Puzzle pieces

kopcicle

CF2_stock.jpg
Because https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ has it too cheap to be ignored.

Screenshot (18).png
Because the BSA CF2 action simply doesn't get the recognition it
deserves.

Screenshot (27).png
The original trigger is uniquely adjustable and of very good quality to begin with but since the set trigger is available although somewhat rare stateside, why not?

Screenshot (24).png
Why the factory rifles weren't bedded is beyond me so pillar and full bed will be in order. It would be asking a lot from the "dry" action screws to keep a varmint heavy or bull barrel supported.

Screenshot (23).png
As much as the CF2 bolt resembles its Mauser ancestor it isn't controlled feed. The full length guide is just that, a guide. For that it works well. My two sporting rifles in this pattern needed very little "slicking up" to operate smoothly.

Screenshot (26).png
A borrowed photo from Thames valley guns. This is where I'm headed. This is a varmint contour in 222 Remington. I'll be installing either a 358 Winchester or 277-08 for testing purposes. Although both chamberings will eventually end up in AR-.308 I just wanted to eliminate all the moving bits of a gas gun from testing. Who knows, I may even leave it in 358 when I'm done. There is nothing wrong with a 35 bore that is only 32 inches over line of sight on the way to 600 yards.

If you sight the 358 at 14.8″ high at 100 yards, it will be zeroed for 600 yards. It's 32.5 inches over line of sight at 330 yards. It never quite goes subsonic at 600 yards and still carries 1,400 Ft/Lbs of energy.

The 277-08 is a chapter if not a book in itself. I'll save that for another time.

Unertl.jpg
I'm picking on the Unertl for two reasons. One, it fits the period of the build somewhat. Two, I happen to have one laying around.

Some of the reasons for the build are ...
I have the Unertl.
The wood is dirt cheap. I'm no stranger to finely finished wood.
A member here has the trigger.
I have access to a 4th axis and CNC so the spare bolt will get pretty. (jeweled or engine turned take your pick)
There are several donor rifles on the horizon. Two of them have the original express sights that my scoped sporter .270 does not. That's at least $100 I don't have to spend there.
Without the glass and with micrometer iron sights it would make for an interesting Palma rifle. Simply add the hook to the but plate and palm rest. Chamber for .308 of course.
Two of the donor rifles are 30-06. I have no immediate use for the 30-06 barrel so I can sell it off. The .270 rifle is a conundrum. I don't need another .270 barrel for the sporter but I'd be inclined to keep it.
Accessorized with dies, tools and other bits it will make an interesting heirloom once fit to a felt lined, leather clad box in the Olde English tradition.

Reasons why not ...
Old
Heavy
Parts availability
Not quite a bench rest rifle in any sanctioned rule book.
Why not a 700?
The Unertl is an antique can of worms
277-08
Probably 30 more reasons to un-fudd myself and just build another black rifle.

Welcome to the cesspool of my imagination. Comment, derision, suggestions, insults other than mom jokes ( that rifle makes your mom look skinny), constructive criticism, and even ignoring the post completely are welcome.

I was waiting for paint to dry (literally) and thought I'd post something fun.

Photo credits to

Last edited: