Scope recommendations for Prairie Dogs

I appreciate all the suggestions and help; this forum is a great resource. After spending 10+ hours of researching scopes I ordered a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42mm with Ballistic Plex Reticle for $201 yesterday. I considered one more powerful such as 16-18x but didn't want a 50mm. Again a Zeiss or Swarovski would have been nice but at my age and being retired it was just way outside of my budget. I've started to load a group of 55 gr Hornady spire point bullets with various powder charges using H335 powder to see what the gun likes. I will continue to research outfitters for a prairie dog hunt, probably in SD. I would consider a DIY hunt but hopefully an outfitter would know where the best PD towns are and would provide a shooting bench as shooting prone is just not my thing any more. (Even though I am in reasonably good health, I've reached an age and before I get down on the ground I have to have a plan on how to get back up). I plan to attend the Harrisburg Outdoor show next Feb to speak in person with some outfitters.

I appreciate all the suggestions and help; this forum is a great resource. After spending 10+ hours of researching scopes I ordered a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42mm with Ballistic Plex Reticle for $201 yesterday. I considered one more powerful such as 16-18x but didn't want a 50mm. Again a Zeiss or Swarovski would have been nice but at my age and being retired it was just way outside of my budget. I've started to load a group of 55 gr Hornady spire point bullets with various powder charges using H335 powder to see what the gun likes. I will continue to research outfitters for a prairie dog hunt, probably in SD. I would consider a DIY hunt but hopefully an outfitter would know where the best PD towns are and would provide a shooting bench as shooting prone is just not my thing any more. (Even though I am in reasonably good health, I've reached an age and before I get down on the ground I have to have a plan on how to get back up). I plan to attend the Harrisburg Outdoor show next Feb to speak in person with some outfitters.
Hello, Good to hear you got ya scope, I'm going on my first PD hunt in June myself
so i think we both will learn something new in our old age 😁
I loaded up 2K rounds of Hornady 55 spbt / w cannelure using
25.0 H335 at 2260 aol . my fps were with a 24 inch barrel 10 shot average were 3150 fps
in a 20 inch barrrel the 10 average were 3057 fps for a 10 shot average . so your
Savage with a 1-9 has a 22 inch barrel , I would say 25 to 26 of H335 will do the trick for you.
and you speed should be right between the 2 i posted , I'm been getting all of my stuff ready
my self I went from 6 month to 4 weeks ..
TS2

Hello, Good to hear you got ya scope, I'm going on my first PD hunt in June myself
so i think we both will learn something new in our old age 😁
I loaded up 2K rounds of Hornady 55 spbt / w cannelure using
25.0 H335 at 2260 aol . my fps were with a 24 inch barrel 10 shot average were 3150 fps
in a 20 inch barrrel the 10 average were 3057 fps for a 10 shot average . so your
Savage with a 1-9 has a 22 inch barrel , I would say 25 to 26 of H335 will do the trick for you.
and you speed should be right between the 2 i posted , I'm been getting all of my stuff ready
my self I went from 6 month to 4 weeks ..
TS2
Thanks for the info. I plan to zero my rifle using 55 gr FMJ since I have a lot of them loaded. Once the scope if zeroed I will switch to the 55 gr Hornady SP to see what groups the best. It's been a few years since I have developed a load for one of my hunting rifles. I have loaded 3 rounds each starting at 23.5, 24.0, and 25.0 grains of H335. My COL is 2.250. I figure for a 3 day hunt I want to have at least 1k rounds with me. Would you suggest I also load some at 25.5 and 26.0 to see what groups the best? For hunting I'm leaning toward the Indian reservations in SD. Trying to get info from a pastor I know who lived and hunting in SD.

Thanks for the info. I plan to zero my rifle using 55 gr FMJ since I have a lot of them loaded. Once the scope if zeroed I will switch to the 55 gr Hornady SP to see what groups the best. It's been a few years since I have developed a load for one of my hunting rifles. I have loaded 3 rounds each starting at 23.5, 24.0, and 25.0 grains of H335. My COL is 2.250. I figure for a 3 day hunt I want to have at least 1k rounds with me. Would you suggest I also load some at 25.5 and 26.0 to see what groups the best? For hunting I'm leaning toward the Indian reservations in SD. Trying to get info from a pastor I know who lived and hunting in SD.
Take a couple folks with you to the reservation.

Hello,
on mine i went with the Hornady because Midway had them on sale factory clearance / over runs for $10.00 per 100 #
and i bought 2 thousand of them , both of my 223 one bolt gun and one BB AR15 shoots these right at moa ,
max on the H335 load data was 25.3 so i just went with 25.0
with 1 lb. of H335 you will get 400 rounds at 25.0 grns . but Im also taking with me 52 SMK , 55 V max, 60 Vmax
77 SMK and some 73 ELDs , I'm shooting a bolt gun and a BB AR15 . All of my ammo is handloads .
TS2

Here's a good place for data for you ,
https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/223-remington/

My opinion is that the Leupold 6.5-20 Mk 4 is excellent for the money. I have a dozen of them On my prairie dog rifles. Sure my S&B has better optics but the MK 4 has plenty good optics even for my tired old eyes.

I would suggest if you decide to use a HP to try them in your rifle before going. I had issues with feeding & some light primer strikes (Savage Axis) on certain factory ammo (Gorilla ammo). If you decide to take the factory offerings later on. It really doesn't like to feed these well. FMJ feed & eject just fine.

I am concerned about the math discrepancy - 280 is correct. 7000 divided by 400 equals 17.5????? I just want people to be safe. Something is off, target shooter have you shot any of the loaded ammo yet? It seems like the loaves and fishes that multiplied.

I just loaded 1600 rounds . @ 25.grns per round i did 400 rounds per lb.

I am concerned about the math discrepancy - 280 is correct. 7000 divided by 400 equals 17.5????? I just want people to be safe. Something is off, target shooter have you shot any of the loaded ammo yet? It seems like the loaves and fishes that multiplied.
Thanks DAN. ''Numbers do NOT lie!''
17.5gr in 1600 cases equals sixteen hundred KABOOMS