Reloading Press Poll

kherter

I am wondering what the most popular press is for loading precision rifle ammo. If you wouldn't mind sharing what you use and what you like and dislike about it?

Thanks in advance!!

I really like my Hornady L-N-L
It's no Reading, Dillon, or Forster, but It does everything I need, & I love the quick change bushings.

I do not like progressive reloaders for rifle brass. My 40 year old Rockchucker still works very well. I also have a RCBS Partner which is smaller, but just as good. Also have a Lee, never use it. Most accurate reloading is with an arbor press and Wilson chamber dies.

I still have my Rockchucker that I bought in 1970. Kept the ram and bushimgs lightly lubed the whole time. I couldnt even guess how many rounds have been put through it from 38 special to 500-450H&H. Still produces my competition loads with run outs, and headspace under .0005". This is a key aspect that determines the viability of a press. I bought a replacement a few years ago just because it had taller opening for easier loading of the longer magnums. Ended up giving it to my son in law because I didn't want to readjust the numerous dyes I have set up over the years.

I started using the Redding T-7 Turret press about 4 yrs ago. Liked it so well I now own two. This press combined with the Redding Comp dies allow me to produce the best precision ammo I ever have in my 30 + yrs of hand loading. I really like the fact I never have to re-set up a die. They are always there ready to go and always at the same depth as last time. I have a few extra heads that alow me to load for several clibers and never remove a die. I really like this press and I get a TIR average of less than .001" plus my shoulder bump is always the same too.

Jeff

i use a forster co-ax single stage. i like the ability to change the dies out quickly.

I have yet to check the run out on the rounds. but they group consistently.

I use a Forster 90% of the time, and have a small RCBS Partner sitting right beside it. At the range I use a small K&M arbor press with Wilson dies. I have no problems with any of these presses, and each has advantages over the others.
gary

I would be inclined to try a redding If I bought another because I love redding, however my rockchucker IV has been a great press, I can honestly say I see no room for improvement in the repeatability aspect. A turret might be nice but I will probably never replace this one.

I am wondering what the most popular press is for loading precision rifle ammo. If you wouldn't mind sharing what you use and what you like and dislike about it?

Thanks in advance!!

You mean there are other precision reloading presses besides the Forester Coax?

I also have a RCBS Rockchucker that we have used since my father bought it sometime in the '70's. I noticed a potential problem comming with it though, we are going to start reloading 7mm Rem Mag with Burger VLD's and Redding type S match dies (the ones with the sliding sleaves). Needless to say space is going to be a bit of an issue, you can make it work but it will definatally slow things down.

I was considering a Redding T7 turret press for the simple fact that I can put multiple dies in and leave them there and easily switch between sizers, seaters and other calibers. It should I believe have more room for the longer magnum calibers as well. It is good to see that others have used them and are very satisfied with there performance. Should be nice to reload pistol ammo when I decide to start with that too, although a good progressive press would be the shisnit for that.

Thanks for the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.