Problem with Match grade .223 24 inch SS barrel

budlight

I just put it together and went to the range. Because of NO chamber clearance compared to my 5.56 and Wylde platforms my full length resized and trimmed reloads would get stuck without the BCG closing all the way.

So anyway I had some boxes of factory bullets and they worked fine. I messed around with both my RCBS and Lee die sets and found that if I over cammed my Rock Crusher press to ensure full length resizing that my bullets were good to go. The problem is that I have thousands of match reloads now that are not usable in this new barrel

I have also heard that new barrels benefit from polishing the lugs.......... What have you guys experienced with .223 match barrels

1new223_zpslbmvbvtz.jpg

I'm guessing, but you might have a chamber that was not bored beep enough. Looks like you have one of the stocks that let you shoot like this.

gun) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also most shooters move their scope forward so the end is lined up above the closed charging handle. This should give you the correct eye relief with your head angled forward instead of backwards????

I wish I could move mine about 1/8" forward.

Attachments

• WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS  2.JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS 2.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 169
I am not a gunsmith but my understanding is that a nato chamber and Wylde are the same the diffrence is in the neck and throat area of the Wylde being the same as .223 rem that being the reason the Wylde can handle NATO ammo but have better accuracy. A .223 rem chamber is tighter than the NATO/Wylde and a .223 rem match grade barrel may very well have an even tighter chamber and neck area which should be good for accuarcy. My buddy has a custom Shillen 22-243 wildcat barrel that has such a tight neck area he doesn't even have to resize his brass just push out the primers and reprime them and reload.

Joseph, my buddy wanted to test his slam fire stock. I said okay, because I needed a bunch of rounds through it and then a cleaning as a breakin before attempting to sight it in.

The conclusion I came to is that I need cases resized to SAAMI spec .223. I'm also considering polishing the chamber. The shells get stuck in so hard that it is a PITA to charging handle/BCG to clear it.

Factory loads works, handloads don't. Try seating the bullet deeper in a handload, or just pull one and see if that will work.

Paint the whole cartridge with a sharpie and load it by hand into the chamber, push it in with your thumb remove it with the bolt carrier group, don't let it drag on the side of the chamber, the tight spot will remove the sharpie. Good luck.

Factory loads works, handloads don't. Try seating the bullet deeper in a handload, or just pull one and see if that will work.

Paint the whole cartridge with a sharpie and load it by hand into the chamber, push it in with your thumb remove it with the bolt carrier group, don't let it drag on the side of the chamber, the tight spot will remove the sharpie. Good luck.

It has nothing to do with bullet seating depth.............. if it was only that simple. This match barrel requires the case to be SAAMI spec. Which I said in my post.

It has nothing to do with bullet seating depth.............. if it was only that simple. This match barrel requires the case to be SAAMI spec. Which I said in my post.

Yup. Use a small base sizer with a considerable shoulder bump and they will all feed flawlessly in your SAAMI minimum chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.