Proud Papa

StrutNut

Well,

After 3 years of sitting with my son in blinds and on tree stands my son felt he was wanting to go on his own. Now, I know 3 years seems to be a lot but with his football schedule it was really more like 4-5 days a year bow hunting and and about the same gun/blackpowder hunting. Im not going to lie, we had terrible luck with a bow. We had not even had 1 deer encounter while on stand. Its sadly becoming more common here in MN. He did get his first deer last year slug hunting. It was a fawn but he was more than happy with it. Well, back to the bowhunt. He was on his own in WI. First morning he passed on a fawn at 35 yards knowing he is only comfortable out to 30 yards. His next encounter was calling in a pair of fawns and got lucky enough to draw back without either seeing him. He said the fawn ducked his shot and trotted off with the other. I was impressed on his first sit alone he was able to draw back undetected. He than texted me with 15 minutes of shooting time saying he can no longer see his sites and felt he should leave the stand as he didnt want to make a bad shot. Wow, so impressed. On my sons first solo hunt he made several good decisions as to shoot/no shoot, was able to call in several deer with his grunt call and was able to draw undetected. He said the hunt was awesome just seeing the deer in the wild browsing and doing their thing. I think he is on the right track for a future bowhunter!

Thanks for sharing! Its always exciting taking kids out hunting.

Well,

Weekend two. Enough said!

Attachments

• Josh.jpg
    Josh.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.