SAKO S20 - 300 Win Mag. Info on "cartridge+" meaning

Hi from New Zealand. I've just bought the sporter version of the S20 in 300 win mag. Plus I have some 205gr EH Bergers and H1000 I'd like to try. The Bergers sit out quite a bit further than 3.6" to reach the lands in the s20, so I hope they dont mind a jump! Also have some 200gr ELDXs and 180gr Gamechangers and some IMR7828. How did you get on with the Bergers? Cheers, Michael
Agreed. It's a bit of a jump to the lands with the 205's. I set the the 205's to magazine length and they're shooting great. It seems I'll be able to shoot well under MOA as long as I do my part. I was under MOA during max charge weight testing, over a huge powder charge weight range. Same point of impact. You'd think I was testing for groups but my main point was max charge weight. The wind really picked up for the last few shots. The target and I were not stable in the gusts and I still stayed below 2" throughout the entire series but the last few shots opened it up (pics coming soon).

This a good reminder to do more of my review. I need to post up my data and pictures. I wanted to do more testing, as I didn't actually find max charge. I did get above 2900 FPS and still didn't see pressure signs. Being that it's just a 24" barrel, I was thinking 2900-2950 would be about max FPS, so I feel I'm very close. Still looking for a nice velocity flat spot in the higher range. I saw a small one at a respectable FPS but hope to see one above 2900 FPS.

Unfortunately, free time and Berger bullets are in short supply. I have been kind of hesitant to burn through what I have too quickly. I've reached out to Berger and have been following Berger threads closely on their production schedules. They told me 205's are way down the list on the production schedule. From what I gather, 215's might hit dealers in December or January. I'd really like to test both but that won't happen in 2021 (spring/summer of 2022 most likely).

Last edited:
The 205 EHs sound very promising. Thanks for the steer on seating depth. We have the same problem with components in NZ at the moment although the Hornady projectiles seem to be plentiful and I have about 50 205 EHs left. No shortage of H1000 (AR2217). But cant get the 215 berger hybrids here for love nor money, so have ordered some 212gr ELDXs to try.

What range of powder charges did you use and what worked best? I've been looking at a 10 shot method in which each round steps up in .5gr increments (considering H1000 73.5gr - 78gr). The idea is that you look for consecutive shots that are close to each other on the target and also at the fps to identify any consecutive shots whose speeds are similar. A youtube clip from the '65 guys' provides some good guidance and a practical demonstration of the technique. If it works it could cut down a bit on development costs and scarce reloading products.

NZ at the moment is in a very strict COVID-19 lock down - so no rifle range visits and no hunting - but plenty of time for reloading and fortuntely I have reasonable selection of projectiles and powders. Just cant go out and test the finshed products!

Nomosendero: I seriously considered the 6.5PRC as it is a fantastic looking cartridge (Creedmoor on steroids!), but ended up sticking with a 300 win mag as I had the reloading gear from a previous (failed) attempt at working up a load for a bergara B14. And I'm a bit of a traditionalist!

205 Elite Hunter
Paterson 300 Win Mag "Long" Brass
H1000
Federal 215 Match
Basically 3.6" COAL (set COAL based on Mag length)

Charge Weight Range: 73gr to 78.4gr
Velocity Range: 2726 - 2911 FPS
3A4D8858-EA42-4D2E-B89A-292FDD1E1C7D.jpeg

The 205 EHs sound very promising. Thanks for the steer on seating depth. We have the same problem with components in NZ at the moment although the Hornady projectiles seem to be plentiful and I have about 50 205 EHs left. No shortage of H1000 (AR2217). But cant get the 215 berger hybrids here for love nor money, so have ordered some 212gr ELDXs to try.

What range of powder charges did you use and what worked best? I've been looking at a 10 shot method in which each round steps up in .5gr increments (considering H1000 73.5gr - 78gr). The idea is that you look for consecutive shots that are close to each other on the target and also at the fps to identify any consecutive shots whose speeds are similar. A youtube clip from the '65 guys' provides some good guidance and a practical demonstration of the technique. If it works it could cut down a bit on development costs and scarce reloading products.

NZ at the moment is in a very strict COVID-19 lock down - so no rifle range visits and no hunting - but plenty of time for reloading and fortuntely I have reasonable selection of projectiles and powders. Just cant go out and test the finshed products!

