Question for all

Will.284

I'm 57 years old shot f-class forever, moved to prs loved both but now have moved towards lightweight back pack hunting, with that said I e got a beautiful 6.5 creed Savage almost everything custom weighs 23 lbs I'm thinking of going the light route any suggestions on caliber? I was thinking about a Sherman Short . I live in central Mt and walk a lot

What are you hunting? I'm assuming you reload. Lately I've been trying to get away from custom have to reload for stuff. One day my kids will get my rifles and if it's an oddball deal they will probably try and sell it. Even then it may be hard to get rid of. 6.5 prc or 7 prc. 7 mag, 300 win mag. You can reload but also has good factory support.

I put together a 300 WM with as much carbon as I could a few years back. With the Night Force on it, was about 9.5 pounds. Very shootable at that weight with a brake.

I think that is a good one and done do it all, unless you want to do the same with a bigger cartridge.

I picked up a Christensen in 6.5 PRC and the weight of that one, makes it a grab it all the time rifle at 8 pounds 6 oz scope, sling, and ammo ready to hunt.

In Montana, I'd want a .30 caliber just in case you meet a Griz. I'd do a 300wm or a 300 prc. I'm assuming elk, deer, moose and bear hunting? I have a Seekins Havak 300 prc that is my pack rifle; perfect combo of weight vs shootability for me.

In Montana, I'd want a .30 caliber just in case you meet a Griz. I'd do a 300wm or a 300 prc. I'm assuming elk, deer, moose and bear hunting? I have a Seekins Havak 300 prc that is my pack rifle; perfect combo of weight vs shootability for me.
Short action can't do either

I'm 57 years old shot f-class forever, moved to prs loved both but now have moved towards lightweight back pack hunting, with that said I e got a beautiful 6.5 creed Savage almost everything custom weighs 23 lbs I'm thinking of going the light route any suggestions on caliber? I was thinking about a Sherman Short . I live in central Mt and walk a lot
I have a Howa 1500 Superlite. 4.5# without scope! Used to have to buy ultralight arms to get that light! Notwithstanding, this model is only available in: 243, 6.5CM,7mm-08, & 308. Although you could rebarrel with #1 contour to stay light. But it is clip fed,& not sure if it could feed 6.5x284,or parent 284 Win.? The stock comes from Stocky, s, woven Carbon. D.

I have a Howa 1500 Superlite. 4.5# without scope! Used to have to buy ultralight arms to get that light! Notwithstanding, this model is only available in: 243, 6.5CM,7mm-08, & 308. Although you could rebarrel with #1 contour to stay light. But it is clip fed,& not sure if it could feed 6.5x284,or parent 284 Win.? The stock comes from Stocky, s, woven Carbon. D.
I can send photos if you want.

Attachments

• 20240125_090533.jpg
    20240125_090533.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 30
I am a tad older than you, and I have a better appreciation of lighter rifles these days. My average LR rifle is in the 12 Lbs. Below is my .30 Gibbs and is my lightest at the moment.
1714738625418.jpeg
1714738591007.jpeg

1714738695642.jpeg

(https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/)

I ve been looking at the 7mm-08 lately. I'll check out the Howa as I don't have one yet . Although I made a mistake and called Defiance yesterday and the kid I talked to was awesome, dang it this could be expensive!!