rem 700 rum long range...how is it?

alaskan9974

I am thinking to buy a Rem 700 in the long range version in 300 rum.

How is it out of the box?

I'd like to run the factory barrel until it is shot out then stick a good one on. I don't really shoot factory ammo, all handloads. I have other .308's I reload for so I sold my Lapua and am looking for something in 30 cal.

Buddy has a Sendero in 300 Rum, I like it, but what is the difference between them from the factory….just the stock?

I am thinking to buy a Rem 700 in the long range version in 300 rum.

How is it out of the box?

I'd like to run the factory barrel until it is shot out then stick a good one on. I don't really shoot factory ammo, all handloads. I have other .308's I reload for so I sold my Lapua and am looking for something in 30 cal.

Buddy has a Sendero in 300 Rum, I like it, but what is the difference between them from the factory….just the stock?
Barrels are already good enough to shoot 1000yds. I've owned 4 in 300 rum. Trigger needs a spring or new trigger. I'd skim bed it and add a brake. Flute if you want to save weight. Depends on what your needs are.

Regarding sendero. Different stock and fluted.

I have the stainless version in 300WM, is very accurate with little load work up.

I also have a couple of Sendero's, these are far better fit/finished than the LR.
The trigger is horrible, I put a Timney Calvin Elite on mine.

I still haven't completely warmed to the stock...the cheek piece doesn't fit me well.

Other than those things, for the money laid out, it is still a good buy and would suit mists needs.

Cheers.

Just looking for something to replace my Lapua, that is close to it balletically in 30 cal. I shoot out past 1k for fun, and generally don't try on game past 600, mainly Caribou or Brown Bear. I reload, so I was thinking either 300WSM or RUM.

I was thinking to throw it on the lathe, thread it and throw a can on. Is sub-moa too hopeful for a stock rifle in this format, with just a timney or jewell trigger and a bed job.

Just looking for something to replace my Lapua, that is close to it balletically in 30 cal. I shoot out past 1k for fun, and generally don't try on game past 600, mainly Caribou or Brown Bear. I reload, so I was thinking either 300WSM or RUM.

I was thinking to throw it on the lathe, thread it and throw a can on. Is sub-moa too hopeful for a stock rifle in this format, with just a timney or jewell trigger and a bed job.
That is perfect for your application. Sub moa is definitely achievable

I bought on about two years ago on a fire sale. I put in a Timney 510 and bedded it myself. It shoots very well, definitely sub moa with 225 eldm's at 2970. It's a good platform, it is basically a first gen Sendero with the black barrel.

That is perfect for your application. Sub moa is definitely achievable

I bought on about two years ago on a fire sale. I put in a Timney 510 and bedded it myself. It shoots very well, definitely sub moa with 225 eldm's at 2970. It's a good platform, it is basically a first gen Sendero with the black barrel.

Thanks! Just ordered one and some reloading supplies. My credit card hates me after getting my FFL renewed.

How hard is it to change the barrel out on these? Do they make prefit ones if I wanted to move to a 300PRC in the future?

I haven't looked for a PRC prefit barrel specifically but there are plenty of prefits out there. I did a Remage prefit in 7mm, a prefit barrel with a Savage style barrel nut. There are other prefit options out there too.

Here is what I ended up with, plan to reload for it this week and try it out this coming weekend.

Attachments

• pix009472995.jpg
    pix009472995.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 149
I use Amax 178 and 208s in my 308, seems they work well in the 300 rum with Retumbo, starting from there.

Got it out earlier, it shot sub moa with a random load of 98gr retumbo and 168 vld bergers.

Have a few hundred of them, never got them to shoot in my 308. Wish they were heavier will work up loads with the 208-212 hornadys this weekend.

Only complaint is this rifle is like my .50bmg... the noise isn't the problem...you can feel the muzzle blast in your sinus.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.