Rebarreling remington 700

JDStaghunter

G'day all,

This is my first post here, names JD and I'm an aussie and mad keen hunter.

First of all I need a new rifle, I sold my 300WM sako Bavarian because she was just too heavy and I've been trying to sell my .270 rem 700 as it's not the calibre I want for mountain hunting sambar and reds. I've only so far had blokes jerking me around trying to get the rifle for next to nothing so I had the idea of possibly rebarreling it into the 7mm RM that I want.

I'll admit I'm an idiot and don't know much about it so I was wondering if you gents would be able to tell me what is required for this to go ahead? I'm just trying to work out whether it'd be financially viable to do it or whether I should just buy a new gun.

Cheers,

JD

Hi JD,& welcome to this Great forum, yes you could rebarrel your 270 but I'd advise you to fine a Very good gunsmith talk this out with him and weigh your options. The two rifles you talk of are great indeed,but I think you just want a lighter rifle all around, you could restock your 270 and rebarrel it to some cartridge with the same bolt face ,6.5/06 280ai,etc Q are you a Wsm fan have you shot a 270,7MM or 30 wsms ? Heck maybe sale and get a tikka it's your choice my friend, make your self happy !!!:D:D:D hint if you rebarrel try a Cut-rifled tube Grin ,clear as mud hey , there you go cheers & keep us posted Jjmp

Australian gunsmiths you do have a few option not sure on the market and gun control issue in Australia . Or whats available for decent ammo & supplies

Last edited:
As mentioned by JJMP you will have to open up the bolt face on the current bolt. The extractor has to be changed as well. Many gunsmiths will like to install a Sako extractor.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rce=ir&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-IR-_-59979

So in addition to the cost of the part you will be paying for the machining. Expect to pay in excess of $100 US.

Then there is the issue of the new barrel. Typically a new custom barrel made by Bartlein, Lilja, Krieger etc is going to be $300 plus just for the barrel. Then there will be more labor costs for the installation.

It might be easier to sell the existing rifle and buy another Remington with the magnum bolt face and a new factory barrel.

You could have the bolt opened up and buy a new Rem takeoff in 7 Rem mag which are quite common. It is not uncommon to have the headspace be correct when switching out Rem barrels which would save you the cost of having it headspaced. Can't guarantee that fact but I have encountered it often enough to mention it.

Hope that answers your questions.

Welcome to the forum mate. When you start changing case head diameter to a larger diameter, 270 Win. Shell base .473 to 7 mm RM Shell base .532, on a Remington action, It is sort like falling down a multi level Mine shaft and hitting on your billfold at every level.

First level: A new Barrel.

Second Level: Bolt machining to Open face and Replace extractor.
Or Buy new bolt with Magnum face and extractor.

Third Level: Feeder Rail machining to feed the larger case.

Fourth Level: Replace Follower and Magazine Housing.
You have to go to the 4th level to have a magazine fed repeater like your 270 Win. is now.

Just to go to a bigger caliber, Like 30-06 Springfield, Would only take a barrel.
If you want a full magnum I would sell the 270 Win. and put the money toward your new rifle. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

.280 Remington, if you want a factory 7mm cartridge, .280 AI if you handload, and it uses your .270 brass; duplicates 7mm Mag with less powder and barrel wear. 30-06 is always good, and more commercially available than anything else, but there is also .35 Whelen, for which there are several factory loads. If you handload, the .338-06 might be even better than the Whelen. At nominal ranges, any of these should do the job, as all are considered satisfactory for Elk, which is a bit larger than either Sambar or Red Deer. I am not a fan of short barrels; 24" is what most everything tests with, except the Magnums, which call for 26". Whatever your do, be sure to match the barrel twist to the heaviest bullet you plan to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.