Remington 700 quality

Would you buy a Rem 700

• Yes

Votes: 555 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 190 25.5%

• Total voters
I do not buy Remington Rifles, their quality does not fit my standards and getting a mass produced rifle trued and fitted with a custom barrel and high quality stock costs about the same as getting a rifle build by my prefered gunsmith.
But with a SPS selling for about 1000$ and a Sendero II selling for 2500$, this is no surprise.

who ever payed 1000.00 for an sps? i just bought a 300 RUM sendero delivered for less than 1100.00. your number comparisons are way off the deep end.

I have a NO up there, with reservations.... if I stumble upon one for a great deal, then fine, i'll snatch it up. I've found, as I progress my abilities & learn from my mistakes/successes, what is left of my 3 Remington rifles is the action & bolt (sometimes not even a bolt). What purpose does that serve? I try to approach it from a logical standpoint (my logic anyway:D):

1) Remington CDL $1000 (I'm a southpaw so I don't get much of a choice)
2) Scrap everything except action, leaving a bunch of parts I'll never use
3) Drop another 3K-5K on gunsmithing to get it to the level of performance I expect.

Why not just skip steps 1 & 2? I just bought my first custom action, a Stiller Predator, for the life of me, I can't justify the cost of buying a CDL (which is usually the only LH Remmy on the shelf 'round here) for a thousand bucks & then turn around & drop another couple (or several) hundred into it to get it to the point of the custom action I just bought for a good bit less than that initial $1000.... now, for those right handed fellers out there, you have better options i'm sure, an SPS can still be bought for a very reasonable price... I'm not sure if Big Green even offers a LH SPS & it doesn't matter anyway, if I'm going to have to wait, I will wait for a custom action, that's all i'm going to keep most of the time anyway...

So in all honesty, I will have to say that although quality HAS suffered some, it's more about cost & availability to me... Those alone have taken me in a different direction.

who ever payed 1000.00 for an sps? i just bought a 300 RUM sendero delivered for less than 1100.00. your number comparisons are way off the deep end.

Thats europe.
The market isn't as big, there are less dealers and at least here in Germany gunsmithing is illegal as long as you dont have a federal license.

I can't justify the cost of buying a CDL (which is usually the only LH Remmy on the shelf 'round here) for a thousand bucks.

I'm not sure if Big Green even offers a LH SPS & it doesn't matter anyway, if I'm going to have to wait, I will wait for a custom action, that's all i'm going to keep most of the time anyway...

I know what you mean about finding the LH models out there Outlaw. I try and grab them when I see them on the shelf in the store or on the table at a gun show. I have the LH version of the VS, SPS and an older BDL in the safe.

Jim

I will never own a remington ever again. Just got done with a 300wm remmy 700. I sold it, i'm so glad to be done with that P.O.S. Right out of the box a broken extractor that I had to send in to get fixed and when I called remington they did not care at all and hung up the phone. Savage has left remington in the dirt.

Darrin

I have hordes of Remingtons, and recently picked up two XCR's, the bolts are as smooth as ever and can't find anything wrong with them. Can't speak to the SPS line as I've never owned one, but the early ones were pretty rough on the finishing aspect, they've improved a bit when they started jeweling the bolt again and stopped bead blasting the rifles with road gravel.

To this day I've never had a Remington that hasn't shot an inch or under at 100 yards.

I do not buy Remington Rifles, their quality does not fit my standards and getting a mass produced rifle trued and fitted with a custom barrel and high quality stock costs about the same as getting a rifle build by my prefered gunsmith.
But with a SPS selling for about 1000$ and a Sendero II selling for 2500$, this is no surprise.

Beng- i agree with getting a custom action and a krieger barrel . then you are sure to have a rifle that shoots as good or better than you. the sps is 400$, and i have senderos that i paid 480, 520 550 599 shipped to AZ. new senderos are more. roninflag

I voted yes, I have had several Remingtons over the years, I don't know the exact count but at least 20 probably closer to 30 when I include the 721-722 guns, in all that time I have gotten exactly one dud, a 7mm08 SPS. It was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned I think.

Bob

it's funny how lots of people put down remingtons and talk up savages. to each there own i think. just look at the poll. not really close by no means. geuss them low quality remingtons are alright.lol.:D

I see rifles similar to other purchases. I can buy a 4X4 truck. I know I will put a lift on it, after market wheels and tires, maybe some flares and bumpers etc...

As long as the Base truck is sound and the price is in line for a basic truck I am good with it. In fact, I like the ability to custom fit it to myself. If I wish to pay for one all decked out, i will pay a premium. Like buying a Cooper rifle. One of these is onmy short list as I have not owned one before.

I have had more 700's than I can remember an accurate count but like several on this thread, in excess of 20.

If I had a wish, it would be that Remington have better and more consistent barrels and tighter quality on matching them to receiver. Some after tinkering and customizing will be .25 moa while others it is flat out difficult to get 1 moa.

Other manufacturers seem to be able to accomplish this. Savage and Tikka rifles come immediately tpo mind.

As long as they have economical version, such as SPS, that will allow me to get in at decent price, I will potentially buy again. I actually enjoy the retrofit and accurizing process.

But I am sorely disappointed in my most recent aquisition of 280 in CDL SS Fluted that was nearly $1k. This was quite likely the most difficult to find a load for and on its best day it is just barely 1moa. At that price, it really should be better. My Opinion. My Cash....I get to have one:)

Speaking of the 280 CDL SSF-- I bought one and had the same issues..
I couldnt get that high stressed barrel to shoot to save my life.. 2 different scopes, checked all the basics.. tried fast/slow powders-- heavy/light bullets.. you name it, I ran it.
1.5-3.5moa inconsistently.... I ended up telling the gunshop to "stick it" and order me another one.
The new one I have shoots my "pet" load under 3/4moa rain/sleet/shine.... and all temps.
60 grains of RL22 behind a 140 CT, and a WLR primer with the Winchester nickle cases... it's basically a copy of the Winchester "Supreme" load.
I get an honest 3000 fps out of it in 20 degree weather... and around 3050 in hot weather.

NO, I bought one new and it would not cycle new remington loads reliable. Hardley close bolt or eject and a varmit contour. The store said I HAD TO SEND IN to factory, just bought it. 1-3 month wait. Took it to a smith, still not that great.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.