RL33 and N570

The Oregonian

Have heard that N570 is a great powder for 28 Nosler and similar cartridges...I want to get off of Retumbo for my 28N and onto something else...I get pressure at anything much above 3000 fps.

I haven't used either - what are the pros and cons of one vs the other (besides the obvious high cost of N570)? I have had good luck with 560 in my 280AI and curious about 570.

Side note - N570 still can't be found but I am in no hurry now that hunting season is over.

You hit the main problem with 570. I don't know if we will ever have a reliable supply of 570. I have a 300 that loves it. Been trying for 2 years to get a supply of it. Very frustrating. No experience with 33. I've heard reports that it is dirty. No first hand experience.

I use RL33 in my 338 Lapua with 300gr bergers . I have no complaints with it . when I first started loading for this rifle I was getting false pressure signs , so I kept backing the powder charge down . I was down into the reduced loads range and RL33 was getting very dirty ,it reminded me of 777 in my inline . after I figured out my problem , and brought my powder charge up , it's as clean as any other powder I've used . I have no experience with VV powders , they are hard to buy locally .

you could try IMR8133 they say its close to N570
it will get you more speed than Retumbo but not as much as RL-33. Its is pretty stable from my limited usage will do more after holidays

I use RL33 in my 338 Lapua with 300gr bergers . I have no complaints with it . when I first started loading for this rifle I was getting false pressure signs , so I kept backing the powder charge down . I was down into the reduced loads range and RL33 was getting very dirty ,it reminded me of 777 in my inline . after I figured out my problem , and brought my powder charge up , it's as clean as any other powder I've used . I have no experience with VV powders , they are hard to buy locally .
Agree, at 95 to 100% case fill I was shocked at how clean it burned.

Used RL-33 in my 30/378. Great powder and as I got close to max pressure with the 200 gr Nosler I just couldn't get over how clean it burnt. I also tried it in my 257--270--and 7mm Wea mags. Got great vel out of the 257 but accuracy wasn't great. Could have been just my rifle. I found it to be a tad too slow for my 270 and 7mm Weatherby mags. If I remember right I found the loads a little to compressed for my liking.

Last edited:
So if not a good fill it burns dirty? Somewhere around 95% gets into the safe zone?

Thx

I don't think it's a case fill % that causes clean , or dirty , burning . I think you just need to get the pressure up in a upper normal range . for me , this powder seems to like loads close to max . clean burning , accuracy , and velocity E.S. , all got better as the charge went up . I'm pretty sure the guys complaining about it being dirty are loading at , or below , starting charge pressures . maybe from trying to use it in the wrong application ,they can't fit enough powder in the case . or just using minimum loads or less than min to keep the velocity in a certain range . I think if they would increase the powder charge , bring the pressure up , they would see how much velocity they are missing out on , it will clean it up too . if I were loading for a 28 Nosler , I'd be giving RL33 a try .

I was using N570 in my 300RUM and when I got down to my last 2 lbs I got nervous and started looking around and have found that IMR 8133 really good, but may try N570 again come spring.

I use RL 33 in my 26 and 28 NOS with good results. 88.3 grains in my 28 gives me 3150 with 195's and shoots sub 1/3 moa. 30" barrel helps with my velocity.

I have 8# RL33, 8# RL26, 7# N570, 5# N565all in prep for my 6.5 saum, 300 norma and 338rum. Soon the loading will begin!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts