Rem 700 Sendero 7mm STW ReBarrel

General RE LEE

I want to get a new barrel for my 700 Sendero. I've never had it done before. Do you just get a Sendero/varmint contour barrel 26" 1:9 or 1:8 twist 7mm and that's it or does the gunsmith need to get info before ordering.

Please feel free to recommend me aftermarket barrels. I've heard good things about Krieger.

You pick the barrel maker ,conture, twist and length,buy it and can have it shipped to your gunsmith . 1/9 will stabilize up to the 180's , 1/8 will stabilize 195 but you need a watts box .check out bugholes .com ,cheers

All about what you want. You can buy the barrel or your smith can. A lot smiths will get it a little cheaper. If you want to do it yourself get a Remage barrel. You can use other rifles and get measurements and compare to manufacturer shown profiles on what it will look like.
Twist rate is up to you I don't follow the hard "rules" I like a broad range. My 7stw sendero has 1000 rounds hard shooting. It shoots 5 shot groups 120gr@3600 and 175gr@3250 into .5" or less today. No way could anyone convince me anything other than the factory twist rate. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

I want to get a new barrel for my 700 Sendero. I've never had it done before. Do you just get a Sendero/varmint contour barrel 26" 1:9 or 1:8 twist 7mm and that's it or does the gunsmith need to get info before ordering.

Please feel free to recommend me aftermarket barrels. I've heard good things about Krieger.
With the growing trend towards longer and heavier bullets you won't make a mistake going with a 1:8 twist.

There's not enough difference between probably the top ten manufacturers to make any appreciable difference. I have several Kriegers and they are great barrels but there are lots of great choices.

I have had good luck with Shilen select match.
If you go the remage / pre-fit route and buy the headspace gauges ($60 ish) you can swap it out yourself for just the price of the barrel should you want to change twist rate down the road.
I have no experience with the 700 pre-fits, so I don't know if there is any loss of accuracy?? I have a 700 I want to re-barrel and thinking about the pre-fits.
I have one Salvage (they use pre-fits) and I have purchased barrels, swapped them at home and ended up with .5 shooters... so 🤷🏻‍♂️

A reamer with the appropriate freebore works wonders in the 7 stw.

I had a reamer ground with .020 freebore set up for the 120-150g bullets.

120g ttsx and nosler solid base lead tip, and ballistic tips at 3800 and 3850 with three shot groups in the 2's with 8-32 target scope using R#22 and IMR 7828, fed 215's, winchester brass.

140g Nosler Combined Tec bullets at 3600 in a 26", 9 twist is normal, add 100 fps for the pac nor three groove super match 11 T in a 27" tube that is twisted especially for the 140g Nosler C/T bullet.

I, brothers, cousins have never had a deer walk off with one of the above loads out to 550 yards, and some big Kansas deer flopped on the spot. We put up a food plot 500 yards from a stand on a power line, and we named it the STW stand, many, many deer were killed on that food plot, NONE taking more than a single shot.

The first 7 STW I had was right after Lane Simpson came out with the article in Shooting times magazine. We fire formed 8 Rem mag brass with the 120's shooting 1/2" groups out of the 26" hart barrel, .020 freebore reamer with R#22 and fed 215's. Cousins are still shooting those barrels.

I ran into some PMC 300 Weatherby brass that I formed brass from, and it is very, very tough brass.