Pleaseee No!!!

When I started driving gas was $0.21per gallon, a case of Stegmeyer Beer was $3.85 and a Berger/Fries was $0.98. So when I went on a date we got Two Burgers & Fries, a case of beer and filled the 16 gallon tank on my 69 Ford Pickup and went for a drive and then to a farmer's field. All this for less than $10.00
I remember most of that stuff myself, but it was Rolling Rock beer for me. If I could find someone to buy it for me. I was still young.

Yes sir. My first job was with the mob driving a truck. Grew up with the Medicos, Buteras, Brunos. We used to hunt near Bear Creek. Used to go to the Carrousel (I think)on the square in WB. Summers we spent at Harveys Lake. Good times there! Murder in WB was the norm. LOL Lots of bodies in the mines & pits.
I worked as a machinist at Medico Industries in 10th & 11 grade making casing for 60mm Mortars, 275mm Rockets, ect.
I could say some names that we both knew, but won't.
Harveys Lake and the "SQUARE" in WB.
We need to talk some time.

I worked as a machinist at Medico Industries in 10th & 11 grade making casing for 60mm Mortars, 275mm Rockets, ect.
I could say some names that we both knew, but won't.
Harveys Lake and the "SQUARE" in WB.
We need to talk some time.
Well right now I'm in Az. Left the Valley in 65 for NJ. Spent 35 years there working construction. got divorced. met a sweetheart country dancing & we moved to Henderson. Nevada. 18 years there & here we are now. I love it. This place is like a resort. LOL Yeah we need to talk. I may need some barrel work. LOL

I was on the west coast...
Olympia beer was hip...didn't dare swipe one from Dads stash...
Old English 800 was good back then...
Can't stomach much that they offer these days....esp. that crapp keystone...hamms.......putrid vile stomach turning garbage.....
The old Olympia Beer Brewery is still standing to this day, but has not been in operation for a long time. I remember it being in our fridge on a regular basis at home. My folks had their new 1971 Datsun pickup parked outside of a local grocery store and the Olympia Beer truck backed into it and crushed the side of the canopy my Dad had on it and dented the bed. The driver came in the store to see who it belonged to and I walked out with my Dad and the driver to inspect it. My Dad was crushed because that was the first and only New vehicle he had ever owned. The driver was real sorry and had my Dad stand by him while he used the pay phone outside the store to call his work. He gave my Dad several cases of Olympia beer, made sure he had our address correct along with our phone number and a couple of week later, got a letter stating where to take the truck and canopy to for repair/replacement. Next thing I knew, the dent was repaired, the canopy replaced and more cases of Olympia were dropped off at our house by the same driver. I haven't even thought about that stretch of time for many years now and your post made me go there.

The old Olympia Beer Brewery is still standing to this day, but has not been in operation for a long time. I remember it being in our fridge on a regular basis at home. My folks had their new 1971 Datsun pickup parked outside of a local grocery store and the Olympia Beer truck backed into it and crushed the side of the canopy my Dad had on it and dented the bed. The driver came in the store to see who it belonged to and I walked out with my Dad and the driver to inspect it. My Dad was crushed because that was the first and only New vehicle he had ever owned. The driver was real sorry and had my Dad stand by him while he used the pay phone outside the store to call his work. He gave my Dad several cases of Olympia beer, made sure he had our address correct along with our phone number and a couple of week later, got a letter stating where to take the truck and canopy to for repair/replacement. Next thing I knew, the dent was repaired, the canopy replaced and more cases of Olympia were dropped off at our house by the same driver. I haven't even thought about that stretch of time for many years now and your post made me go there.
I used to take the tour at the Oly brewery at least 6 times a year. That was back in the eighties, when you had to watch for the "Artisiens." A free tour was good for 3 free beers back in those days.

Last edited:
When I started driving gas was $0.21per gallon, a case of Stegmeyer Beer was $3.85 and a Berger/Fries was $0.98. So when I went on a date we got Two Burgers & Fries, a case of beer and filled the 16 gallon tank on my 69 Ford Pickup and went for a drive and then to a farmer's field. All this for less than $10.00
What was your yearly income then, what it is now?

What was your yearly income then, what it is now?
Well back then I lived off of what was known as "Wellfare and Food Stamps". Now I live off of Obama Care & Brandon Build Back Better with my entitlement Stimulus checks & Peach Card. It's all good since it's free! Drive an Escalade with 33" Mag Tires! Way better now! back then had to pay for beer - don't now. More FREE things.

Well back then I lived off of what was known as "Wellfare and Food Stamps". Now I live off of Obama Care & Brandon Build Back Better with my entitlement Stimulus checks & Peach Card. It's all good since it's free! Drive an Escalade with 33" Mag Tires! Way better now! back then had to pay for beer - don't now. More FREE things.

I have this discussion with friends how expensive cars and weapons are these days compared to 40 years ago. When I asked them to calculate the prices of 40 years ago as a percentage of pre-tax yearly income, and do the same on today's prices against their pre-tax income. It is a revelation.

Example in the PX in 74 I could order a Colt AR15A1 for 175. My yearly income was around 4300. The attached screenshot shows an AR15A4, for about 1200. A4 is much cheaper for me now even with just my retirement income.
Screenshot_20220630-152400_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I have this discussion with friends how expensive cars and weapons are these days compared to 40 years ago. When I asked them to calculate the prices of 40 years ago as a percentage of pre-tax yearly income, and do the same on today's prices against their pre-tax income. It is a revelation.
OK I'll Bite
Around $2,163.00 the year before I went into the USMC then and six years $150K before I was disabled 2016.
But not Apples to Apples.
One working in a Machine Shop 2nd shift
When I went into the Marines my base pay was about $3,600 and when I got out as E-5 Sergeant my pay was about $7,902.00.
Then 50 years later...
The other Manager of SE Region and $1 billion+ in accounts.

Things were much better back then for families than it is now!
NOW everything I saved for 50 years if worth 30-40% less so lost 20 years of savings and keeps getting less every day. My disability is the same and cost of living is skyrocketing with inflation out of control. Just wait till TAXES go up to pay for all the illegals and Government programs giving money from the working to non workers and takers for votes.

Last edited: