Rams...Is this the right place for this?...Sucess!

Mom should enjoy Corpus Christi- spent some time there after Nam in some delicate places with the dog. Liked the area but not the duty, like Sands N.M. Did do some fishing while there and drinking too. Enjoy your birthday hunt !!!!!

Great hunt for kids! I've taken my sons and my nephew on ram hunts in Texas and they are good to eat despite what you hear. I suggest getting what I think they called barbeque cuts. Essentially it's just the spine cross sectioned with backstrap and tenderloin still attached. They are delicious. Usually eat it for dinner day of the hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 88
So I guess Rams are in the sheep family right?!

My son and I made our 2nd trip to Hog Haven in Kenna, WV for rams this time. (First time was hog hunt)
Check out that hunt here: Hog Hunt

Same accommodations for this hunt, whole family went down cabin is big enough for my wife and daughter to hang out while we are out.

Perfect day. 25° in the morning working up to 50° high. Josh(Owner and Guide) starts day about 8am. Into the buggy and through the gate. Sun was out as we sought out our Rams(only 2 on property). After some creeping around Josh stops the buggy to check around a blind spot with out blowing it by riding right past them. "They are up there" he said. Ok game on! Get everybody loaded up and ready to move. We creep along lower hill out of sight to get better and angle. And move about 60 yards around the side of hill through and over thick stuff until we are coming right up in front of them about 75 yards uphill shot from 15 yards into wood line. As soon as we crest of hill to spot them its time to set up on the sticks. My son goes first. Set up a few positive words from Dad(me) and the guide and crack. RAM DOWN. My ram does 360 to see what could be going on I quickly high five and fist bump as i get on sticks...wait for a decent broad side shot. BOOM! 2nd ram down. Within 10ft of each other.
View attachment 345930
His Texas Dall Ram
View attachment 345931
My Corsican
View attachment 345932
View attachment 345933
Rifles:
His, Walmart 700 Youth 243 Win. Stock painted, KRG knob, Burris Signature 2-10 E3 MOA scope. Fiberglass resin added to forend to eliminate flex. 90gr ELD-X
Mine, Winchester Model 70, 270 WSM Bushnell Banner 3-9. 130gr SST
What's a trip like that cost ?

Rams start at $475 and up from there(market is crazy just call him) He can get anything you are looking for up to world class. Check out his Facebook page, he just posted a monster ram. Cabin is affordable $100 a night fully equipped. Sleeps 4 adults with a loft my son chooses to sleep in. Full kitchen and full bath hot shower. 30 yards from the gate. My son's and I's rams were $575 by like i said he can put you on whatever you want to spend.

Will do. Ram chili in the crock pot today. Flash snow storm in the mid Atlantic. Meat was processed removing most of not all fat from ram. Then large hole grind. The ground pork mixed in, 80% ram 20% pork then reground with small hole plate. Browned meat with no smell or odor. Completely drained. Then added to standard boiler maker chili recipe. Results and reviews at dinner time today.

Chili was a big hit! Even my daughter ate it and she's normally the final holdout. I think just the right processing and removing all the fat from meat prior was key. Cutting with pork I'm sure didnt hurt. The tenderloin will be the true test. That was cubed for curry. So sear on all sides then in curry sauce to slow cook and absorb flavor. It will all go to use! Guide said to try jerk with ground stuff too so may use some for that but just had perfect chili weather this weekend.

Second round of chili better than the first. Added 1lb sausage from his hog he got from Hog Haven. In the chili pot I don't see anyone knowing its ram in there. Its like painting the pain is in the prep, my dad and I put the time in on the front end removing fat. But zero smell even when browning the meat. Haven't tried the tenderloins yet in curry sauce.

We shot an Angoran Goat and a Black Hawaiian one year. They were "edible", but not much more than that unless you drowned the flavor out. We marinated it for 24 hours and slow cooked it in a crock pot like green chili, and red chili each time. Covered most of the flavor up, so it was not bad. We did a birria recipe once too that was decent.

Any idea on your muzzle velocity for the 90 grain eld-x? Curious to hear how you liked it. Got a load in my 6/45 doing right at 2600 fps.

Congrats on a fun outing.