Scope Damage Input Needed

Badger300wm

Long story Short I acquired a rifle with a Vortex PST 6-20x50 FFP on it and the previous owner way over tightened the rings, leaving "ridges" where they came together. I checked tracking from my work bench and it seems ok but should I be concerned, how much can this damage the scope/reliability. Thanks

Our VIP warranty is about you,
Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.
VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.
You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
  • Fully transferable
  • No warranty card to fill out
  • No receipt needed to hang on to
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.
icon_note.gif

The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

I would call them and find out if they will fix it.

Is the function impaired in any way? If not then the damage is cosmetic and I would be surprised if Vortex replaced the scope due to cosmetic damage.

Problems I would look for:
Scope slipping in the rings, especially when the dents in the tube don't line up with the rings.
Focus mechanism not operating smoothly.
POI unstable.
Zoom ring not operating smoothly (unlikely because the inner erector tube is protected from damage to the outer scope tube).

Long story Short I acquired a rifle with a Vortex PST 6-20x50 FFP on it and the previous owner way over tightened the rings, leaving "ridges" where they came together. I checked tracking from my work bench and it seems ok but should I be concerned, how much can this damage the scope/reliability. Thanks

Did you happen to try the focus knob and mag adjustment? Also...when you tried the scope after the "Incident"....was it mounted in the rings on the rifle? I'd be worried about the erector tube binding.

I guess, ultimately, if it were me.......I'd be inclined to call Vortex and see how much they'd charge to check your scope out thoroughly....and perhaps how much it would cost to make the scope right. I'm sure you aren't the first....nor last.....to have this type of problem. I think they would help you any way they could.

Good Luck.....Your experience is a lesson for a lot of folks that the rings aren't snugged on to the scope more than about 15 in./lbs.

Wayne

Thanks for the replys guys, I sent an email to Vortex since it was the weekend and I will see how that goes. Thanks for the other things to check out thats what I really needed so I can have a better idea of things that will show up if there is a problem, again thanks

Lucky for you Vortex warranty covers stupid. If the previous owner did something stupid, Vortex will make it right.

UPDATE, Well I am impressed, got an email from Vortex stating they would replace the scope and cover everything but shipping it to them. I have not had a vortex scope before but with service like this I will be concidering them in the future. Thanks again for the advice and responses.

UPDATE, Well I am impressed, got an email from Vortex stating they would replace the scope and cover everything but shipping it to them. I have not had a vortex scope before but with service like this I will be concidering them in the future. Thanks again for the advice and responses.
Very cool! Thanks for posting an update!

UPDATE:

So in about a 5-7 day turn around I was shipped a brand new scope at no charge other than the shipping for my origional scope to the company(Appx. $25.00)

Everyone at Vortex I dealt with was awesome, and very helpful, honestly I thought I would have to pay something out. For me not being the origional purchaser, no history on the scope and obviously user error when mounting the scope Vortex was at no fault and to cover their product like this is IMPRESSIVE. I am now sold on buying a Viper HS LR if I can find one to look through since I have heard some things about the reticle. Either way I am very much a Vortex supporter now.

I'm not a Vortex fan, but dam that is impressive.

I had a bad unimount from Nightforce and they called me a liar, saying nothing was wrong with it even though my hunting partner worked there and filed on hundreds of them.

UPDATE:

So in about a 5-7 day turn around I was shipped a brand new scope at no charge other than the shipping for my origional scope to the company(Appx. $25.00)

Everyone at Vortex I dealt with was awesome, and very helpful, honestly I thought I would have to pay something out. For me not being the origional purchaser, no history on the scope and obviously user error when mounting the scope Vortex was at no fault and to cover their product like this is IMPRESSIVE. I am now sold on buying a Viper HS LR if I can find one to look through since I have heard some things about the reticle. Either way I am very much a Vortex supporter now.
Very cool! I am glad it worked out for you!

I was told a story about Vortex replacing a scope after the owner drilled holes in the bell too "let more light in". I'm sure that scope is still a conversation piece around there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.