Remington 700 quality

Would you buy a Rem 700

• Yes

Votes: 555 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 190 25.5%

• Total voters
A couple of months a go I was visiting some customers in Southern MO. & stopped by a gun shop. They had a new M700 Mil Spec in 308, it had 10th Anniversary on the barrel (don't know if that's sign.) and I bought it for $999.00. It is very smooth. I have ordered a scope and will be shooting it in a couple of weeks. I hope it shoots.

I have a lam. stock Sendero (they did that a little while) in 300WM & it kicks butt, amazing actually. I have an old ugly wood stocked M700 that is does very well.

I also have a regular Sendero that started in 25-06 that did not do as it should, I had Kirby true rec, skim bed, crown & rechamber to 25-06AI, it is the bomb now!

We shall see on that Mil Spec

I still remember the first 25-06 I ever shot. It was a Weatherby Vanguard in the walnut stock. Had a very early Leupold 3.5x-10x scope on it. The first group I shot was in a strait line horizontally, and each bullet was touching the other. The nextgroup was about .60" for five shots. I liked it so well that I bought an identical rifle in 30-06 complete with the same scope and mounts. It shot a 3/4" group first time out (factory Remington loads). These rifles were not cheap in the day, and probably cost about $540 with optics and mounts. The 25-06 belonged to my brother, and he later bought several quarter bore rifles. He managed to get his hands on one of the first Mod. 700 Mountain Rifles in .257 Roberts. It shot 3/4" groups, one right after another and would often dip down to around .60". In my book that was a fine rifle in everyway. Great balance, stock was well designed, and just kinda fit like a glove. Why can't they still do that? I'd have loved to had one in .250AI !!!

Everybody builds something that dosn't turn out as well as we'd want it to. Just happens, but we also need to own up to it and fix the problems. It's not just Remington. I had issues with one well known rifle scope maker, and finally gave up on them. Now they seemed to have turned things around a little bit. I had a buddy that bought a set of 6BR dies from a maker some folks think can walk on water. The sizer was junk, but all they wanted to do was to lay blame on the end user. He went thru several sets of dies from the same maker (returned them to the dealer we all love so well). The dealer told them they had a problem and they still wanted to argue with them. He bought a Forster die to hold him over till it was resolved (took almost a year), and they discovered that they had reamed every die with a bad reamer. The solution is to shut up and simply fix the problem without whining about it!
gary

A couple of months a go I was visiting some customers in Southern MO. & stopped by a gun shop. They had a new M700 Mil Spec in 308, it had 10th Anniversary on the barrel (don't know if that's sign.) and I bought it for $999.00. It is very smooth. I have ordered a scope and will be shooting it in a couple of weeks. I hope it shoots.

I have a lam. stock Sendero (they did that a little while) in 300WM & it kicks butt, amazing actually. I have an old ugly wood stocked M700 that is does very well.

I also have a regular Sendero that started in 25-06 that did not do as it should, I had Kirby true rec, skim bed, crown & rechamber to 25-06AI, it is the bomb now!

The Milspecs are non catalog rifles that use the M24 barrel. I understand they are produced off line from the standard production rifles. I just bought my 4th in 300WM and have bought three 308's since they have been available. While the off the shelf rifles are hit or miss. All there of my Milpecs have the same chamber dimensions, are very well made and shoot as well as my customs with the same loads. The 5R barrel cleans qivkly and holds accuracy to at least 200 rounds with 168/175SMK's They all shoot .5 MOA with Federal Match ammo and .2-.3 with my hand loads. I hope my recently acquired 300WM does as well. Just go it yesterday. I have to say though, the MarkX trigger on the rifle I have is crap, and I already put one of my tuned, older Rem 700 triggers on it. Good luck with yours. Let us know how it shoots.

The Milspecs are non catalog rifles that use the M24 barrel. I understand they are produced off line from the standard production rifles. I just bought my 4th in 300WM and have bought three 308's since they have been available. While the off the shelf rifles are hit or miss. All there of my Milpecs have the same chamber dimensions, are very well made and shoot as well as my customs with the same loads. The 5R barrel cleans qivkly and holds accuracy to at least 200 rounds with 168/175SMK's They all shoot .5 MOA with Federal Match ammo and .2-.3 with my hand loads. I hope my recently acquired 300WM does as well. Just go it yesterday. I have to say though, the MarkX trigger on the rifle I have is crap, and I already put one of my tuned, older Rem 700 triggers on it. Good luck with yours. Let us know how it shoots.

Remington does have the ability to turn out a good rifle. I spent the last week or so working on this new 300wm Milspec. As mentioned, this is my fourth, and it shoots just as well as my last three in 308. After I broke it in with about 40 rounds, this was one of four or five similiar groups at 200 yards. I still need to work up the velocity and check ES but the results so far look pretty good. The 5R barrel cleans up very quickly.

Attachments

• 300wm 1.JPG
    300wm 1.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 77
Remington does have the ability to turn out a good rifle. I spent the last week or so working on this new 300wm Milspec. As mentioned, this is my fourth, and it shoots just as well as my last three in 308. After I broke it in with about 40 rounds, this was one of four or five similiar groups at 200 yards. I still need to work up the velocity and check ES but the results so far look pretty good. The 5R barrel cleans up very quickly.

Fantastic, I hope to be shooting my 308 soon.

