Powder for 308 20"

After taking a break from reloading for 30 something years I'm about to work on a load for a 20" 11 twist 308 I'm shooting suppressed. I have both Varget and IMR4064 on hand. Would you favor one over the other to start with ?
Was going to start with 168 MatchKings and 168 Ballistic tips .
Varget with the 168s. My load is 44 grains in my 20" 11.25" twist barrel. It shoots lights out in this rifle and every rifle I've ever tried it in. As always, do not use this info as your exact load. Start at a safe starting load and work your way up.

It's tough to beat 39.5 gr IMR 3031 for any 165 gr bullet. I had a friend tell me "Don't even bother working up a load. It just shoots great in every 308 I have ever shot."

So, I tried it. He was right. It shoots insanely well in both gas and bolt action guns.

First time I ever just took reload data and just ran with it.

I met people who have worked up loads and actually settled on this exact load.

Varget was fussy with 165's. In fact, I have not been pleased with any Varget load in any gun.

Just now, talking about it, I'm wondering if there is something off about my Varget stock???

About to try out a new to me Springfield Redline 308 with 20" Carbon barrel. I've heard mixed reviews about em.
I'll be trying my loads for my other 20" steel barrel 308.
Hopefully they like the same so I can use it in both.

It's tough to beat 39.5 gr IMR 3031 for any 165 gr bullet. I had a friend tell me "Don't even bother working up a load. It just shoots great in every 308 I have ever shot."

So, I tried it. He was right. It shoots insanely well in both gas and bolt action guns.

First time I ever just took reload data and just ran with it.

I met people who have worked up loads and actually settled on this exact load.

Varget was fussy with 165's. In fact, I have not been pleased with any Varget load in any gun.

Just now, talking about it, I'm wondering if there is something off about my Varget stock???
I've never tried 3031 but have had wonderfully accurate loads with 165-185 grain and Varget.

Everyone has already said what needs to be said. Varget and 4064 are the kings of .308! I have used Varget with 168gr A-Max and 168gr Nosler Custom Competitions for years and it just works. I also have dabbled with SW Precision a little, but I always go back to Varget because I have it.

Now if you want quiet quiet 168gr subsonic rounds, try 6.9gr of Titegroup. It has been so much fun shooting these out of my Remington 700 aac-sd with a CGS Hyperion can. This is still one of my most fun rounds to shoot!

After taking a break from reloading for 30 something years I'm about to work on a load for a 20" 11 twist 308 I'm shooting suppressed. I have both Varget and IMR4064 on hand. Would you favor one over the other to start with ?
Was going to start with 168 MatchKings and 168 Ballistic tips .
Starting load ..41 grains of IMR 4064 same with Varget..will put you on 3rd base... good luck!

Ballistic-X-Export-2020-12-17 19:05:26.937490.png

No doubt Varget and the 4064 s will provide excellent loads in the 308.

Someone mentioned TAC and that's a very good option also. At least TAC is a little more reasonably priced from what I be experienced. I m running it in lieu of Varget in my heavy 223 loads right now!

Recent Posts