PSE TAC 15 crossbow - first range outing

Len, just received my Tac15 today. Thanks! Did you have to paper tune yours? If so would you mind describing your procedure? thanks in advance.

Among other things he told me they that they sometimes shoot groups using the same arrow repeatedly.
Good advice. I recently got a set of three and a set of six TAC 15 Radial Crossweave Arrows. I was surprised to find 1 out of the six to be heavier, yet match up with the weight of 2 of three in the other set in weight (grains). The 3rd of the three could not be measured because two vanes had been damaged in shipping (then stripped to use as a bare shaft).

I did a rough drop test this morning at the range. It needs to be verified again in the field.
You wouldn't happen to have some fps chrono data for the TAC 15 at "Arrow Rest", 50-yards or 100-yards or XX-yards using 100 grain points?

Thanks in advance.

No, only the 406 fps at 5 ft with the field tip.
Okie dokie, thanks.

After doing some paper tuning at 4 & 8 yards, and rough sighting in at 15 yards; I tried some speeds tests with three different field points at 15 yards.
Looks like I have either a Chrono that needs calibration or a TAC-15 that is not setup correctly.

085g = 392 fps (PSE factory field tip)
100g = 387 fps
125g = 377 fps

343g = Arrows with knocks and fletching (minus field tips)

428g = 392 fps (085g field)
443g = 387 fps (100g field)
468g = 377 fps (125g field)

My understanding - people were getting 400+ fps with 100g field points... :cool:

Also found I have two poorly (loose or came loose) fletched arrows from the factory. Now, I have to check the other six. The joys of testing...

Last edited:
I found some of the vanes came loose at the leading edge when shot. I learned to take a small fingernaill scissors and pre-trim the leading edges of all vales that had any unnecessary height on their leading edges. Ditto for any that had or would tear loose slightly. If a small tear I could trim off the small loose edge and the arrow would then fly normally...I think.

428g = 392 fps (085g field)
443g = 387 fps (100g field)
468g = 377 fps (125g field)

My understanding - people were getting 400+ fps with 100g field points...
Saw where another person who has lots of experience with his TAC 15 is getting the same number as I got above with 100g field tip.
" I have 100 grain tips in mine and a chronoed at 387fps."

Also came across the following, which seems questionable unless the person upped the draw weight.
"i own a tac 15i i got 412.5 fps with a 100 grain field point instead of the 85 that comes with it..."

Very confusing as to what one should expect from the TAC 15 using normal 100g or 125g hunting weights. lightbulb Time to call PSE and ask them. They should have a plenty of data on FPS for various tip weights and at some common distances.

Very confusing as to what one should expect from the TAC 15 using normal 100g or 125g hunting weights.

How will you use the accurate data, why is it important to know, are you feeding it into a ballistics program, if so which one? I have not found a program that seems like it can deal accurately with such low speeds and BC's,

How will you use the accurate data, why is it important to know, are you feeding it into a ballistics program, if so which one? I have not found a program that seems like it can deal accurately with such low speeds and BC's,
Hello Len
My plan is to feed the data into a ballistics program that is free for the downloading, but is primarily meant for Hawke scopes.
{ Hawke Sport Optics : Ballistic Reticle Calculator BRC }

The Hawke BRC program compensates for the slow down of a projectile (akin to Ballistic Coefficient) that Hawke's program calls "Estimated Deterioration value". The program comes with some built-in Estimated Deterioration values, for a rough start. The program lets you calculate your own Estimated Deterioration value using the FPS values at given XX yards and YY yards. The program also lets you calculate your own Estimated Deterioration value by entering the actual POI at a distance of 2 times the yardage the scope is zeroed at. However, this calculation requires the Muzzle FPS be known too.

As you can see, to properly setup and use the program, you really need to know the FPS of your X-Bow fairly accurately (+/- 0.5%?). Once you have the correct values, the program can help you select the yardage you want to zero too and then the Magnification (which equates to adjusting the scope for FPS) of the various Hawke scopes.
For example: Currently, I am looking at Zeroing my Hawke XB30 Scope at 30 yards, which will give upper post's bottom of 15 yards, cross-hairs at 30 yards, 1st + down of 45 yards, 2nd + down of 60 yards, 3rd + down of 75 yards, and bottom post's top of 90 yards.

Hope that all makes sense and explains my desire for accurate FPS.

I have that program on my computer at home. I'll have to give it another try with your pointers. Thanks.

UPDATE - I got back at the range this afternoon as the weather improved. There was still some crosswind but not much. Mostly a headwind as to direction.

I shot groups at 40, 50 and 60 yards. From a bench with front bag, rear unsupported. Notice that only one of the groups had any significant vertical. That one shot at 60 yards was a shocker. Imagine being shocked by an extra, measly ONE INCH of vertical with an arrow at 60 yards.

After I get my drops worked out and get into practice mode, I will have to shoot at separate dots for ranges under 70 yards so I don't waste arrows by hitting them in a tight group. Can you even imagine that kind of a problem in archery practice at those distances? :)

The PSE TAC 15 crossbow is everything that I hoped for in accuracy potential. I will install an anti-cant scope level and an ACI (for uphill/downhill) before I go out again. Since I used various aiming points nothing can be told about drop by viewing these photos. I'll summarize the drop from 20 out to 100 yards at some future point in my testing.

I'll be consulting with Bryan Litz, the Berger Bullets' ballistician, about how to go about estimating a BC from my drops and from chronographed velocity changes. Then I can play around with drop tables generated by a ballistics program in order to correct for altitude and temperature out in the mountains this fall.

I know it sounds crazy to be talking about ballistics programs when shooting an arrow but this PSE TAC 15 is unbelievable. I hope to try for a deer out to 100 yards if the drops and accuracy testing continues to go well as I stretch the target distances.

tac-15-4groups.jpg

Hi Len - do you have any suggerstion on these - do you sell these ??" You mentioned this in initial post on TAC 15 -I will install an anti-cant scope level and an ACI (for uphill/downhill) before I go out again" plus I would like to buy an extra crank for my TAC 15 - hate to go on huting trip with out extra - plus I need advice on where to find the anti- cant scope level you listed in original post on TAC 15 - thanks Bernie2525

Bernie

I sell levels and ACI's in my LRH Gear Shop. You need to match the scope tube diameter when ordering the level. 30mm or 1 inch. Same with the mounting system for the ACI.

As a cheap crank backup, consider a socket wrench, You'll probably never need it anyway.:)

Bernie

I sell levels and ACI's in my LRH Gear Shop. You need to match the scope tube diameter when ordering the level. 30mm or 1 inch. Same with the mounting system for the ACI.

As a cheap crank backup, consider a socket wrench, You'll probably never need it anyway.:)

I am using the scope you recommended for TAC 15 -the air rifle scope isn't that 1 inch

I had a operation on left hand sept and until now could not shoot - - however in Louisiana - to hot to hunt till about now. - had bow for 4 months and just took out of box and putting scope on this wekend. I did not see levels in GEAR SHOP ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.