Re-chambering a rifle from magnum to standard calibers

ICONDUCT

I am fortunate enough to have found a 1984-ish Sako L61R Finnbear in mint condition. Even more astonishing is that it is a LH and I just happen to be of that noble orientation. It is chambered in .300 Win Mag which is not so fortunate. The original designers apparently did not take into account the considerable increase in recoil energy of a .300 magnum, so they did not appropriately beef up the thickness of the wrist area. This design flaw commonly results in the stock cracking where the rear receiver tang is bedded. My rifle is afflicted with this malady. I repaired the crack, and it is holding well, but I am worried that even even though the wrist of the stock is now stronger, it will continue to have issues in this area. Since I already have another excellent rifle in .300 Win Mag, I would like to re-chamber/re-barrel the Sako in a caliber which I currently do not own, .30-06. I know both of these calibers fall into the long action category, but I don't know if the differences in bolt face diameters (.470 +/- for .30-06 and .540 +/- for .300 Win Mag) preclude this particular alteration. I am hoping there is someone reading this thread with more expertise than very rudimentary knowledge in this area, and can/will graciously me figure this out.

Thanks,
ICONDUCT

Last edited:
I am fortunate enough to have found a 1984-ish Sako L61R Finnbear in mint condition. Even more astonishing is that it is a LH and I just happen to be of that noble orientation. It is chambered in .300 Win Mag which is not so fortunate. The original designers apparently did not take into account the considerable increase in recoil energy of a .300 magnum, so they did not appropriately beef up the thickness of the wrist area. This design flaw commonly results in the stock cracking where the rear receiver tang is bedded. My rifle is afflicted with this malady. I repaired the crack, and it is holding well, but I am worried that even even though the wrist of the stock is now stronger, it will continue to have issues in this area. Since I already have another excellent rifle in .300 Win Mag, I would like to re-chamber/re-barrel the Sako in a caliber which I currently do not own, .30-06. I know both of these calibers fall into the long action category, but I don't know if the differences in bolt face diameters (.470 +/- for .30-06 and .540 +/- for .300 Win Mag) preclude this particular alteration. I am hoping there is someone reading this thread with more expertise than very rudimentary knowledge in this area, and can/will graciously me figure this out.

Thanks,
ICONDUCT

There are many things that would have to be changed and the cost would approach the value of the rifle.

Even though you already have another 300 WM, I would recommend a good muzzle brake for the Sako.

The best brake should bring the recoil down from around 26.4 ft/lbs of recoil, To 10.1 ft/lbs of recoil(Much less than a 30/06 without a brake).

This should solve the stock problem and would be easier and much cheaper. If you would like more details on the changes required to convert from 300 WM to 30/06, post or pm me and I will go into detail.

J E CUSTOM

J E CUSTOM

A simpler solution is to refer to the reduced loads featuring H-4895 for your powder selection and bullet combination. Hodgdon suggests and has tested reduced loads for many cartridges when H-4895 is used. Lower velocities achieved with reduced loads will reduce the recoil while approximating cartridges with lesser capacity.

Since at one time I owned a Sako Finnbear L61 in 7 MM Rem Mag. and a Sako Forester in 243 Win. here is a thought. There would be modification to the bolt face, extractor and possibly modification to the Ejector and Ejector slot, if mechanically possible and expensive. What I would think more about is the magazine rails and follower not handling the 30-06 size case. Modify a classic rifle, a new barrel, bolt work, Spend lots of money. And then only have a dependable single shot 30-06. Would be a bad thought. Adding metal to the rails would be a near impossible feat if needed. I would suggest an ad on the internet to a left handed shooter with a 30-06 Sako who wants to go 300 WM Sako and trade rifles. Just thought material before you dive in.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.