Range Report: DPMS GII Bull

It is the syrac ordinance Gen II click adjustable gas block.

Syrac Ordnance Gen II Click-Adjustable Gas Block AR-15 LR-308 Bull

142344.jpg

It was super easy to install and adjust. Just adjust it down until it doesn't cycle any more, then back it off two clicks. I really like the feel of the positive clicks and the fact that it won't back out with use like some of the other adjustable gas blocks out there.

I've had a G2 DPMS Recon for two years now. ( 16" stainless match barrel ). I have a Leupold VX-6 Firedot illuminated 1-6x scope on it. The great things about the G2 is : it's the first .308 AR that actually feeds and ejects; its light - everyone that picks it up thinks it's a 5.56.; with the exception of the BCG, charging handle, and receiver shells just about any AR part will fit it. For example, I put a standard AR Geisselle trigger in it, I put a Standard AR Nordic Components extended modular free float barrel tube on it; I put a BCM gunfighter standard AR pistol grip on it; I put a standard AR Magpul CTR rear stock on it. That is very cool compared to your standard Armalite AR-10 or first gen large frame 7.62 AR receiver design.

One VERY important note about this gun: a tremendous amount of engineering and field testing went into the receiver and BCG design. The bolt carrier is a one piece CNC machined monolithic design, and the bolt extractor and ejector parts are very trick unique pieces. Most ARs do well run with a wet BCG. Not the DPMS Gen2. I put a film of lithium grease on the charging handle rail and the BCG rails, and 2 drops of lube in the cam pin slot. That's it. The other point is to use standard DPMS metal magazines - not the plastic PMAGS. If you do that, you should NOT have any feed or eject issues provided your ammo is SAMMI spec. I've shot thousands of round of surplus Lake City M80 ball, Hornady TAP 168 gr Amax, Federal Gold Match Sierra 168 - complete and total reliability without messing around with the gas system.
ax0klg.jpg

I ordered my DPMS G2 Recon for $1400 and only waited 2 weeks for it. The barrel is a very high quality SS match grade piece according to DPMS - the head spacing, feed ramps, and bolt lugs are fairly "tight" as far as semi-autos go. It shoots very, very tight groups for a semi - with good technique its a sub - or par MOA gun. At 6x I can reach out with confidence at 500 yards with a 180 grain TTSX, 41 grains of AR Comp, and Lapua brass and drop a big hog in two steps. At 1x, with both eyes open Binden Aiming Concept CQC style at 10 yards I can dump a 20 round mag as fast as I can pull the trigger into a row of full soda cans. So, this can be great fun.

In terms of recoil - it's less than I originally thought... It doesn't "recoil" but instead pushes against you like a 45ACP and no muzzle " flip" , just a slight manageable muzzle move about an inch towards 2 o'clock. If you have an athletic stance and keep your right elbow tucked against your side and supporting most of the gun weight go ahead and pull the trigger as fast as you can at CQB distances. Way cool.

The receiver length is about halfway between a .223 AR and the Gen 1 large frame .308. It's very compact in there - you have to remove the safety assembly in order to change the trigger group. I've noticed a lot of galling on the charging handle so I keep it greased, and the lack of a proper aftermarket charging handle means your only alternative is a Badger Ordnance latch - barely adequate with gloves and a scope.

In terms of building a Gen 2 from scratch ( provided DPMS would sell you the receiver and BCG which I doubt ) - I've looked at the economics and IMHO you would be better served buying the Gen2 model nearest to your end game fantasy and modding it as your pace and economics permit.

I'm personally not sure that a Krieger barrel and a Nightforce BEAST scope gets me much.

Personally, I built mine out to be a 3-gun style rifle rfle with balls. Humane one-step killing power at 500 yards and 10 yard CQB capability. It's not the perfect compromise but I love it.

Do you have any pictures of the 100 yd. groups that you shot? I'm sure we would like to see them. gun) - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am brand new here. I happened to run across this post today about the dpms g2 cratering the primers. I have a dpms g2 recon that I bought last year. I called dpms last year about the cratering problem and didn't get too far. Seeing your post, I sent dpms an email today and I am sending it to them tomorrow for repair. I hope it goes as well as mtwarych rifle. Did they say what they did to repair your rifle?
Thanks
Novamark

The adjustable gas block made a huge difference in my rifle. It might be worth checking out.

The adjustable gas block made a huge difference in my rifle. It might be worth checking out.

I have the DPMS LR338 Federal and like the way it shoot. I have only used factory ammo so far and no brass issues. I am ready to reload and have some AA2230 powder and Barnes 160gr TTSX bullets to start with. Which of these primers that I have on hand would be the best to use the CCI 200 or 250 and the Federal 215? My rifle is 3 years old. Would it be a good idea to get a adjustable gas block for it?

Just an update on my DPMS G2 recon. I sent my gun in for warranty repair for cratered primers and 2 extractor marks on the head of the cases. It has been at DPMS repair facility for just about 2 months waiting for parts from DPMS.

Just an update on my DPMS G2 recon. I sent my gun in for warranty repair for cratered primers and 2 extractor marks on the head of the cases. It has been at DPMS repair facility for just about 2 months waiting for parts from DPMS.

Good luck with getting it back soon in good repair.

joseph

Novamark,
The way of the world is someone asks my opinion about a subject, I say how good that someone did for my son and then that someone craps on the person I gave my opinion to.

I am sorry that DPMS is dragging its feet on you.

[email protected]

Email this person and see if there is something they can do for you.

Just like everyone else, I will be putting an adjustable gas block on my and my sons DPMS.

Good luck.

Novamark,
After ready this thread and many others on other threads. All the answers coming back say by putting an adjustable gas block on, tune it to your weapon should shoot smoother and the bolt won't beat up your brass.

I will install one tomorrow and let you know what happened.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.