Pig hunting with knife and dogs

Do you have any connections for this type of hunt? Really would like to do it not inside of a fence. Don't know if that's possible? If you can hook us up with someone I would be glad to take y'all Walleye fishing on Green Bay here in Wisconsin in return.

Pm Sent.

Went with a guy that hunts this way. It was just about as different from what I was expecting as you could possibly imagine. Dogs bayed the pig. He turned lose the catch dog. Catch dog grabbed the pig in the face. Our guy eased up from behind and took him down rodeo style. He sat stretched out on the pig with one foot behind his ear and a knee on his hip. He rubbed the pig's belly until he calmed down and was quiet. Then he eased the knife into his heart. Took a couple of breaths and it was over. No squealing, kicking, nothing. Just about the quietest, most peaceful death I've ever witnessed. Absolutely nothing like what I expected.

I'll reserve my comment on this activity but will say that, if you eliminate the catch/hold/incapacitate pit bulls I'd be willing to rethink my opinion of this type of "hunting".

Just my thoughts
So that picture of you with the bear you didn't use dogs to run it up a tree and then shoot it while it sat on a limb looking down at you? Or did you shoot it as it sat at the bait box eating donuts?

B775ADD8-07CF-41B5-9173-23AF54C75DB5.jpeg
I grew up hunting pigs with dogs in western NSW Australia. It's a massive thing here but unfortunately there are a lot of people that poach and mistreat their dogs which gives the sport a bad name. I won't go into the animal welfare discussion but you can probably guess which side I'm on. Our dogs were always part of the family and treated as such. I have't owned a "lugging" dog for a few years now but have a GSP that will bail so I can get a bullet in. Every dog is different, some are better finders while others are best as back up dogs, an all rounder is not easy to come by and needs to be looked after when you find him. I've had a couple that would smell pigs from literally a mile away. When I get a chance I'll go through my old photo albums and post some pics on here.

The Pit Bulls are what make it fun! A 50# dog that will flat out slam a 350#
pig and bite it into submission! Like you trying to whip Brock Lesnar
These dogs are amazing! I have raised APBT's for over 40 years and they are the finest
dogs walking. They have NO fear! Right now I'm working with some Tom Garner "G.C. Chinaman ROM" blood mixed with some old Howard Heinzel stuff from Az.
It shows some real promise!

Last edited:
The Pit Bulls are what make it fun! A 50# dog that will flat out slam a 350#
pig and bite it into submission! Like you trying to whip Brock Lesnar
These dogs are amazing! I have raised APBT's for over 40 years and they are the finest
dogs walking. They have NO fear! Right now I'm working with some Tom Garner "G.C. Chinaman ROM" blood mixed with some old Howard Heinzel stuff from Az.
It shows some real promise!
Where do you live? Do you have a guide service? If not would you take me and my wife? I would trade you a Walleye fishing trip up on Green Bay Wisconsin.

Ok guys, since ethics have been brought up, please allow me to explain the experience in more detail. During my 60 years on this Earth I have been fortunate enough to have seen a lot of country and done many things outside of my comfort zone, which is Whitetails and Waterfowl. I have always entered each experience with an open mind. For me, the closest thing to it was hunting sheep. I swore to the Good Lord that if he let me off that mountain alive, never again. Learned that day I am not an adrenaline junkie. The thrill is in the danger, and trust me it is dangerous. Our hero has some wicked scars to prove it. So do his dogs. The Pit Bull has two functions, to protect the chase dogs (in this case Black Mouth Curr) and distract the pig so the hunter can catch him. Reason for the knife, is it is very dangerous for the dogs to shoot a pig in the middle of all this. We killed three pigs that day. The first two went down without incident. The third, not so much. Each pig went about a mile or so before it bayed. Everything has to go down very quickly or a dog will get hurt. As soon as the pig stops you move in close with the catch dog and then in seconds its over. It was about 25deg that day. The third pig bayed on the other side on a creek that was about nipple deep. We lost time looking for a place to cross, our guy stripped to his underwear and crossed the creek carrying the catch dog to save his dogs. He killed the hog, about a 400lb boar, but two dogs got hurt. By the time the rest of us sissies crossed on a log it was over. He sewed up the dogs and then we built a fire to warm him. As far as the hunt goes, this guy was as ethical as any hunter I have ever met. If there is any cruelty, I would side with the dogs, but they live for it, and like the hunter, are more than willing to die for it. As for me, this kind of hunting is not for me, but I do understand it and respect it. He has the same bond with his dogs that I have with my Labs. Maybe even stronger. Not sure if I am man enough to seriously risk my life to save my dog, but I hope I am. I left that day with a lot of respect for the guy, but will not do it again. Please guys, never judge other hunters and their sport. Most of them carry the same passion you do.

One note to the OP, think twice before you do this, especially with your wife. There is a lot of running involved. The pigs will head straight for the thickest cover they can find. You will be cut to pieces by briars, and trip and fall several times. Everything will go down at very close range in a place you can only see feet, not yards. Very dangerous. The pigs are very well armed. Trust me.

One note to the OP, think twice before you do this, especially with your wife. There is a lot of running involved. The pigs will head straight for the thickest cover they can find. You will be cut to pieces by briars, and trip and fall several times. Everything will go down at very close range in a place you can only see feet, not yards. Very dangerous. The pigs are very well armed. Trust me.
Thanks for the warning but that's why they call it hunting and not killing. Kind of evens things out for the pigs. My wife has done 3 back pack wilderness hunts with me and been through some pretty tough situations I think she will be fine. She would probably stick me if I told her she couldn't go.

I'll reserve my comment on this activity but will say that, if you eliminate the catch/hold/incapacitate pit bulls I'd be willing to rethink my opinion of this type of "hunting".

Just my thoughts
Catch dog did not break the skin on any of the three hogs we killed. Reminds me of a lab and Canada geese. A Canada will whip a young dog. Once they learn to grab it by the breast the goose will just give up. Sorta the same thing.

Knowing first hand how destructive and dangerous hogs are, there is only one way to kill hogs, "DEAD". Humane has nothing to do with with taking hogs. The terrain has lots to do with the method used . The reason this method is used is because in some areas, the brush is to thick and seeing one becomes very unlikely.

Just like lion hunting, Dogs can find a very elusive prey and locate it for the hunter. Ethics comes in to play when and if you kill it.

I applaud anyone that sets standards for humane kills and sticks with them. But different game and different terrain may change the hunting method the only humane way to kill something so that it doesn't suffer any longer than possible (Even Hogs). Poor shots with a rifle to a spear are inhumane for the pain they inflict for long periods of time. so what ever the method used, being proficient
is essential.

There will always be a controversial way to hunt certain species to some, and others have a different opinion about the same method but fair chase and quick kills are my preferred way. I have hunted Hogs many different ways and have my own preferences but the one thing that never changes is clean and quick no matter what the method.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

My preferred method is to shoot one that is calm and hasn't been running. Base of the ear or between the eyes. I intend to eat them, and ANY animal harvested this way eats better. But in south Arkansas and some of East Texas and Louisiana it is so thick that the only ways to kill them are coming to a feeder, trap, dogs, chance. They are a real problem and have really hurt the deer and turkey hunting there. They get feeder shy really quick too. The most effective way is traps, which I like less than dogs. Hunting them with dogs will push them over to someone else's property for a while. That's why it is popular down there. The reality is it is not that different from using dogs to chase crippled waterfowl, or hunting lions or bears with dogs. Can be more dangerous mostly because of the thick cover.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.