Greyfox, you are absolutely correct on the " ability to turn out a good rifle". The one you just got is testament to that, and that is some **** good shooting in anybodies book.
I made a comment earlier in this thread about the fact that I have been a Remington man for the most of my life, and that the quality of the " new stuff" is substandard , as compared to what we are USED to seeing .
Seeing groups like your rifle is yielding, is encouraging , and it lends you to think that, one, they may be getting it together now, or, that some of the rifles that are seeming to have issues, and made by a different assembly group within the factory, with different machines and personell. I still am a Remington man at heart, and probably always will be. The inventory in my gunsafe proves it, custom or factory.:D

Nomosendero, just wanted to comment on the " Laminated stocked Sendero". Yeah, they did a run on them a while back, an I happened to see one in 7 STW on gun broker awhile ago. It was Gorgeous, and went for a high price as well. I tried to buy it, but the price went through the roof. I believe those stocks were made by S&K, which is the company that made the laminated stocks for the Varmint laminated series that they used to have, or maybe still do! Very nice!

Nomosendero, just wanted to comment on the " Laminated stocked Sendero". Yeah, they did a run on them a while back, an I happened to see one in 7 STW on gun broker awhile ago. It was Gorgeous, and went for a high price as well. I tried to buy it, but the price went through the roof. I believe those stocks were made by S&K, which is the company that made the laminated stocks for the Varmint laminated series that they used to have, or maybe still do! Very nice!

I saw one of those STW's, sure wish I had bought it!
We have a very good Smith in this area that builds alot of 7STW's they are very popular around here.
My 300 is the best shooting factory 300WM I have seen & is my favorite rifle.

I have had many different guns. Remingtons have not been on the list till recently. They are a good gun to build off of due to Parts and Smiths that work on them. And the wieght of the action. Kind of like the 350 chevy vs 351 Ford. Ford was a stronger engine but you could almost build 2 chevys engines for the same price. With that being said. I really like a good Model 70. I believe they are a stronger action. Also if I was not worried about weight I would not hesitate to build off a Weatherby Vanguard/Howa action very strong but it is heavier and less parts to choose from. And less smith build off them. Although the actions never seem to have to be trued. I also would love a custom build off a Thompson Icon. Also strong but heavey action. As far as Savage. They are about as accurate out of the box as your gonna get. But, I just can not get past the sloppiness of that gun. Although I do love the old 1960's 99c DM in a .308. With all that said. There is a balance in wieght, and strength. I think the Rem 700 and Win 70 achieve that. Then when it comes to parts and smiths the 700 wins. So, now after years and years I have 700's. I have a 1998 .260 DBM Mountian Rifle. Love that gun. Bought in the last month a 700 sps 7-08 shoots .50 all day. Have shot 60 rounds though it. Not bad for a 459 dollar gun. That gun will get a new stock. I also bought a week later a 700 CDL DM 7-08 that is waiting on a Krieger Barrel and an action job to a .260. Never shot that one. So, in all if your going build a Rem is a good way to go. Otherwise there are better guns for the dollar off the shelf. Weathery Vanguard or Thompson Icon come to mind. And hate to say it the new Browning XBolt. I would put them against any REM anyday for out of the box. IMHO

I wouldn't say that the Remington 700 is Junk. I LOVE mine in .270 Winchester. But with all of the Low Budget Tack drivers out there like the Marlin X7, gives the 700 a Run for its money.

I wouldn't say that the Remington 700 is Junk. I LOVE mine in .270 Winchester. But with all of the Low Budget Tack drivers out there like the Marlin X7, gives the 700 a Run for its money.

honestly, I have an older Marlin MR7 in my safe, that is kinda of built off the best of the rest (no better way to say it). It starts out with a similar action to a Mod. 70 Winchester, but the bolt is similar to a Remington with the Winchester saftey. Uses the small box type magazines that Browning used (well similar). Mine came in 30-06 with a 22" barrel if I remember right. Shoots 3/4" five shot groups with little if any serious load work. One thing I didn't like about it was the way they finished the stock out. It's a nice piece of walnut with that funky Marlin finish on it. Checkering appears to be hand cut and also done nicely. I'm sending the stock to the furnature stripper, and then give it a gazillion coats of hand rubbed oil. Kinda like to rebarrel it to 6.5-06 with a 25" length
gary

honestly, I have an older Marlin MR7 in my safe, that is kinda of built off the best of the rest (no better way to say it). It starts out with a similar action to a Mod. 70 Winchester, but the bolt is similar to a Remington with the Winchester saftey. Uses the small box type magazines that Browning used (well similar). Mine came in 30-06 with a 22" barrel if I remember right. Shoots 3/4" five shot groups with little if any serious load work. One thing I didn't like about it was the way they finished the stock out. It's a nice piece of walnut with that funky Marlin finish on it. Checkering appears to be hand cut and also done nicely. I'm sending the stock to the furnature stripper, and then give it a gazillion coats of hand rubbed oil. Kinda like to rebarrel it to 6.5-06 with a 25" length
gary

Its actually very very easy to strip a stock yourself, I highly reccomend giving it try it sometime, save you alot of time and $$.

Remington has turned into a marketing and price point company. They are focused on Walmart buyers. This shows through the manufacture of the cheaper rifles they now offer, IE770! The 700 is still a great tunable rifle but it now has some great competition that out shoots the 700 out of the box, Sako, Savage and The Weatherby series 2. If one wants to pick a rifle up off the shelf and have a tackdriver you cant beat a Accumark. The 700 use to be the accuracy darling but it now has very stiff competition..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.