Scope mounting delimma

slickyboyboo

I'm building a 280 AI on a Rem 700 action for a hunting rifle. It will have a #4 Brux barrel, and I will be mounting a VX-6 3-18x44 on it.

I'm trying to decide what I want to use to mount my scope. Should I go with a base and rings setup, a one piece base and ring combo, or something along the lines of lightweight Talleys? On top of that, I need to decide what height I need to order to get the scope as low on the gun as I can.

Thoughts?

Mine would not work with any other types of mounts other than rail base. This is because of the configuration/design of the VX 6 tube. It is some what shorter in distance between the bells than most scopes. Make sure you consider this before purchasing mounting system.

I prefer a bedded rail over the 2 piece because I know it's flat even if the receiver isn't. I have even contoured the loading/ejection side a little more on some of the to increase the opening around the action. Call whatever ring manufacturer you go with and ask them what height will fit with your scope and barrel combo. Seekins has been very good in choosing for me, and never too high.

Thanks for the info so far. If I go with a rail and a pair of rings, I should be able to go with low rings, and still have plenty of clearance with a 44mm Obj, correct?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.