Ruger 7mm Rem Mag

bri4676

Alright, I have read all kinds of information on the difficulties of finding a stock for this gun (7mm Rem Mag, M77 Mark II). Well, with hesitation, I decided to buy a Hogue stock for it because:
A. They had one
B. Spending more on the stock than the rifle wasn't realistic for this build
C. The Boyd's stock I had just didn't seem to get along with the rifle (sporadic "fliers" due to inconsistent bedding).

Keep in mind, I am trying to build a reasonably accurate hunting rifle with a limited budget (by choice)! Saving for the 6.5X284 is the goal... this build is to pacify my time...:D

That said, here is what I decided on... I wanted a fully bedded and pillared stock... that I knew! I watched the 8541 Tactical video where he explained the issues with the Hogue stock (pillared... not fully bedded) he demo'd during the build/range video.

I found a fully bedded Hogue stock for the Ruger Mark II M77 7mm Rem Mag (that till this point was hidden deep in the closet protecting the dust bunnies) for $198/free shipping... ORDERED IT!
IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

Figured, while I am at it, let's check this factory trigger out (never liked it)...
It was a crisp (rounding up) 5 lbs.
IMG_0425.jpg

I placed an order with Timney Triggers...
IMG_0424.jpg

After a little grinding on the trigger (very carefully buy hand... not DREMEL) and stock (with Dremel) I had a perfect union of harmony!

The Timney trigger was pulling around 1.75 lbs and that was beautiful... but a little light for my purposes with this gun. I replaced the Timney spring with the factory spring and BOOM...
IMG_0429.jpg

Just what I was looking for!

I am pleased with the look to this point! I am having the gun cerakoted tomorrow for a reasonable price mind you!!!

I will update with final pictures once i receive her back in my arms!

The stock seems very sturdy (keep in mind we aren't comparing it to a McMillan) and it is fully floated... checked with my $1 dollar bill...Ole George never lies...

The trigger, well, it was easily modified and I think it was a worth while investment!

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone that has a Ruger and is looking to "shine her up"...

I will update with more pics and hopefully some range data.

Last edited:
This is the before picture! Pre-Cerakote...

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428[1].jpg

I know, I know... The gun holder is unique and very futuristic.... Best of all... it is multi-functional and satisfies both hunger and holder needs!

Alright ladies and gentlmen...

I have my gun back from being cerakoted and I am pleased! Everything went right back in to its correct place and the last thing to do is mount a scope... Any suggestions?

I am thinking about something in the 3.5X50 range and would like to stay around $600 on the scope. This is just going to be a hunting rifle with a range up to 500 yds.

image.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Looks real good. How did the weight of the hogue stock compare to the factory (was it wood or syn)?? Curious b/c my friend has the same gun 300wm in wood stock.

I'd slap a good 3-9x or 4-12x on it and call it a day. I have a 3.5-10x42 sightron for sale. I read somewhere that a guy had the action drilled and tapped so he could mount it rail and use regular rings instead of the supplied ruger rings, might be something to look into.

I didn't weigh the stocks, however, I feel certain the Boyds laminate wood stock is considerably heavier than the Hogue. I also went ahead and bedded (DEVCON) the stock last week... amazing how that takes out all "wiggle room"...

In regard to the scope... I am thinking of switching my Zeiss from my Remington 700 -22-250 and placing it on this 7 mag. That will give me a reason to buy a NF for the "gopher getter"...

If I don't do that I will more than likely go with a leupold on a murphy tac. rail for the 7 mag!

Might as well get a good rail b/c I detest the Ruger mounting system!

Thanks for the comment!

Well, I thought I would post a picture of the rail I mounted over the weekend. There are not a whole lot of options out there. I decided to go with the Weigand Combat rail system based off good reviews, availability and price (remember, this is an economy build). I bought the Ruger M77 MKII Long X Black.
Seems to be solid, astetically pleasing and the functionality of it will be tested as soon as I get a scope!

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 41
Alright, I have read all kinds of information on the difficulties of finding a stock for this gun (7mm Rem Mag, M77 Mark II). Well, with hesitation, I decided to buy a Hogue stock for it because:
A. They had one
B. Spending more on the stock than the rifle wasn't realistic for this build
C. The Boyd's stock I had just didn't seem to get along with the rifle (sporadic "fliers" due to inconsistent bedding).

Keep in mind, I am trying to build a reasonably accurate hunting rifle with a limited budget (by choice)! Saving for the 6.5X284 is the goal... this build is to pacify my time...:D

That said, here is what I decided on... I wanted a fully bedded and pillared stock... that I knew! I watched the 8541 Tactical video where he explained the issues with the Hogue stock (pillared... not fully bedded) he demo'd during the build/range video.

I found a fully bedded Hogue stock for the Ruger Mark II M77 7mm Rem Mag (that till this point was hidden deep in the closet protecting the dust bunnies) for $198/free shipping... ORDERED IT!
View attachment 43385

View attachment 43386

View attachment 43387

Figured, while I am at it, let's check this factory trigger out (never liked it)...
It was a crisp (rounding up) 5 lbs.
View attachment 43388

I placed an order with Timney Triggers...
View attachment 43389

After a little grinding on the trigger (very carefully buy hand... not DREMEL) and stock (with Dremel) I had a perfect union of harmony!

The Timney trigger was pulling around 1.75 lbs and that was beautiful... but a little light for my purposes with this gun. I replaced the Timney spring with the factory spring and BOOM...
View attachment 43390

Just what I was looking for!

I am pleased with the look to this point! I am having the gun cerakoted tomorrow for a reasonable price mind you!!!

I will update with final pictures once i receive her back in my arms!

The stock seems very sturdy (keep in mind we aren't comparing it to a McMillan) and it is fully floated... checked with my $1 dollar bill...Ole George never lies...

The trigger, well, it was easily modified and I think it was a worth while investment!

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone that has a Ruger and is looking to "shine her up"...

I will update with more pics and hopefully some range data.

Brown Precision makes a stock for the Rugers for $500 plus some change. Rugers r extremely hard to find replacement stocks. I have 5 Ruger M77V's 1-22-250,1-22-250AI, 243, 308, and a 25-06. I love these rifles. I change the mountings screws to allen-head and torque to 45"lbs. Bang with a rubber mallet and retorque. I do not shoot the 25-06 the rifle is brand new. T U M. These rifles can be bug holers.gun)

Good to know sir!

Well, i broke down and bought a NF IHR SHV 4-14X56.... With TPS metal low rings.

Next build is the 6.5X284.... Starting to feed the piggy bank now!!!

I will post more pics once I get the pics corrected... Sorry

Here we go...

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts