Poor Performance From Nosler Varmageddon

Guys!!!
Yes I'm out at the farm as we speak testing. I have been using several different projectiles in different rifles. I made blocks of gelatine!! The results are on camera and are wild, awesome, great fun. Lots of video to edit, some great results and interesting information. Stay tuned! You can find my "bang Splat chat" videos on YouTube from Ozranger and watch those as you wait. Remember to like and subscribe!! See you in a few days!!

Last edited:
W
I have been trying them in my 1-9 284. They have out shot the 162s out to 500yds but in my rifle they seem to open up as they go out. At 800 and 1000yds the 162s out shoot them. I think it is because I am on the ragged edge on the twist. It is the only reason I can think of at this point. I was ready to switch to the 180s until I shot them at 800 and 1000yds....
Whats your twist rate mate?

I have talked to a fair amount of people that shoot a lot of prairie dogs and it seems that the universal favorite for short to medium range 243 bullets is the Nosler 70gr Ballistic Tip. I know that I get one hole accuracy with them.

Once you get into 400 plus yard varmint shooting with a 243 it seems that everyone has their favorites but I have just ordered some 95gr TMK bullets because every TMK I've shot in any caliber has been ridiculously accurate so far and I've read several reviews including a great YouTube review that shows them to have excellent terminal performance on varmints. Here's an example.

By the way... When I consider what I spend on varmint hunting I have decided that to scrimp on bullet cost is ridiculous. Rifles, scopes, fuel, wear and tear on vehicles, etc. is expensive. Why try to save a few cents per bullet? It doesn't make any sense to me.

By the way... When I consider what I spend on varmint hunting I have decided that to scrimp on bullet cost is ridiculous. Rifles, scopes, fuel, wear and tear on vehicles, etc. is expensive. Why try to save a few cents per bullet? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I have never understood the people that spend $2000+ on a rifle and scope, tons of time at the range working up loads, a bunch more on gas, and buy cheap bullets - DUH?????

I have never understood the people that spend $2000+ on a rifle and scope, tons of time at the range working up loads, a bunch more on gas, and buy cheap bullets - DUH?????

It's pure economics based entirely on where you are and what you do. For the average joe who prairie dog hunts twice a year it's not a big deal. Granted.

However at the moment we are shooting 200 to 300+ rounds a night, every night or second night for weeks at a time as paddocks get smashed by Roos during the drought. When you add it up the differences is thousands. My varmint shooter is currently a 223 or might soon turn to a 17WSM simply for economics. The 6-06 is a dog gun that's getting a thermal that doubles as a deer gun. So it just depends entirely on what you are doing. The TNT shows that just because is bulk and cheap doesn't mean it's not one of the best offerings out there

It's pure economics based entirely on where you are and what you do. For the average joe who prairie dog hunts twice a year it's not a big deal. Granted.

However at the moment we are shooting 200 to 300+ rounds a night, every night or second night for weeks at a time as paddocks get smashed by Roos during the drought. When you add it up the differences is thousands. My varmint shooter is currently a 223 or might soon turn to a 17WSM simply for economics. The 6-06 is a dog gun that's getting a thermal that doubles as a deer gun. So it just depends entirely on what you are doing. The TNT shows that just because is bulk and cheap doesn't mean it's not one of the best offerings out there

200-300 rounds per night? That sounds like a whole gondola full of fun!!!

I'd offer to help but the plane fare would be a bit stiff I imagine... LOL

They reckon 1.5 million are culled every year but I'd double that to be honest. There's more than 25 million in Australia already and they breed like flies. Bring your minigun...

There's more Roos than people, and more vegans than there should be...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.