Replacing Weatheryby Trigger

bweber

This is kind of one of those "stop me if I'm about to do anything stupid" threads.

I have a Weatherby Mark V in 270wby. It has a nice long barrel and is great for long distance stuff. But the trigger has always been too mushy and too heavy for my tastes. I learned that Timney is now making a replacement trigger, so I ordered one preset to a 2lb pull weight.

Now I'm wondering if this is something that I can replace myself, or whether I should take it to a gunsmith? I'm not a gunsmith, but am pretty comfortable working on guns. If there's any metal work involved I would want to pay someone else to do it. But if it's just a matter of drifting out a pair of pins, swapping out the trigger mechanism and putting the pins back in place that's something I can do.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks,

Ben

The trigger is held on with 2 bolts. One on top and one from underneath. I'm not sure a Timney is going to be a measurable improvement. With a very little work (Clip a spring coil) a Mark 5 trigger will adjust down to 6-8 ounces. I keep all mine right at 13-15 ounces and crisp as it gets. Mine feel every bit as good as the $240 Jewel for Remingtons.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.