Scope mounting question

demarpaint

Thanks in advance,

I am setting up my .308 Savage BVSS rifle for 1000 yard target shooting. I have have a 1 pc. 25 MOA Picatinny Rail and Burris Xtreme tactical rings.

Everything lines up nicely and the scope goes into the rings without any side to side movement, no binding, it looks good. I have read the pros and cons of lapping etc, via the search function.

My question is can I mount this w/o any worry since everything lines up? Can I make a bushing with friction paper, or electrical tape to protect the scope tube from possible ring marks? I would rather not bed the rings. Or should I just bolt it on and forget about it? Some times tweaking something that is good makes it worse.

Thanks,
Frank D

Frank D... for what it's worth, I use masking tape inside my rings on everything (some were lapped, some not lapped)... this has worked very well for me, have never marked a scope yet with this procedure; one thing to be mindful of is the paper does compress slightly at first & I re-visit the torque on the ring screws to be sure they are still tight... this really forms a solid grip on the scope, you'll notice the first time you remove a scope later from the lined rings...hope this helps... Larry

I would tell you to make sure and use some kind of cleaner on the screw holes on the rings. many companies use protective agents on the rings to stop rust. If these agents are in the threads then the ring could come loose over time and then you have real headache!!I have never used tape on any of my scopes but I have left a ring mark or two before.

good luck
steve

Thanks Guys,

Everything lined up nicely. I put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the inside of the rings, (very thin). Cleaned up all the screws, and set them in with a torque wrench 25"LB.

All screws cleaned and Loc-tite blue was used. I will bore sight it tonight with the street light one final time to check before I go to the range. The street light has never let me down.

When I mount the Leupold on the 6.5x284 I will use the tape bushings Larry O mentioned.

Thanks,
Frank D

You may be able to get away with a lot of stuff when shooting a 308 but.....

I'd trash the petro jelly idea on principle.

My learning curve was that I could take factory rings of about any breed, run a cloth over them and mount the scope with no problems what so ever on a 270 win.

However, with a 338 Win w/brake it was get burris sig rings and clean with the stoutist degreaser available (Gunk Green) and torque/torque/torque before scope movement could be prevented.

I was told years ago from a gunsmith that a light film of petro jelly would keep moisture out and protect the area. Basically he said put it on and wipe it off so it leaves a very thin film. It would also ease in taking it apart, I like Larry O's idea of the masking tape bushing as well.

Frank D

oo Over the years I have seen too many scopes that slid in the rings even though they were properly torqued.some of the one screw per side type ring neede powdered rosin inorder to stay put.I now use the tactical style rings and base's and never have a problem with scope movement or moisture and would never put a slippery substsnce in my rings.If the rings fit properly how can moisture get between then and the scope? If they do not fit properly, then them untill they do fit properly is inorder.

Point well taken, the film is so thin its barely noticeable, These rings have 6 screws holding them. I have done this in the past without any problems.

After reading all the pros and cons of lapping etc it got a little confusing. With the one piece rail etc everything lined up perfectly with no slop or wobble, so basically all I had to do was throw it together, loc tite and torque it down.

Thanks for the info,
Frank D

Use liquid electrical tape. Seals and grabs the scope so it will not slip. Just make sure you let it sit for about a week before you use it so it can cure.

I never had any problems either, but really like the idea of the tape bushing, just torque it down a few times to make sure everything is nice and snug.

I just had a look thru my emails, I had emailed Burris re: the rings I have and they suggested "friction paper" as a bushing, and if everything lines up nice and straight with no binding put it together.

Thanks for the replies,

Frank D

Sounds like the petro jelly on a big kicker could be an issue. The liquid tape sounds like a good idea, almost like a very easy to use bedding compound.

Thanks for the replies, glad I asked!

Frank D

If it helps anybody I'm pretty sure my gunsmith paints the inside of the scope rings with clear nail polish(or some other clear glue) then mounts the scopes and wipes off the excess.

Ive had a couple different scopes on my 300 win and they never move.

He laps and trues all my rings. I'm not sure if it helps but it hasnt seemed to hurt anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts