Recoil

I don't know why but I don't feel the recoil in the field (although I sometimes know at the moment that I'm being pushed back) and I don't hear the shot (I'm now wearing very expensive hearing aids and this year started wearing sound attenuating ear muffs when I'm about to shoot game). I just returned from three weeks is South Africa with my friend and professional hunter Tom Dreyer where I used my .458 Win Mag to take a 45" Cape Buffalo and a 28 ½" Roan bull, and my 8mm Rem Mag on a large Eland and a 60 1/2" Kudo bull. No shoulder pain, no sharp rap (maybe no brain).
I use Limb Saver and Air Tech Limb Saver butt pads on all of my big bore rifles. I don't have any with recoil reducers on the barrels. The stocks are eBay cheapy Rem. injection molded hollow stocks just for Africa where they take a lot of punishment from brush and the truck.
When I shoot these same rifles at the range for load development and final scope check prior to the hunt, I use a lead-sled with 4-25lb bags of bird shot or suffer after just a few rounds. I try to get to the range at least twice per month.
Last year I hunted with Tom for just over 5-weeks in both South Africa and Mozambique to harvest a Buffalo, Hippo, Leopard, Kudo, and multiples on Sable, Gemsbuck, Waterbuck, and Nyala plus a Golden Wildebeest, an Impala and a Wart Hog. I used both the .458 Win Mag and my CZ .375 H&H mag. Never wore hearing protection or shoulder protection and never felt any recoil.
Again, I've never worn hearing protection in the field until this year and paid a heavy price. I shoot 200-grain Nosler Partition's in my Rem 700 8mm Rem Mag, 300-grain Barnes, Hornady, and Swift A-frame's in the CZ .375, and 500-grain Swift A-frame's in my .458 Win Mag. along with a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen with 250-grain Hornady's.
I'll be at this years' SCI convention in Nashville at the end of Jan/beginning Feb with Tom Dreyer at his display at booth # 2707 if you want to come by and look at hunting photo albums and videos. Here is this year's harvest:

tempImageBcJkH0.png
tempImageE3C87V.png
tempImage6fe4Of.png
IMG_0498.jpeg
IMG_0459.jpeg
IMG_0520.jpeg

Last edited:
@duckklr - congrats on a very successful hunting season. Your taxidermy bill alone makes me weak in the knees.

The only time I have truly felt recoil while hunting was shooting heavy 3.5" 12 ga from a poorly designed duck blind. Always be aware of solid objects behind your head before shooting. I saw stars but the wood duck was recovered. Ouch!

A dear friend that is no longer alive thanks to cancer was with me when we spotted elk up a steep grade at about 230 to 350 yards.I lay as low to the ground as I could and aimed uphill.That position put the scope too close to my eye.My eyebrow hides the 6 stiches it took to close it.
With less recoil the problem would be less rearward scope movement.
I am drawn to the clamp on as there are places I have been that won't let you have anything screwed on the barrel.If I get to go and get drawn I could just take the brake off
There was a fella on here a few years back I was chatting with...he thought the clamp on made sense too....after his first shot....he stumbled across the brake 5 months later...70 yards from where he was originally shooting!!!🤣😂

There was a fella on here a few years back I was chatting with...he thought the clamp on made sense too....after his first shot....he stumbled across the brake 5 months later...70 yards from where he was originally shooting!!!🤣😂
I've seen this happen and he told me that it happened once before. After we found it after a half hour looking I asked him if he ever thought about painting it orange.

Last edited:
Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
I regret ever putting brakes on my .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H Mag. Mercury inserts and Limbsaver recoil pads are as effective, and without the "Studebaker muffler" on the end of the barrel. Either or now has very manageable recoil, without the horrific muzzle blast that a brake will generate.

Have you ever heard of the terminator? I was looking for a muzzle brake for myself, when I came across this. I was pretty impressed,they had different videos of different rifles, showing recoil before and after installation of the muzzle brake. There was a noticeable difference. I'm really thinking about getting one for myself. Kinda pricey, the one I need is around 220.00 look for Terminator Muzzle Brake and it will lead you to the site. Good luck

I regret ever putting brakes on my .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H Mag. Mercury inserts and Limbsaver recoil pads are as effective, and without the "Studebaker muffler" on the end of the barrel. Either or now has very manageable recoil, without the horrific muzzle blast that a brake will generate.
Thank you for that!Someone else said similar comments.
Our old friend muddyboot's gave us a link and I will check them out.

They make sleeves or thread protectors if one doesn't want to use the brake.
I use them on my brownings