Remington vs Custom/7mm vs. 300/What would you do?

Forget the 700 action!!!!

It will cost you almost as much as a custom action if not more depending on what you do. Will not be as smooth or reliable with the Remington riveted extractor on the magnums. More importantly the second you leave the gunsmith shop after putting all that money into it; it is only worth $550 max.

get the custom and be happy forever. Too many great customs to waste time and money tinkering wit a 700.

Yes and no. If you have the money buy a custom and don't look back. If you are on a tight budget, the Remington 700 action trued up will work just as well. Accuracy wise it will shoot just as well if trued correctly.

For me my donor rifle cost $450. Selling all of the parts except for the action and bolt netted me $200. So really the action and bolt cost me $250. Then true it and we are back to $450. Pretty good price if you ask me.

But yes, if you want the side bolt release, a better bolt, fluted bolt, firing pin assembly, extractor, name, resale value and all of the other goodies that come with the custom, then buy the custom. I just couldn't afford and didn't need all of the extras for my first custom.

Same thing with my stock. My pillar bedded H-S Precision stock isn't a McMillan, but it is just as accurate. I just couldn't afford the McMillan.

The stock and action were the two places I saved some money without giving up accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts