Scope Turrents

Where do you live? I am in Spearfish and have several rifles with moa turrets. I also have a bdc turret on a scope w moa dial cut into it as well. I wasn't ready to go straight bdc. I have one of Aaron Davidsons rangefinders and it makes the BDC turret extremely cool. Still even with it the moa advantage is that beyond one revolution you have homework/ conversion to do. I hardly ever use my ballistic software under 1000 yards anymore. It will actually calculate up to 1400 for you but I havent spent a lot of time in the 1000-1400next range with it. Anything beyond 14 you still need PDA/MOA.

Depending on which turret you buy, some allow multiple revolutions to be etched. I put a Kenton turret on my 6.5-20X and with a 200 yard zero I can direct dial out to 1,100 yards. I sent my verified drop data along with windage holdoffs in mils for 10 mph wind to them. Each row has the yardage and the windage showing. That way I can dial the drop and hold the wind with the TMR reticle. It works pretty slick for me. Below you can see at 300 yards I hold .47 mils and at 800 I hold 1.4 mils. Sorry for the crappy picture. It's much easier than it sounds.

Bob

DSC01378.jpg

That sounds like a plan. You can get out to 800 yards fairly close by here in Rapid. Even further in the hills near Dearfield area.

Bob

I've got several AR500 steel targets and stands. Let's just pick a weekend and meet up somewhere and do a little shooting. Real easy and low pressure. Lemeno.

Bob

Re: Scope Turrets

Here's a better look at my Kenton turret.

Bob

DSC_0093.jpg

Hi bobcape, I just ordered a Kenton Turret for my Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 that's going to go on my 7mm Rem Mag. I was debating on getting it retrofitted by Leupold for the CDS dial. I was trying to get more info before I ordered it. What model is your Leupold? Mine had the bottle cap turrets with the coin slot under neith them. How do you like the turret?

Mine is the VX-3 6.5-20X LR. I ordered it through the custom shop with target turret elevation, low profile windage knobs and TMR reticle. It came with a standard MOA turret and they were running a special where I could get a free custom elevation turret. I got the Leupold turret for my second choice bullet. I sent my verified drop table for my primary bullet to Kenton and got their turret within a week of receiving the scope. So, I have a MOA, Leupold and Kenton dials.

The Kenton turret has a zero stop in it. It's just a small Allen screw, but works well. I set it for about a quarter of a turn past zero. I turn past zero, hit the stop and then go a quarter turn back to zero. Very easy.

This scope replaced a really old Vari-X III 6.5-20X 1" tube that was on this rifle. There's a huge difference in the two scopes. I really like the scope and setup.

Bob

Thanks for the info! Hopefully mine gets here in a week too. I may do the same. Get my second one through Leupold, even sending it in for the retro fitting it's a few bucks cheaper than the Kenton. But hopefully I'll enjoy both. I appreciate your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.