"propreitary" powders... :o

I've already described a situation wherein someone following the OPs instructions could most definately get hurt, or killed; the 7828 and 7mm STW example I cited earlier. To recap this one, when the 7mm STW was introduced, the factory ammo was being loaded with a very slow burning powder (actually, several, I'm sure) that would later be marketed as IMR7828. At the time of the cartridges intro, the slowest burning IMR powder available was the venerable IMR4831, the standard for magnum loads for the past 20 years. Using the OPs method, the reloader would breakdown a factory round and find an unknown extruded tubular powder, that by all appearances was most likely IMR4831. Given the further "test" of smelling it (burned or unburned, and remember, they are chemically virtually identical), it does indeed appear to be IMR4831. A logical assumption, especially for one who pooh-poohs the existance of "proprietary powders", and is convinced that the only powders extant are those he can buy at the local gunshop. Given the paucity of reloading data for the new cartridge, and his prediliction towards believing that factory rounds are loaded to absolute firewall pressures, it's not much of a leap to see him trying to duplicate factory velocities with what is in reality a significantly faster powder. You're "starting" loads could most definately be well above proof load levels. Whether or not the gun (and shooter) survives now becomes a matter of luck. Is that clear?

Given the numbers of new cartridges coming onto the market in the past few years (RUMs, SAUMs WSMs, WSSMs, etc.), I can pretty well guarantee you that many of these are using proprietary blends that aren't available to the general reloading public yet. They may eventually be added to a makers line (as IMR7828 eventually was), or they may remain proprietary numbers if the powder maker doesn't see a viable commercial success in releasing them. Again, the point is, you don't know one way or the other.

Also, the very notion that you can duplicate factory ammo is something of a misnomer. You mentioned Federal's Gold Medal Match 308 ammo, and your attempts to duplicate this combo. You also (as I recall) mentioned their use of IMR4064. I can name another maker that has a virtually identical load, except that they've used IMR3031. Again, two very different loadings, in which the charge weights can be dangerous if inadvertantly interchanged. The problem here is that most factory loads don't use a single powder, but several different powders, to afford the plants some flexibility in case the primary powder isn't available. If a powder will qualify in terms of pressure, velocity, accuracy, port pressure (in some cases), temperature reaction variations, etc., it can be used for that ammo. You'd mentioned Lake City's use of RL-15, and yes, that is indeed what they are currently using. That will no doubt change if ATK loses the next contract bid. In the time I've dealt with them, the M118, M852 and M118LR have been loaded with IMR4895, WC-750 and RL-15, depending on who the contractor was that was running the plant at the time. Bottom line is, it had to give 2580 fps @ 78ft, have maximum pressures within govt. specs, the correct port pressure, acceptable temperature variation and deliver the accuracy standard they require. Beyond that, if it meets the specs, it can be used. You'll again note that some of these are are cannister grade powders, and some aren't. But again, could easily be misidentified by someone assuming that it's the same stuff available at the local gunshop.

The assumption that reloaders are all prudent (or knowledgable) enough to avoid making such mistakes, is a very dangerous one. I've dealt with more than enough minor mishaps and a few truly catastrophic failures, attributed to someone who didn't know any better doing something that seemed "logical" at the time. Any time you hear yourself making the statement, "well, everyone knows . . .", think again; they don't. I had a guy who called our tech line once to ask why we didn't include the neccesary instructions about how to make the powder "fit" the case properly. Seems he was loading a 300 Weatherby, and immediately ran into a compressed charge situation. Actually, the max load (where far too many reloaders start) listed in the manual wouldn't fit in the case when he tried to dump the powder. Thinking about it a bit, he remembered that his wife had a mortar and pestle down in the kitchen. Taking the powder he intended to use, he ground the kernals into something resembling talcum powder. Reweighing the charge, he now found that the same weight only filled about half the case; plenty of room to spare. He ground up some powder, and loaded the cases. Before heading to the range, (thankfully) he called us to ask why we didn't include the instructions about grinding the powder in the reloading data. That was an absolute disaster averted by a simple phone call, but the assumptions he made about the powder were actually perfectly logical to a new reloader who didn't understand how smokeless powders work, the methods of controlling their burning rate, or how powder speed determines suitability in a given loading. Like I said, if you're going to give instructions to an audience, you have to think about how it's being received by that audience; to include a rank amatuer for whom what you think is "obvious', isn't. Factor in things you think you know that are wrong to begin with, and you see where I'm headed?

Dan -

I don't have a problem with what you're asking people to do. i.e....ultimately refer to published load data.

Where the danger lies is that you put forth some very wrong ideas about factory ammo; proprietary vs cannister powders; and an individual's ability to identify powders by sight and smell.

The experts weighed in vehemently on all that and you have yet to admit that you were completely wrong or out of line to promote those bad and incorrect ideas.

You can debate all you want whether the "proprietary blends" are better than cannister grade. But, they are different and you can't tell what's what by weight, feel, sight, taste, or smell.

It's all great if a 13yo indicates he understands safe loading procedures, so long as he always refers to published load data and follows safe loading procedures.

But the minute that he gets the notion he can identify powders and understand properties by sight or smell, then somebody's going to get hurt.

How 'bout it Riley?
Yes, or No... Do you agree with Dan that you can reasonably identify powders by weight, sight, and/or smell?

-- richard
Yes, but if using sight to try to identify a powder i would only feel confident in my decision if a compared them using a microscope.

I think that you can identify most powders by weight, sight, and sometimes smell. If it is a stick powder i personaly would have a much better chance of identifing it than if it was a ball powder (i have never loaded with a ball powder).

I can tell the difference between H1000 and Retumbo by the smell but if you pull a factory round and smell the powder, what are the chances that you are going to have that exact powder on hand to compare or that the smell is individual to one particular powder.

If you consult a reloading manual and you have a VERY large knowledge and understanding of powders (unlike me) and the powder from the pulled case resembles the powder you think it is exactly as far as smell, weight, sight, and the burn rate sounds right for the particular cartridge and bullet weight, then it is safe.

But if the powder that was pulled from the factory cartridge doesn't match the powder that you think it is exactly and/or the burn rate is not right for that cartridge and bullet weight then i would not use the suspected powder to try to duplicate the factory loading.

If a powder with the exact same characteristics is not found then i would say that it is an actual proprietary powder.

Kevin, your example only applies to magnum cartridges that need very slow burning powders that havent yet been available to the public and a suitable powder with the correct burn rate isn't available to us reloaders.

[...] and you have a VERY large knowledge and understanding of powders (unlike me) [...]

Riley -

That's the only true statement in your post.

And, the expert with a VERY large knowledge and understanding of powders says it can't be done with any reasonable degree of certainty/safety.

Regardless of whether you're actually an exceptionally smart 13 yo, or a mischievious 40 yo, you've proven to me that this is without a doubt a very dangerous thread.

It's also a reminder that we all need to be extra careful as to our sources of information as anyone here can promote bad ideas simply by being articulate and/or relentless in their postings. Fortunately, there are a few guys like Kevin around to attempt to keep things from getting out of control.

Be safe!

-- richard

Kevin, your example only applies to magnum cartridges that need very slow burning powders.

Have you read all of the previous posts? Kevin works in the industry and is far more knowledgeable than you or I. He stated that many powder have near identical chemical formulas and can be difficult to tell them apart even using gas chromatography.

There is no way you should ever attempt to tell what a powder is off the smell or look of it. I agree that powders have their own distinct smells but I would never ever trust my nose to tell them apart.

If you're really only 13 years old, please don't be foolish enough to argue with someone like Kevin, who many would consider an expert in the field with decades of experience.

Riely,
No, it can apply to any cartridge, magnum or otherwise. I used that simply as an example, since it seemed rather timely here.

The issue here is identifying powders. As I've pointed out, many of these powders are chemically identical, differing only in burn rate. This can be controlled through a number of means, such as chemistry, deterrent coatings or powder geometry. Powder geometry is measurable, and generally visible. Deterrent coatings and chemistry are not. I can assure you, no one in the industry would ever be foolish enough to try to identify a powder by its appearance. That, in a nut shell, is what this entire thread is about, and why it's such a serious topic.

Riley -

That's the only true statement in your post.

And, the expert with a VERY large knowledge and understanding of powders says it can't be done with any reasonable degree of certainty/safety.

Regardless of whether you're actually an exceptionally smart 13 yo, or a mischievious 40 yo, you've proven to me that this is without a doubt a very dangerous thread.

It's also a reminder that we all need to be extra careful as to our sources of information as anyone here can promote bad ideas simply by being articulate and/or relentless in their postings. Fortunately, there are a few guys like Kevin around to attempt to keep things from getting out of control.

Be safe!

-- richard
Richard, Browninglover1, i am 13 :). Need a picture to prove it?:D

i am not trying to upset someone or say that they do not know what they are talking about because i know VERY little compared to most of you guys on LRH especially in the subject of powder.

I was just saying what i thought was correct. I apoligize for being wrong and i thank everyone who posted on this thread for telling me straight up that i am wrong and correcting me. I respect everyone that posted on this thread as i think that Kevin Thomas, Broz, Boss Hoss, green 788, rscott5028, and Browninglover1 are some of the most knowlegable people on LRH.

Richard, Browninglover1, i am 13 :). Need a picture to prove it?:D

i am not trying to upset someone or say that they do not know what they are talking about because i know VERY little compared to most of you guys on LRH especially in the subject of powder.

I was just saying what i thought was correct. I apoligize for being wrong and i thank everyone who posted on this thread for telling me straight up that i am wrong and correcting me. I respect everyone that posted on this thread as i think that Kevin Thomas, Broz, Boss Hoss, green 788, rscott5028, and Browninglover1 are some of the most knowlegable people on LRH.

I don't claim to be an expert.

But, I do know that there's never, a reason to guess at this stuff. So, stay safe.

-- richard

P.S. I'd post a photo of my supermodel girlfriend. But, my wife might see it.

Rich... to be fair, I don't say we identify powders by sight and smell (and same volume/weight comparisons).

I'm saying you can reasonably hypothesize what powder that "may be" in that factory shell, and use that hypothesis to work from published data and canister powders to see how close you are to right.

You mention "experts" as if I'm some kind of novice... I must respectfully say that all anyone here is espousing is simply what they have been told by the big ammo makers.

What I am saying is that I've found--more often than not--that canister grade powders are what you're going to find in factory ammo. The lot may be off a tad one way or the other, but in general, we find things like Winchester powders in Winchester ammo (W748, W760, W780)... and Alliant powders (these days) in Federal ammo... and Remington tends to like the extrude IMR powders.

This isn't some "off the wall" notion I have come up with--I've been checking factory ammo for years, seeing what's really in there. And the experts you cite have simply been believing the ammo maker's mantra that the powders are all proprietary.

In short... I've "been there and done that." :) ...and I'm telling you what I've found.

Dan

Let's be clear; I am not espousing what I've "been told" by ammo companies; I am relating first-hand experience within the industry. If I was simply relating what I've heard from other, second-hand sources, I would expect this sort of resistance to acknowledging the holes in your "system." But I'm not, I am telling you for a fact that what you're putting out here is flat out wrong.

You're entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts.

WOW---there are just some people that cannot be reached notwithstanding a cavalcade of overwhelming presentations of factual evidence. Just so everyone here will know---Kevin Thomas has quite a bit of responsibility and for him to take as much time out of his day (s) to repeatedly address the what borderlines on what one can only characterize as the lunatic and paranoid fringe of the shooting fraternity is charitable.

The difference between "canister powders" used by all or most commercial manufacturers and the belief by certain people that the US Government blew up the World Trade Centers is very simple. If you choose to believe that powders used by the commercial ammunition companies are "canister" type that can be identified by the by layman and develop your ammunition utilizing touch, feel and smell you may be injured or worse, if you believe in the other well people will just smile and shake their head as they walk by.

For everyone reading this thread---how would you feel if someone sits down next to you at the range and tells you that they pulled some factory ammo and matched the powder and loaded some themselves because they read on the internet where it was completely safe? I would get up post haste and leave after telling the owner of the range.

"For everyone reading this thread---how would you feel if someone sits down next to you at the range and tells you that they pulled some factory ammo and matched the powder and loaded some themselves because they read on the internet where it was completely safe? I would get up post haste and leave after telling the owner of the range."

I would not feel comfortable at all with such a guy. Fortunately, that's nothing like what I've espoused here (and surely you know that)... (?)

Kevin... I will admit to never having taken down any Lapua ammo... so I can't call you wrong there based on my experience, and will yield to what you're saying with regard to that brand.

As for Federal, Winchester, Remington, and Hornady... I stand by what I've written as I am basing that on experience. Of the dozens of factory loads I've dissected from these makers, if proprietary powders were used even half the time, you'd expect that I would have had trouble ID'ing the powder in about half of the cases... but I haven't. When you use the same brass case, with the suspected powder in canister grade, work up from published data... and get pretty much the same velocity and performance, you've nailed it. It's not rocket science--and it's not dangerous to anyone who understands the process.

You know for two guys who were done with this thread about four pages back you've certainly outdone yourselves here since then... :eek:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts