RUGER 204 STORY

GG, I am glad to see that factory velocities can be attained. I was holding off getting a barrel for my Encore,
thinking I might need a faster than 1-12 twist for the 40's.
Do you know of any factory Bolt Guns that shoot the 40's well. I have heard good things about the CZ Varmit. What do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
lerch: if you like the 55grain from a 22-250, you would like the 6mmbr even more. It spits a 55grain BT out at 37-3800fps.. and has a higher BC. And uses 20 grains less.. And twice the barrel life..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. The 6br with slow twists shooting 55's is far superior to the 22-250 or the swift in just about every category and the 6br fast twist shooting 95's or 105 vld's is superior to any 308 as far out as you care to shoot.

The numbers I ran were stated earlier:

55 grain .22 blitzking at 3900
40 grain .20 vmax at 3900

Both may be slightly faster or slightly slower than these velos but you get the idea. I have heard many people who don't understand bc's or time of flight say that the little bullet will get blown around a lot because of it's weight and it makes me laugh. Another example is the 17 hmr vs the 22 mag. Weight is not the issue, it is bc and starting velocity combined with weight only being indirectly involved. If two bullets have roughly the same bc and have roughly the same velocity, one could be 500 grains and the other be 20 grains and it would make no difference in trajectories or drift. Only in kinetic energy and terminal ballistics. In the case of the 17 hmr and the 22 mag, you have roughly the same bc's but the 17 has substantially higher velocities. In the 204 vs the swift, you have close bc's and close velocities so the traj will be close. Difference is as already stated in recoil, noise, powder consumption, barrel life, etc.

All in all, both have effective killing ranges on chuck sized game of about 800 yards with the 204 showing a slight disadvantage in energy in the last 150 yards of that distance. If that bothers the shooter, than pull out the swift or better yet, get out the 6br fast twist and lay waste in high order deadliness!

THe moag is currently retired from service while a new reamer is being made. Barrel life on that big case was less than expected. I believe it was partly to blame on the huge diameter barrel and the insulating properties of the solid, thick barrel block. First 3 inches of barrel were toasted when the outside felt cool. THe plan is to cut off the 3 inches, rechamber with new reamer that is slightly altered so the dies fit better, and then be more careful with cooling her down. If need be, she might get an abs wrap job to help with the cooling. 96 grains of powder down a 338 hole with the slow pressure curve and acceleration of the big 300 grain MK generates a lot of gas erosion.

I like the t-shirt. Where did you get it?

I have tinkered with a Browning varmint and a Remington adl synthetic. Both had 24" barrels and attained the 3900 fps or slightly over. Both shot 1/2" to 3/8" with the proper load. Both liked the 39 grain Blitzking better than the 40 vmax or the 40 Berger. I think this is because the vmax needs an 11" twist. It looks much more aerodynamic than the blitzking and has a shorter bearing surface.

The CZ would probably be my choice if I was to stay factory. Right now, I believe CZ to be the best factory made rifle going. Puts Remmy to shame unfortunately. Remmy needs to improve quality control before they end up like Winchester IMHO.

If Berger would produce a 60-75 grain VLD in 20 cal, chamber it in a 20 ppc and an 8 twist barrel and I think you would have the absolute most efficient 1000 yard shooter going. COme on Berger....

Thanks for the info GG. That little 204 is an impressive little round, I guess I am just going to have to add one to the collection. Sorry to hear about the MOAG, I love that rifle. I think I told you this before, but I am having my own MOAG built. It will consist of the following, 338 Yogi built by Dave Tooley which is 338 Lupa Magnum Improved, throated for the 300MK, BAT 10" Action, Lilja 36" 1.750 at the muzzel with brake, McMillan 50HBR, Jewell 2oz trigger, custom base and rings with a total 65 MOA added, topped with a 12X42X56 Nightforce NXS. I guess I had better make sure to let the barrel cool down for a long time.

My wife got me the shirt, I will see if she has anymore. I am sure there are some people in UTAH who might like to have one. Let me know, and I will see if I can get some. Thanks, Wildcat

I appreciate this info, GG. I want to shoot one a little, but not enough to have one built, so based on your comments
I am going to find out what twist CZ uses, that is in the
Hea. barrel, synthetic. Otherwise, I may buy a 204 Encore barrel,again if I see one with a little faster twist. It appears to me that the 40 is a lot better than the light ones, & I hear that Nosler maybe has a forty gr.

I saw the 40 grain NOslers being shot on the range last week. They shot well and have a bearing surface length inbetween the vmax and he blitzking. Should prove interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So.. GG we concur..

A .204 cal rifle with high velocity beats the 224s,
And the 6BR with light bullets beats all the .224 cals,

Is there acctually any god 224 calibers left out there?
The 223 is OK, because of cheap ammo,
the 22-250 it not interesting anymore, the 220 Swift is not interesting.. you might as well get a 6BR and be done with it..

The swift or 22-250 can compete with the .204 with a 60+grain bullet, but then you might as well just get a 6BR because it uses 20 grains less powder.

The high velocity commercial .224 seems dead to me..

Could I rebarrel my Ruger Target chambered currently for a .220 Swift, down the road, I like the looks of the 6 BR. GG seems to love this caliber and I'm thinking with a 105g VLD, it will be a 1000 yard rifle while only burning 30g of powder. Thats almost hard to believe, but hey it is what it is. I know its a short fat sucker so the OAL would probly work, just wondering if its possible?

Rem: yes you can. But some magazines dont feed the small 6BR cartridge well, so you might get a single shot rifle.

The 6br will shoot 55 grain BT at 3800fps, and 105 A-max at 2950 fps... Get a 1-8 twist barrel, and you can shoot every bullet weight there is.

The swift with a 75 grain A-max is a 1000 yard contender, but I would rater build a 223AI ( wich Im going to build after my 30-06) it uses 31 grains of powder and gets 3100 fps. Thats good enough for 1000 yards. 40grain BT at 4000 fps as well..

How fast could you say, push a 75g amax from a .220 swift, or even a 220 swift improved?? I want a 1000 yard cartridge that is easy on powder, and cheap to shoot. I like the idea of a swift shooting 75g bullets, but that 6BR is sure getting my attention as well. The 6BR will still do it burning probly 15g less powder as well. Simply amazing!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.