Sako AV re-barrel or sale?

coop2564

So I bought a very good looking Sako AV in 7RM. Didn't know at the time but looks like gun was re-barrelled with a light pencil barrel. Gun smith said its a 10 twist, he said crown and rifling look great. Has timney trigger and B&C stock bedded with barrel floated. Best groups I've gotten so far are 3-4" using 168 bergers, 162 ELD-X, 160 Accubonds. This week I'll be trying 139, 140, 154 which hopefully will match up better with this 10 twist. Looks to me someone spent a lot of money trying to make the gun accurate, but gave up and pawned it. Being it has a great stock and trigger I'm thinking of re-barreling it even if I find a load for this light barrel. Or should I just sale it and move on?

What would you recommend? I want to add some weight to it but not too much and stay 7RM. I haven't had one re-barreled before can I do this for under $600? Site recommendations?

So I bought a very good looking Sako AV in 7RM. Didn't know at the time but looks like gun was re-barrelled with a light pencil barrel. Gun smith said its a 10 twist, he said crown and rifling look great. Has timney trigger and B&C stock bedded with barrel floated. Best groups I've gotten so far are 3-4" using 168 bergers, 162 ELD-X, 160 Accubonds. This week I'll be trying 139, 140, 154 which hopefully will match up better with this 10 twist. Looks to me someone spent a lot of money trying to make the gun accurate, but gave up and pawned it. Being it has a great stock and trigger I'm thinking of re-barreling it even if I find a load for this light barrel. Or should I just sale it and move on?

What would you recommend? I want to add some weight to it but not too much and stay 7RM. I haven't had one re-barreled before can I do this for under $600? Site recommendations?

Yes, depending on barrel choice and gunsmith rates in your area.

I'm sure there are similar site but check out Pac-Nor, they can fit and chamber their barrel to your action for $300 (includes lapping and truing of action) + $275 - $325 for barrel (Price List - Caliber and Twist Rate Chart - PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com).

You can use their (Barrel Weight Calculator - PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com) to figure out what contour best fit your target weight.

This should give you a general cost idea for re-barrel. Good luck!

Had mostly same results using the lighter bullets with one exception.
154 sst 4"group, 139 sst 5", but 139 interlock 1.5"! shot 8 shots all in 2" group even with barrel smoking hot, while this still is not great, its much better than any other round I've tried.

So here's my question. Why would this barrel be so bad if crown and rifling are good? Would a long throat cause this with standard length rounds?

So the 1.5" groups tells me a little, that its not likely the scope or rings. The group didnt string or walk with barrel heating so bedding and barrel float sound. So I'm back to the barrel questions. What are your thoughts on why this gun shoots so bad?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts