REBARRELING A 300 RUM

Endless_prusuits

Looking for suggestions on cartridges to re barrel a rem 700 currently chambered in 300 rum.

I like the Ultra Magnum a lot but there are a few issues for me.

Brass availability is the #1 it's become increasingly hard to find and ultra expensive.

If you have a suggestion for a cartridge that fits well in the rum size action and has good brass availability I'm all ears

Pretty much everything is in short supply now. It's going to be hard to find a solution that matches this performance. I find it available, though maybe $4 a case. Given reloaded ammo will run you that or more, that's not such a terrible deal.

Looking for suggestions on cartridges to re barrel a rem 700 currently chambered in 300 rum.

Brass availability is the #1 it's become increasingly hard to find and ultra expensive.

If you have a suggestion for a cartridge that fits well in the rum size action and has good brass availability I'm all ears
ADG now makes .300 RUM brass, https://atlasdg.com/product/300-rem-ultramag/

Peterson as well.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/101349

Just about everything is expensive these days.

Last edited:

As this is a dedicated "western hunting rifle" I'd leave well enough alone personally!

If it's a plinking and target gun too then that makes sense but man that's a good setup for a hunting rifle. Think of how much a person spends on gasoline alone for most hunting people do nowadays and the price of brass, especially with ADG making RUM brass that'll last a good while, is the least of our problems.

I have a 300RUM also. I make it a habit of buying dies, brass, bullets(I have several .308 cal. Rifles)and potential powders when i buy the weapon. Just a suggestion for future referance. I don't know but you might look at a mid size case like 300 WM, 30-06, 270 etc. But you need to ask someone about it feeding. I was told that Rem. did something different to make the RUM series feed properly. I've never seen any difference but I've never laid 2. 1 rum and 1long sides side looking.

If your 300rum is accurate I wouldn't re barrel it. I have some new Norma 300rum brass I'd sell if it would help you?

Keep it 300 RUM.

I had a 300 RUM I rebarreled back to a 300 RUM. One of my better decisions. 😁

Shoots bug holes with the Berger 215, and in the 3's with the Berger 210 VLDH. 27" Krieger barrel spits them out at 3150 fps.

Edit: added a couple files to help push you keeping it 300 RUM. 😁

(Note: I also have a 30 Nosler, 300WM, 28 Nosler, 7mm RSAUM, and a few others. 300 RUM is a KING)

Attachments

• CDD2A7DF-21A4-476A-87FB-905BE8CEE2C4.jpeg
    CDD2A7DF-21A4-476A-87FB-905BE8CEE2C4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 347F0C82-A55B-4BEF-9406-5ED29435BCA4.jpeg
    347F0C82-A55B-4BEF-9406-5ED29435BCA4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
Last edited: