Recoil reduction on 300 RUM

Several people have ask what happened to the Video I had poster on this thread. Not sure but I
will repost it for them and anyone interested in watching it.

Recoil reduction of large overbore cartridges. - YouTube

J E CUSTOM
That's a good video JE. Is that you pulling the trigger if so nice to put a face to the knowledge. I have a couple of questions, the video is very convincing. So one of my questions is, have you ever had a properly installed break decrease the accuracy of a rifle due to barrel harmonics or any other physical change in the barrel? Also my outside diameter of my barrel is 0.649 in. Is there a recommended size of break, I don't know if a break is to heavy if would influence the harmonics in a negative way? And one more question, do breaks really trash some scopes? The gun is a TC Venture 30/06 24in. Barrel. Thanks.
Bill Gohring.

That's a good video JE. Is that you pulling the trigger if so nice to put a face to the knowledge. I have a couple of questions, the video is very convincing. So one of my questions is, have you ever had a properly installed break decrease the accuracy of a rifle due to barrel harmonics or any other physical change in the barrel? Also my outside diameter of my barrel is 0.649 in. Is there a recommended size of break, I don't know if a break is to heavy if would influence the harmonics in a negative way? And one more question, do breaks really trash some scopes? The gun is a TC Venture 30/06 24in. Barrel. Thanks.
Bill Gohring.

Thanks. Yes I am the "Old" guy. I had been in my shop building rifles and did not think I would be In the video or I would have at least changed shirts. (I thought he had the camera on the rifle only)

In answer to your other question= For the most part the testing we did on the Assassin proved
that most of the time accuracy improved. (Sounds like a sales pitch for my brakes, but some other brakes did ok and some didn't). I have never had a muzzle brake hurt accuracy but sometimes
it may move the POI or change the preferred loading.

The main reason that a good brake should not hurt accuracy is because the bullet is gone before
the muzzle brake starts to do its job.

The extra weight seems to dampen the harmonics of the barrel, and the full size brakes seem better at this than the small/light weight.

The smallest Assassin is 1" in diameter and lighter and doesn't improve the accuracy as much/often.

On the scope issue= there are some brake designs that could very well cause scope and other types of damage. This is another video of some more test we performed that are quite dramatic=

Hope this answered your questions

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Yes I am the "Old" guy. I had been in my shop building rifles and did not think I would be In the video or I would have at least changed shirts. (I thought he had the camera on the rifle only)

In answer to your other question= For the most part the testing we did on the Assassin proved
that most of the time accuracy improved. (Sounds like a sales pitch for my brakes, but some other brakes did ok and some didn't). I have never had a muzzle brake hurt accuracy but sometimes
it may move the POI or change the preferred loading.

The main reason that a good brake should not hurt accuracy is because the bullet is gone before
the muzzle brake starts to do its job.

The extra weight seems to dampen the harmonics of the barrel, and the full size brakes seem better at this than the small/light weight.

The smallest Assassin is 1" in diameter and lighter and doesn't improve the accuracy as much/often.

On the scope issue= there are some brake designs that could very well cause scope and other types of damage. This is another video of some more test we performed that are quite dramatic=
How important is seeing the hit? - YouTube

Hope this answered your questions

J E CUSTOM
so I should go with the biggest/ heaviest break that is practical for my rifle? Weight is not a problem its mostly a range rifle. Thanks you did answer all of my questions...

I was having some trouble getting the second video to download but I got it. WOW that is the most interesting thing I have ever watched. As far as technical rifle research is concerned. The wrong break can trash more than my scope,"holy crap" does this happen to rifles without breaks? How do I go about ordering the proper size assassin break for my barrel contour or is it installed only in your shop, if so I'll save my money and get it done... I'll never trust just any break on my rifle from now on....thanks JE that was enlightening....
Bill Gohring.

Rifles are designed to recoil straight back and do not bend/flex the barrel normally. extremely
light barrels tend to twist the opposite direction of the rifling twist and even whip in some cases (Hence the name buggy whip).

Due to the shape /drop of the stock they will also buck up when fired (This is normal)

A really good brake that has apposing ports or radial holes all round does not impart uneven
stresses on a barrel. In fact the fact that they tame the recoil it normally improves the barrel reactions making them more consistent.

If a brake is improperly or poorly installed they can screw everything up, So they have to be installed correctly.

J E CUSTOM

Rifles are designed to recoil straight back and do not bend/flex the barrel normally. extremely
light barrels tend to twist the opposite direction of the rifling twist and even whip in some cases (Hence the name buggy whip).

Due to the shape /drop of the stock they will also buck up when fired (This is normal)

A really good brake that has apposing ports or radial holes all round does not impart uneven
stresses on a barrel. In fact the fact that they tame the recoil it normally improves the barrel reactions making them more consistent.

If a brake is improperly or poorly installed they can screw everything up, So they have to be installed correctly.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks JE. Anybody that is thinking about a muzzle break should watch those two videos. And any freshman gunsmith that installs muzzle breaks should also watch...

Have you done any testing on how effective the 1" round brake is in comparison to the full sized one?

Yes it appears to be almost as effective but with shorter ports It loses 2 or 3 % (not bad but not as good as the larger brakes)

Also the perceived sound is louder than the full size brake. the best recoil reduction with a 1" brake
on a 300 rum was 68% the full size went to 70% with the same rifle and load.

The same rifle and load with the best round factory muzzle brake we could find/test was 51%.

The least reduction of the un tuned 1" round was 58% on a 308.

So there is a loss in efficiency with the 1"round but not enough to make it a poor performer.

I am working on a 1'' round with the same design that can be turned to .750 safely for the people that like the looks of the round brakes. and if it performs it will be added to my list of different brakes sizes. after lots of testing I understand more about how muzzle brakes work, and how they function. and I think I can improve on the performance of round brakes. I have to try.

I realize that not everyone likes the large flat brakes, but I was after maximum sound and recoil reduction and felt this was the only way to top some already outstanding muzzle brakes.

J E CUSTOM

Here is one of Jerry's round Assassins on my fathers 7 saum. My father is 65 years old and recoil sensitive. I knew we could make him a better shooter if we just stopped the flinch he has developed. This rifle is now his favorite and will be ordering another round assassin for his 25 wssm target rifle. These brakes work. I have one on all my RUMs with 60-70% reduction. They are worth every penny!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 170
Thanks for the post and the pictures Jayson.

I am glad your dad Likes the break and gets to shoot more.

J E CUSTOM

have you did any testting with the 338 lapua ?

Sorry I missed your post/question.

Yes, I have done test with the 338 Lapua and had great results.

The 300 grain loads went from 41.6 ft/lbs of recoil to 17.8 ft/lbs of recoil. (57.1% reduction)

The 250 grain loads went from 38.8 ft/lbs of recoil to 14.4 ft/lbs of recoil.(62.9 % reduction)

The Lapua has a small powder charge with heavy bullets compared to most of the big 338s,
so the % reduction will be slightly less with all types of brakes.

The tuned Assassin appears to add 6 to 8% over the un tuned and 12 to 20% over other brakes
we have tested.

J E CUSTOM

I really love this brake! This is my wife shooting my new 300rum with 100gr rl33 and 230gr berger bullets. All she has shot until this video was her ar15. I think the recoil is very manageable!

[ame]http://youtu.be/rQx0041lZyc[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.