Reminton 700LH 300RUM

338Bearslayer

Picked up a LH 300 Rum today, Looking to push 190's or the 210 Gr Berger VLD's. the rifle in 100% factory other than the thumb hole stock from Boyds Microfit that needs over hauled ( not bedded or floated). New to the site and forum. Any advice is helpful. Thanks in Advance

If it has the sporter barrel, it might be a bit temperamental... Not saying it will, just giving you a heads-up based on my experience with a factory sporter RUM cartridge.

I battled with a factory CDL 7RUM for a while. It had an awesome and repeatable pinwheel zero (@ 100 yards), but shots 2 and 3 would hit randomly inside a softball sized group at 100. So we finally got tired of fooling with it, and snatched the stock and barrel off, and built a semi-custom after we blueprinted the action.

BDL. Assuming it's a sporter. I've been in debate on buying another Proof for it. Ideally want to keep it light as possible. Due to it being my primary backpack gun. 2-3 shots max hopefully.

BDL. Assuming it's a sporter. I've been in debate on buying another Proof for it. Ideally want to keep it light as possible. Due to it being my primary backpack gun. 2-3 shots max hopefully.

If you got the cash...Proof it! I would put a Proof on a couple of rifles if I had the money. Maybe sometime before next deer season. :cool:

Here's how mine ended up...

We blueprinted the action and stuck on a spare worked-over and hand-lapped and custom-crowned factory 26" heavy Sendero 7mm STW barrel I had sitting around, and then DevCon bedded it in a factory Rem 5R Milspec HS Precision stock. Now it looks like this...

AB8C17F1-6CD8-42C5-ADFC-C83107D292BB_zpsvotsdvqs.jpg

9B3D531F-2E22-4C1D-8FF9-9E3FB806AF2A_zps75z4llkp.jpg

They are spendy!

Mud's got it all right on what you probably will experience.

The factory Reminton Barrel is fickle. Heats up very fast and 3 shot hunting groups can be multiple inches. It is common that the first cold dirty bore shot is "perfect".

Clean on the Boyds stock. There are always some places where the metal part is a sharp corner but the stock has a curve from the cutter.

Then bed it. Don't worry about pillars.

Then float it.

Get the trigger fixed if it part of the recall or just go to a Timney.

That is all of course "standard" practice.

If it doesn't shoot. Rebarrel with a quality barrel. At that time you can consider lots of other options as well. Like changing it to a 308/28 Nosler or 28 Nosler.gun) Had to say it....:D

I have the stock version of what you bought. I did float the barrel. It's a 3 shot, just under Moa, rifle at 100 yards. It seemed to prefer the heavier bullets and didn't care for all the powders that the other 300 Rum shooters were Raving about like Retumbo and H1000. My load ended up being the 200 gr Accubond over IMR 7828. Not the fastest load out there but plenty enough for me. I'm sure your rifle will have its own unique personality but I will be interested to see how the Bergers do in your factory barrel.
Keep me posted.

My cousin has the exact same rifle but right handed. The guy he bought it from gave him a box of Hornady Precision Hunter ammo loaded with 220gr ELD-X bullets. At 100 yards we were both able to shoot MOA groups off the ground using bipods and a rear bag. It thumps like a mule, but shot well for being a factory rifle bolted down into a Boyds Thumbhole with factory ammo. He plans to rebarrel and re-stock it this summer though to get the most out of it.

Picked up a LH 300 Rum today, Looking to push 190's or the 210 Gr Berger VLD's. the rifle in 100% factory other than the thumb hole stock from Boyds Microfit that needs over hauled ( not bedded or floated). New to the site and forum. Any advice is helpful. Thanks in Advance

Assuming you do not have a stash of I 5010 lying around, I'll tell you what's worked in the 4 300rums I've worked with so far (with current powders), including my m700 bdl lh 300rum... she still has the factory stock and shoots 1" groups at 200 yards with the factory bedding. I've got a gen 1 6-18x Buckmaster on it with full turrets...
We have been using the 180 hornady or 175 tmk with 93-94 grains of rl25 in rem brass with a 215 lighting the fire... Drop down a couple of grains and work in for nos brass.
The heavy load we shoot is a 225 hdy hpbt with 95 grains rl33 in rem brass with a 215.
Both loads are to mag. length...

My 300 rum started out life as a 338 win mag. After getting my 338 rum, I decided I wanted a 300 rum. My old action got a factory take off barrel. It shoots 180 grain accubonds at 3350 with 97 gr of H-1000 seated to magazine length. My go to load now is 215 gr Berger in front of 93 grains of Retumbo, seated to magazine length, 3070 mv excellent groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.