Remington 700 seer won’t hold

Solaction

I've got a Jewel trigger that I've tried to reset the seer but still won't hold when I work the bolt. Not even if I screw it all the way in. If I use another bolt it works fine. I've compaired the two seer's from the bolts but can't see any difference. Can I file it down some to make it catch or is this a just replace it problem?

Thanks for any help with this.

Sounds like it's a cocking piece problem, because it should not change just by switching bolts.

With out actually looking at it there is no way to advise you of a fix.

My recommendation would be not to mess with the Jewell and have a competent smith look at it.

J E CUSTOM

J E
Thanks I'm sure I'm not calling it the right thing. I'm calling the seer the part under the back of the bolt that holds the firing pin back when it's set to fire.
I got it working though. I read on another forum that it could be dirty. Bingo I pulled the firing pin out of the bolt cleaned it and oiled it now it works fine. I've shot a few rounds out of it now with no problems.

Use only lighter fluid to clean a Jewell trigger. It leaves a tad of lubrication as a residue. Do not oil it, that only causes the problem to return. Very close tolerances, oil and dust, don't mix.

J E
Thanks I'm sure I'm not calling it the right thing. I'm calling the seer the part under the back of the bolt that holds the firing pin back when it's set to fire.
I got it working though. I read on another forum that it could be dirty. Bingo I pulled the firing pin out of the bolt cleaned it and oiled it now it works fine. I've shot a few rounds out of it now with no problems.

It is called a cocking piece and the actual "Sear" is in the trigger assembly. this setting is normally preset by Jewel and should not be changed. Only the trigger stop and weight should/could be changed.

The jewel has 3 adjustments and the instructions tell you how and where they are, if you changed any of them I would recommend you go back and re adjust ,or call jewel for instructions on how. If you didn't, you should be good to go.

Glad you figured it out.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.