Savage 110 short action aftermarket options for stocks?

JTH

I had a buddy invite me on a prairie dog hunt in about 6 weeks, seemed like a good excuse to buy a rifle. Found a Savage 110 Predator in 204 Ruger, and it turned out to be pretty accurate. The stock, however doesn't have enough palm swell for my liking, would prefer a more vertical grip, and the forend is too narrow.

Hoping someone here has knowledge of good options out there for quality after market stocks to fit a Savage 110 short action, bottom bolt release. I'm open to changing out the bottom metal if I need to in order to get something to fit.

Bell and Carlson, I think is about the only thing that you can use to actually use the bottom bolt release with. I'm not sure if your rifle has a bottom metal but PTG makes one that fits AICS mags, that works with the bottom bolt release, not sure about for the 223 sized though. I believe you can use an MDT chassis as well, but I'm not sure how or if the bottom bolt release will work. I think there are other chassis systems with similar issues, if you don't need to take the bolt out it's not a problem. I think HS Precision makes stocks too, but I'm not sure if they will work with the bottom bolt release.

I had a buddy invite me on a prairie dog hunt in about 6 weeks, seemed like a good excuse to buy a rifle. Found a Savage 110 Predator in 204 Ruger, and it turned out to be pretty accurate. The stock, however doesn't have enough palm swell for my liking, would prefer a more vertical grip, and the forend is too narrow.

Hoping someone here has knowledge of good options out there for quality after market stocks to fit a Savage 110 short action, bottom bolt release. I'm open to changing out the bottom metal if I need to in order to get something to fit.
I have the field stock on a model 12 and love it, I prefer it over the lss gen2 or the oryx… and it's cheap!

Attachments

• IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 162
Thanks to all for the replies. I placed an order at Stocky's for their carbon fiber VG2 stock, looks like it's designed more in line with what I've been using on other rifles (Manners EH1 and LRH, and McMillan Game Warden LR).
I'd be interested in how that works out. I'm wanting to get one of those for me LA 28 Nosler.

The Stocky's carbon VG2 stock showed up today, pretty quick turnaround. It is very similar to a Manners EH-1, in design, it has much better palm swell and grip than the original factory stock (for my purposes anyway), and the fit and finish of the Stocky's is very good. It is also incredibly light weight. The sling stud t-nuts on the inside were nicely epoxied over, and the inletting was pretty much perfect. Hard to believe I only paid $550 for a stock of this quality and got it in a couple days.

I found out that this stock is designed around the Savages with plastic "bottom metal". The predator model rifle I bought has metal "bottom metal". It fit the inlet ok, but the front action screw was too short. A quick trip to the hardware store for a 1/4-28x1" button socket cap screw remedied the problem.

I added an EGW full length picatinny rail to the action, and swapped out the two sling studs on the front of the stock for a picatinny/arca front rail.

So far, I am very pleased.

Here's a photo of how it turned out:

IMG_3404.jpeg

Recent Posts