Rem 700 LR 25-06

Rkling24

Hey guys, I got a new rem700 LR in 25-06 and have put a Leupold vx3 on it. I have put 40 rounds through it, a box of Barnes vortex 100gr and hornady 117 gr And it doesn't seem to like the vortex very much and hornady is very inconsistent at 100yds. I know I haven't tried all brands just trying to see what has worked for other owners of this gun. Thanks in advance for the help!

What is your barrel length and twist rate? I'm guessing 24" and 1:10"? I don't buy factory ammo for my .25-06 as I handload. My rifle shoots a lot of bullets good and I have used the Hornady 87 grain Spire point and the Sierrra 90 grain Blitzking for varmints. For deer, it's either the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic tip or the Sierra 117 grain Gameking. All of these bullets have been around for a while, give me consistent .5 MOA performance, they're cost effective and have good terminal performance. If you can find any factory offerings with these bullets, it might be worth trying a box. Cheers!

What is your barrel length and twist rate? I'm guessing 24" and 1:10"? I don't buy factory ammo for my .25-06 as I handload. My rifle shoots a lot of bullets good and I have used the Hornady 87 grain Spire point and the Sierrra 90 grain Blitzking for varmints. For deer, it's either the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic tip or the Sierra 117 grain Gameking. All of these bullets have been around for a while, give me consistent .5 MOA performance, they're cost effective and have good terminal performance. If you can find any factory offerings with these bullets, it might be worth trying a box. Cheers!
I have the 26" barrel and yes the 1:10 twist

I know a guy used the superformance and fusion loads and he said he had no reason to handload......
All i know...
I load for my son's with rl17......pinholes.....but beware...it can shoot extremely fast.....way to fast without signs...

Synthetic or wood stock.
Free float barrel.
Have you checked the action screws.

A few cleanings,,, then run some bullets down the pipe,,, we call it the break in,,, try another scope to find out if your groups tighten up...

At least it will rule that out,,, change 1 thing at a time...

Keep us up to date on what you find out...

Cheers from the North

Federal 115 Partions shoot very well out of my Browning. Might want to try those or the 110 Accubonds.

Lot's of good factory offerings on Midway. The 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tip was also a very good shooter in my 24" bbl.

I have been shooting the 25-06 about 30 years and there are a few bullets that just stand out for usage on deer. My favorite bullet is the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter or Game King. My current rifle shoots the Pro Hunter best. 115 Nosler BT, 115 Nosler Partition, 100 gr Sierra GK are other outstanding deer bullets. Federal used to load the 117 Sierra and 115 Nosler BT and Partition in some of their ammo. Only factory ammo I have ever shot has been what people have given me and I shot it up just for the cases except some Remington 87gr HP I think it was that shot so good I used it to kill some ground hogs once. I hand load for best ammo. Powders that just stand out are H4831, and any of the 4350s. I have not tried any of the newer powders because at this stage in life I am more and more an "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it" person. To make any factory Remington 700 shoot well it has been my standard procedure to free float the barrel, set the trigger at 2 1/2 lbs, if wood stock glass bed. Make sure that you check the action screws and keep tight. You will need to break in the rifle by shooting it some and cleaning it then do all your shooting on a fouled barrel. No offence intended but it has been my experience that many so called bad shooting rifles is operator era. Make sure that you have a good front rest and rear bag on a steady table. DO NOT USE ONE OF THOSE LEAD SLED TYPE REST. The rifle needs to recoil the same every shot like it will while hunting. Use a proper relaxed shooting form with cheek weld in the same sport every time. Follow BRASS ,B breathe, R relax, A aim in (get a proper sight picture) S stop breathing (take in a full breath and then let out about half to a comfortable pause) S squeeze the trigger (Let it be a surprise when the rifle fires) If you know when the rifle is going to fire then you made it fire and jerked the trigger. Good luck, you will love that 25-06 on deer and it is a laser with lighter bullets in the varmint field.

Hey guys, I got a new rem700 LR in 25-06 and have put a Leupold vx3 on it. I have put 40 rounds through it, a box of Barnes vortex 100gr and hornady 117 gr And it doesn't seem to like the vortex very much and hornady is very inconsistent at 100yds. I know I haven't tried all brands just trying to see what has worked for other owners of this gun. Thanks in advance for the help!

hate to tell you this, but I had the same rifle for a short time. I reloaded a bunch of different rounds trying to dial it in and never could. It also wouldn't feed shells out of the magazine which took about 10 weeks to get fixed.I ended up selling it. Hope your outcome is better than mine.

My Vanguard 25-06 loves the Federal Power-Skok117's. Goldilocks.
I shoot a Vanguard as well. Federal VitalShock (Premium line)w 117 gr Sierra bt Gamekings. Just bought 3 more boxes from Natchez. 4 rounds for 4 deer. Tight groups and easy blood trails on the 2 that didn't fall in their tracks.

When I decided to buy a rifle the supplement my meager two rifle stable, I opted for the 25-06. I had a 30-06 and a 22-250 so my thought was to buy something as a crossover. Use it for deer and varmints.
When I first acquired the 25-06 a very good friend from Kansas told me, based on his life long experience with his multiple 25-06, to shot a Sierra 117-120 grain bullet with
H-4831. Being on a life style budget, low income and three kids, I tried some yard sale 87 grain Hornady bullets and a powder other than H-4831. Group looked like a shotgun group. My friend chewed my butt for wasting time on a loading that didn't work.
I went to the Sierra manual, picked a middle of the road load using H-4831 and 117 grain GameKings. Looking through my scope as I was shooting the group, I was really unhappy because only one shot was on the paper at a hundred yards. When I finished the string I walked down to the target and got the surprise of the year. That group was a measured, outside to outside, .367. I didn't realize at that time in my shooting that you measured center to center. I am, as someone else said, of the opinion, Isn't broken, don't fix it.
The rifle I was using was a used Ruger 77 with the tang safety of unknown round count. I did glass bed it and free float the barrel. I was using a Leupold 12 power scope with adjustable objective. I loaded those rounds, and continue to do so, with standard old RCBS dies. I still have the rifle and it still shoots itty, bitty groups.
There are other powders out there that are probably as good a choice as H-4831 but I really don't have any interest in trying to find a different load.
It has been my experience with Barnes bullets that bullet seating depth is really finicky. Once you find the correct COAL they will shoot. Factory seating may not be the best for your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.