Reloader 26 in 6.5 creedmoor

I ran 49.0 RE26 for 3,080fps with the 124H in a 26" Browning bbl. Pressure wasn't a problem at that charge but accuracy was terrible. 47.0 of RE26 was very accurate.
I was using Lapua SRP cases and CCI450 primers.

I have a 6.5 creedmoor with a 26" barrel. Been reading about the high velocities achieved with reloader 26. Claims as high as 3000 fps with 140s.
I'm like to hear more success stories and what your data is for it.
I'm also wondering how temp stable reloader 26 is?
I just wish I could find some reloader 26 been looking for a couple of years with no luck

I just wish I could find some reloader 26 been looking for a couple of years with no luck
I have to. Two weeks ago a buddy of mine says I've got 12 pounds I'll never use. Before i could comment on the text another buddy said he wanted it. I was able to get 4lbs of the 12 though. Felt like Christmas

So here something that I don't quite understand about RL26 or maybe I'm not aware for a better response. Why is there not other powders out there like RL26 or close to RL26. What I mean is we all see a large increase in velocity when using RL26, to the point that nothing I have tried comes close. I got 150fps on the same weight bullet compared to Retumbo when pressuring out. Accuracy and speed was really good on my 300RUM. Over 200fps when compared to H1000. I remember when Retumbo came out and it was the new rave. You got like maybe a 75 to 100fps increase over 7828 or H1000. Then RL33 came out and heavy magnum guys tried it but it had mixed results and the temp thing and speed thing was not quite the best as what it was talked up to be. You got N570 but I have never tried it and I don't think it comes close to RL26 for speed seem to be closer to Retumbo. Just mind boggling that RL26 is so much different that other companies are not making something really close to it and why Alliant powder is not making a ton of this stuff. It would still fly off the shelf.

I saw this thread awhile back and decided to give it a try in my custom 6.5 Creed, Stiller with a 26" 1-8 twist benchmark. 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua SRP brass, 147 ELD-M, FED205GM, COAL 2.8770" (custom chambered for VLD's slightly longer throat than SAMI).

I ran powder charge testing and seating depth testing and ended up with a pretty solid load at 46.2 grains of Reloader 26. 20 shot average was 2960 FPS with an SD of 9 FPS. Should be a sweet long-range Antelope load for this year! FYI, zero signs of pressure with this load in my rifle, obviously work up carefully.

(Who needs a 6.5 PRC) 😆.

I've been telling people this for years. The little creed is no joke with heavies and rl 26. As much muzzle energy as most regular long action hunting rifles but much more energy at longer ranges due to the really high bc. Those 147s really slay the deer too. I wouldn't use them on anything bigger myself but Im sure someone has. I only aim for the lungs on all my shots if I can and they make lung soup. When I built my 6.5 saum I said the same thing you said. Who needs it the creed is plenty. I do get 3150 from the saum and thats the accuracy node not maxed out. Is it necessary? Probably not. But I do like the saum too. Both will get it done no issue. Glad you like the combo and posted your results. The creed haters just can't except that. Heck at one point for a long while I said I would never own one. Didn't hate on it just didn't want one. Now Im a huge 6.5 fan. Any flavor if its 6.5.
Shep

Great info. I use R26 in my 6.5 PRC,with great results, but never in the creedmore, how would it work for the lighter bullets such as the Hammer 124 Hunter, in the 6.5 Creedmore?

I doubt you can get enough rl26 in a case to hit full pressure with a 124. With 140 class bullets the case is completely full. The 147 has a long bearing surface and still is almost completely full. Ive had good speeds with light bullets using superformance. Accuracy was fantastic in one gun with a 20 inch barrel. That particular gun was the slowest creed ive ever shot. I mean slow on the 200 fps low with factory rounds. Superformance got the speeds back up and was well under half moa. Im not a fan of short barrels but this thing was a turd.
Shep

I've been telling people this for years. The little creed is no joke with heavies and rl 26. As much muzzle energy as most regular long action hunting rifles but much more energy at longer ranges due to the really high bc. Those 147s really slay the deer too. I wouldn't use them on anything bigger myself but Im sure someone has. I only aim for the lungs on all my shots if I can and they make lung soup. When I built my 6.5 saum I said the same thing you said. Who needs it the creed is plenty. I do get 3150 from the saum and thats the accuracy node not maxed out. Is it necessary? Probably not. But I do like the saum too. Both will get it done no issue. Glad you like the combo and posted your results. The creed haters just can't except that. Heck at one point for a long while I said I would never own one. Didn't hate on it just didn't want one. Now Im a huge 6.5 fan. Any flavor if its 6.5.
Shep
I thought you were a huge .25 fan.

I doubt you can get enough rl26 in a case to hit full pressure with a 124. With 140 class bullets the case is completely full. The 147 has a long bearing surface and still is almost completely full. Ive had good speeds with light bullets using superformance. Accuracy was fantastic in one gun with a 20 inch barrel. That particular gun was the slowest creed ive ever shot. I mean slow on the 200 fps low with factory rounds. Superformance got the speeds back up and was well under half moa. Im not a fan of short barrels but this thing was a turd.
Shep
I hit pressure with superforamance at 46 gr and ~ 2950 fps. I didn't hit pressure with the R26 until ~3000 fps.

Recent Posts