Questions about Remington 700 BDLs

Oh great, have exact same stock sitting on shelf in basement but for the left side of the brain. I have been thinking of pillars, cerakote colors, etc.

Often wondered how CO2 blasting would remove the deep lacquer finish.

I used Tung Oil to refinish my stocks.It takes days to do it.I hung the stock by the sling stud.With Tung Oil on a piece of cheese cloth,just wipe the stock down and let it dry well between coats.The more coats you put on it the better.It's really very easy to do,just takes time.The Tung Oil works great on those ebony tips too.I had several stocks that the finish was coming off.I removed the finish,wiped on several coats of Tung Oil and it looks new.

Amazing!
Not my thing but, it's unique and hopefully just what you wanted!!!
Curious? Was it starting to flake? I would have guessed it would require a pick axe and a trenching spade to just scrape it off! Maybe you're on to something, there!
Nope, just started with a utility knife blade and worked down. Took me a few hours of work but it wasn't hard to do at all.

Oh great, have exact same stock sitting on shelf in basement but for the left side of the brain. I have been thinking of pillars, cerakote colors, etc.

Often wondered how CO2 blasting would remove the deep lacquer finish.
My gunsmith buddy recommended the utility knife method, but he prefers sandblasting/garnet blasting instead. That's how he removes all the finish from ones he's sent.

Last edited:
You might consider/investigate Permalyn finish. It is as easy to apply as an oil finish, can be applied to to taste(rubbed or gloss), and, most importantly since it is both oil and polymer based, it is very scratch, wear and water/moisture resistant. The best of both types of finish. I have used it on rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders and been very pleased with the results.

It is not lacquer; it is a 2-part epoxy developed by DuPont for Remington in the 1960s. Most paint removers do nothing to remove it. A heat gun and scrapper work best.

STRIP OFF THE FINISH!!!! Good luck with that job!!! I hope you have a LOT of free time!!! I would suggest you find a place that does Dip and Strip for old Funiture. Take it there. Let it sit in the tank for 24 hours, or more ,then go pick it up and go on to step 2 !!

I'm starting a project on a BDL stock I bought off of eBay for cheap. My plan is to strip the finish off, replace the butt plate with a red pachmayr, replace the plastic grip cap and tip with real ebony, and then ebonize ALL OF IT with iron acetate. Curse at me all you want, it's happening. Here's the stock:

View attachment 564617

My questions:
1) Can anyone tell me what material the black cross bolt coverings are?
2) How is the forend tip connected to the rest of the stock?

Thanks

NICE!!

I am actually looking for one for my daughters 7/08 project, mind me asking what "for cheap" means?

I would want to strip it, cut an inch of OAL off, then oil finish.

Thanks

NICE!!

I am actually looking for one for my daughters 7/08 project, mind me asking what "for cheap" means?

I would want to strip it, cut an inch of OAL off, then oil finish.

Thanks
When I got this one it was like 50 bucks. Nowadays you can find one for 100-300. Wide margin. Look for deals and you'll be okay. I'm sure righty ones can be had for cheaper than lefty.

Recent Posts