope for a 300 Savage. Was at Cabelas and they were clearancing out the Cabelas Alaskan Giude Series scopes for $125. Scope had nice optics, large field of view, 4" of eye relief, no peripheral distortion. Liked it so much I went back and bought another. I'm also a fan of the Zeiss Conquest line as a hunting scope , light weight and good in low light conditions

What say ye ????

Love my 3-12 Bushnell LRHS but one thing could be better. Would like for it to have a little heavier reticle. Mechanically and optically it is superb. Retains zero, returns to zero, tracks accurately and image quality is great. But the reticle gets hard to see during the last few minutes of legal shooting light.

The SWFA SS 3-9x42 is superb for its price point. Like the LRHS, it retains zero, returns to zero and tracks accurately. The image quality is great, at least as good as the LRHS, and maybe even better. The reticle is bold enough to be usable until last legal light. The only improvements I would like to see are zero stop, a capped low profile windage turret, and to be set parallax free at 300 yards.

I don't own one yet, but have shot one and likely the perfect long rang hunting scope is the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 NXS with the illumntated MIL-R reticle. But for 1/3 the money, the 3-9 SWFA SS is mighty fine. As my best friend put it, "For the same money, I'd rather have three 3-9 SSs than one 2.5-10 NXS.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.