RAMSHOT LRT POWDER

Ramshot powders are double base powders. So they are subject temp changes. Can be as much as 1+fps per degree. The real problem is depending on when you develop your load. If in cold weather and a hot load. It will become a hotter load in hot weather. I changed to H type powders. Lost a 100fps, but never had that problem again. I hunt in weather from 105+ to -20. So there can be swing of 120fps in velocity. 500yds or under probable won't be a big thing, but at extend range it will. I would rather know that my bullets is going where I placed it, and not wonder if I am going to be high or load.
It's to bad the there is a complete chart on how all the different powder and temp changes it. Hodgdon does have a limited chart on effects on temp, but it is limited, but it helps.
I understand it can very from gun/load to another. I was just curious how bad the swing was and if it was predictable.

I understand it can very from gun/load to another. I was just curious how bad the swing was and if it was predictable.
That I don't know. I just know that double based powers are more subject to heat changes. This is what I have and I have read more on how the single and double base powder react to temp.
If you are having good luck with that a good thing. Just test it in different weather to be sure how it does. It maybe that in colder weather you can add a little more powder or reduce it in hotter weather.
I'll see if I can't dig up some more info. I know I can show how the velocity can change your impact at longer ranges.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 122
Here is some more data on temp sensitivity for different powders.

I would expect that LRT would be comparable to Magpro or Ramshot Magnum and the VV N series powders.

These all range from about 0.87 fps per degree of temp change to
a little over 1 fps per degree of temp change.

My guess is LRT is right in that range.

See attachments, LRT is too new to be included, so someone's actual data would be nice.

Attachments

• powder temp sensitivity and burn rate.PNG
    powder temp sensitivity and burn rate.PNG
    72.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Powder Temp Sensitivity.PNG
    Powder Temp Sensitivity.PNG
    105.6 KB · Views: 112
That I don't know. I just know that double based powers are more subject to heat changes. This is what I have and I have read more on how the single and double base powder react to temp.
If you are having good luck with that a good thing. Just test it in different weather to be sure how it does. It maybe that in colder weather you can add a little more powder or reduce it in hotter weather.
I'll see if I can't dig up some more info. I know I can show how the velocity can change your impact at longer ranges.
I'm not using it, just doing some research on it to see if I could utilize it. I'm guessing it may not be useable for me because my weather can be in the negatives in the fall and 80s in the spring. I understand how velocity changes, change impact at farther distance from doing ladder tests.

I have a few pounds of LRT last year. No knowing what the powder problem was going to come out. N170 is a single based powder and I have been looking at it for sometime now. I am waiting for other powders to show and get it all one time. Rather than get a pound or two, plus pay all that shipping and Hazmat charges. I hate to get 8lbs and find out I don't like it or it doesn't work for me having 6 to 7 pounds remaining.

I have a few pounds of LRT last year. No knowing what the powder problem was going to come out. N170 is a single based powder and I have been looking at it for sometime now. I am waiting for other powders to show and get it all one time. Rather than get a pound or two, plus pay all that shipping and Hazmat charges. I hate to get 8lbs and find out I don't like it or it doesn't work for me having 6 to 7 pounds remaining.
I had been playing with it with the 225 ELD Match, length 3.706,load was 87-88 ,I would get all kinds of results, most were a mixed bag was using Hornady brass as when I bought the rifle there was no unprimed available,..... so I bought 5 boxes of 225 Hornady match, did not live up to the hype, only shot a dozen to sight in new scope. Went home pulled bullets ,dumped powder and deprimed cases, loaded rounds up ,over the next 3 months went through 3#'s of powder and 100+ bullets beside the ones I pulled. At first I thought I had maybe deformed the bullet by using the rcbs by pulling them in the press. Through one hell of a lot of frustration I finally found some Lapua brass 188.00 per 100, bought 2 boxes,.... Walla groups shrank to 1/2 " and under, many in the same hole then 1/4 away for the 3rd shot. Velocity was 2875 for 87.0 with 215 mag. match s.d. went from 45.6 on a average to 6.0, I had asked many shooters some loved Hornady brass some hated it. A guy at the range said save the Hornady for working up loads , I had to be trim the Hornady brass every time, the Lapua is on the 3 round and no need to trim. The Hornady loads would range from 2930 to 2855for 3 shot groups some would go 2877,2876 and 2750, I was starting to wander if I had been suckered again by all the hype. Pete

We tried the LRT last weekend.

MK2010 clone suppressed. OFB FC-15 300 Win Mag from MK248 Mod0 ammo. FGMM 215M. 210 Berger. 86.5 LRT. Velocity 3048-3052 range recorded by MS V3.

On 1000 yard target camera yielded this 3 cold bore shots spaced out to let barrel get back to ambient it was in the 40s that morning.
20221120_115159.jpg

Did not try for center, easier for camera to resolve, just checking elevation spread at 1000 yards. The picture taken is what the tablet shows.

I also bought some 160 and 165 for testing. I do think 170 would work? I might not have enough capacity?