Scope hight ???

RT2506

I guess this question has something to do with ballistics. I have a Bushmaster AR-15 223 with the carry handle. If I mount a scope on the carry handle and sight it in for 100 yards will the great distance between the scope and bore line cause the point if impact to be really high at 200 yards?

I plan to sight in the rifle at 100 yards 1.5" high and from a rifle with the scope mounted low like on a bolt action the bullet should be about dead on at 200 yards and around 1.5" low at 250 yards. I am wondering if it will still work this way with my AR.

I am going to say it shouldn't make a difference.but think that you want have much elevation left in the scope.thinking it will take to much to move the retical with the point of impact.unless you are able to mount an elevation bare with it.but think mounting it on top of the hand rail you want be able to do this.I cannot really say for I DO NOT OWN A BLACK GUN.but hope I am right and made since to ya.

Your extra height on top your handle will have some affect on impact points.

Say a 55g FMJ@3250 with 100 yd. zero will drop 2.4@200 and 10.3@300 with a scope height of 1.75".

Same round with a scope height at lets say 3.75" with 100yd. zero will show .4" drop@200 and 6.3"@300.

This is what I come up with using JBM ballistics program.
JBM - Calculations

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.