Rem 5R 300 win mag, vs Savage FCP 338 Lapua, accuracy, consistency...

Extreme454

After a few years off, I'm getting ready to jump back in to long range shooting. I know comparing 338LM to 300WM is somewhat of apples and oranges, but I'm reading so much about the consistent accuracy of the these 5R's and I'm almost thinking that the shortcomings of the the 300, may be made up for in the 5R's accuracy and consistency, over the Savage.

Realistically, we won't be shooting much past 1500 yards, and more commonly 1000 yards and in. Most will probably say a proper recipe with 300wm will suit this just fine. But I've also had experience in the wind, and its hard to beat 338lm in the wind, kinda like cheating.

I want to stick to a factory rifle, as I'm trying to stay under $1300 for the rifle itself. So far, theses two seem to be best bang for the buck.

Ammo is not in the equation for my decision, as I reload and I have the equipment to reload both calibers. I know 300 is cheaper for the components, but getting roughly 10 rounds out of 338 lapua brass kinda makes them equal in cost.

I guess what I'm looking for, is anyone that has had some first hand experience, with either rifle, heck, experience with both would be great.

Any help is appreciated.

I picked up a 26" 5R 300 Win last year and use it as a long range rig. I load the Berger 230 OTM with Retumbo and run them at 2800 fps. I'd call it a solid 1/2-3/4 MOA rifle without tedious case prep. I haven't shot it at 1000 but out to 700 yards it's good enough to make first round hits.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.