Nomosendero: I seriously considered the 6.5PRC as it is a fantastic looking cartridge (Creedmoor on steroids!), but ended up sticking with a 300 win mag as I had the reloading gear from a previous (failed) attempt at working up a load for a bergara B14. And I'm a bit of a traditionalist!
I have a 300WM in a Lam. stock Sendero I have had for years. My problem could be I have too many cartridges to shoot but one I will always have is a 300WM.

Cross-Promo. Muzzle brake pictured in previous posts is listed for sale:

*I'm using a suppressor mount on the rifle.

I am also keeping in mind possible changes with bullets. I see Nosler just came out with a 150 LRA and I suspect other heavies. Along with that I may want just a little more powder cap. than the 6.5 PRC. I am still considering the Wea. 6.5 RPM, perhaps using my M700 as a Remage and going with a 7.5 twist for these. I don'[t want to buy an 1800.00 rifle and then wish later I had a faster twist.

Many thanks for sharing the figures :) I've just graphed the numbers in Excel. Looks like you have something happening at around 75 and 78 grs. Will be interesting to see how my S20 compares. I'm running Hornady brass but everything else will be pretty much the same. The difference in stocks shouldnt in theory make much difference for this exercise.

I notice that there is a missing value for shot 12 which is probably not a major since you are going up in increments of .3 grs. Im wondering if my chrono is going to work well enough (or at least my ability to align the thing!) for this test. A magnetospeed was used for the 65 guys' demo. Would one of these be better for this sort of test ie because there is less chance of misalignment/missed shots?

Many thanks for sharing the figures :) I've just graphed the numbers in Excel. Looks like you have something happening at around 75 and 78 grs. Will be interesting to see how my S20 compares. I'm running Hornady brass but everything else will be pretty much the same. The difference in stocks shouldnt in theory make much difference for this exercise.

I notice that there is a missing value for shot 12 which is probably not a major since you are going up in increments of .3 grs. Im wondering if my chrono is going to work well enough (or at least my ability to align the thing!) for this test. A magnetospeed was used for the 65 guys' demo. Would one of these be better for this sort of test ie because there is less chance of misalignment/missed shots?

I was using a labradar. If I remember correctly, it timed out, and had turned its self off. I'm pretty happy with getting all the rest. I usually do much, much worse (between user error and hardware errors). I do use an external battery pack and have made all the right adjustments but sometimes I miss making sure it's ready to go. Overall, very usable data.

I plan to get back out in the very near future (waiting on something in the mail). I think I'm near max pressure but will push it just a little more. Going to load up some 215's as well. 10gr more bullet weigh but slightly shorter bearing surface, so my guess is powder charges will be very close.

I tried to using the TBAC muzzle brake that came with my suppressor (Ultra 338). Recoil reduction is fine but muzzle jump is out of control. Kinda jumps up and sideways. I have one of the new Area 419 Hellfire "Match" brakes and their suppressor mount on its way.

I was using a labradar. If I remember correctly, it timed out, and had turned its self off. I'm pretty happy with getting all the rest. I usually do much, much worse (between user error and hardware errors). I do use an external battery pack and have made all the right adjustments but sometimes I miss making sure it's ready to go. Overall, very usable data.

I plan to get back out in the very near future (waiting on something in the mail). I think I'm near max pressure but will push it just a little more. Going to load up some 215's as well. 10gr more bullet weigh but slightly shorter bearing surface, so my guess is powder charges will be very close.

I tried to using the TBAC muzzle brake that came with my suppressor (Ultra 338). Recoil reduction is fine but muzzle jump is out of control. Kinda jumps up and sideways. I have one of the new Area 419 Hellfire "Match" brakes and their suppressor mount on its way.

Have you tried the Hellfire?

I think you will be exceptionally happy with it. I have multiples. Bought a 30 cal and fell in love with it so much that I'm transitioning several others now due to my overall great experience with them.

I also use their 30 cal on a 7rm, and it works wonders. Easy tracking due to the correct porting.

Have you tried the Hellfire?

I think you will be exceptionally happy with it. I have multiples. Bought a 30 cal and fell in love with it so much that I'm transitioning several others now due to my overall great experience with them.

I also use their 30 cal on a 7rm, and it works wonders. Easy tracking due to the correct porting.

I haven't. Not sure what took so long. They've been on my radar for years and with the suppressor mount, a no brainer.

Recent Posts